Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm considering whether to get Exodus and noticed that the rules say to put in an extra not-a-cylon card regardless of whether or not you are using the option conflicted loyalty cards or final five. I'm trying to figure out why you would want to put in an extra loyalty card if you don't use Pegasus (basically no executions) and if you don't use final five or conflicted loyalties. Doesn't the extra card in that case just mean there's a chance for one less cylon? What's the upside to it?

P.S. I looked at other threads on this and they keep talking about Pegasus and executions and final five and conflicted loyalties. But if I'm not using any of those things why put in the extra card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S. I'll probably get it just for the Cylon Fleet board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra card always means that there's a chance for one less cylon. I played 5 games in a row at my FLGS where we only had 1 cylon in a 5 player game. I hate that rule with a passion.

I understand why they made it (so that you don't immediately execute the admiral after sleeper phase to get a human admiral), but I just don't think the benefits outweigh the risks.

[/rant]

I do believe there are executions in the Exodus crisis deck, so that may be why that rule is also in that expansion even though there is no airlock or any of the other main executions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim West
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Exodus contains some crisis cards that include executions as possible outcomes, and one of the new characters (Callie) has an execution as her OPG.

You could opt not to use these if you want to avoid executions, but part of the CFB is the addition of the CAG (lead pilot) and several of the new crises are CAG decisions, so you'd be losing out on this aspect of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference is to set up the loyaly deck without the extra card, and do the following:
-if human is executed before sleeper phase, shuffle his cards into the loyalty deck and draw the same number of replacements.
-if human is executed after sleeper phase, he must pass his titles before selecting a new character, regardless of his new characters possession in the line of succession.

As long as you arent using the Pegasus board, execution as a loyalty check is not easily abusable, and we find the above changes sufficient to completely shut it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I play without the extra YANAC card. Instead, I use a 2nd Loyalty Deck. The deck has 1 Cylon card and 11 YANAC cards. You either need to be using the conflicted loyalties variant, or use a few conflicted loyalties cards, but explain they are just substitutions for YANAC cards (because you dont have enough YANAC cards).

Each time a person is executed, they take a card from this deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Entice wrote:
The extra card always means that there's a chance for one less cylon. I played 5 games in a row at my FLGS where we only had 1 cylon in a 5 player game. I hate that rule with a passion.

I understand why they made it (so that you don't immediately execute the admiral after sleeper phase to get a human admiral), but I just don't think the benefits outweigh the risks.

[/rant]

I do believe there are executions in the Exodus crisis deck, so that may be why that rule is also in that expansion even though there is no airlock or any of the other main executions.

Correct, Exodus has some execution possibilities and by the Exodus rules you have a card in the Loyalty Deck for the new draws at all times.

As far as your FLGS: get someone else to shuffle the cards and buy a lottery ticket. 5 games in a row with one of the two Cylon cards at the very bottom is slim odds (somewhere around 3% if nobody ever chooses Baltar or Boomer, less if they do).

Regardless of the odds, though, you have to weigh the risk of one Cylon against the reward of unsure loyalties. If your group doesn't think the risk is worth it, then house rule it. Our group, however, has had the Cylons learn that if one of them can convince the group that the last Loyalty Card is a Cylon card (when it's not), they can do some pretty evil deeds.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the extra loyalty card should only be used together with the Conflicted Loyalties option. Especially the Personal Goals provide a balancing element to help the Cylons when there are too few of them in the game. The drawback is that the game becomes harder for the Humans when all Cylons are in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
So I'm considering whether to get Exodus and noticed that the rules say to put in an extra not-a-cylon card regardless of whether or not you are using the option conflicted loyalty cards or final five. I'm trying to figure out why you would want to put in an extra loyalty card if you don't use Pegasus (basically no executions) and if you don't use final five or conflicted loyalties. Doesn't the extra card in that case just mean there's a chance for one less cylon? What's the upside to it?

P.S. I looked at other threads on this and they keep talking about Pegasus and executions and final five and conflicted loyalties. But if I'm not using any of those things why put in the extra card?

Some do just leave the extra YANAC card when NOT using Confl. Loy.

There are executions in Exodus crisis cards, with Cally basically being the "walking Airlock". This way, you can't just pop someone and know for sure that he's human for the rest of the game, or until sleeper phase.

Having an undealt cylon card ruins it for some, so you could always do a house rule where at the end of the game, if there's still a leftover cylon card, either:
1) do one more jump
2) reduce the lowest resource by one (may want to do one less of each if playing with a CL, as this now affects Agendas/Motives from Peg/Day respectively), damage 1 or 2 locations, and/or each centurion moves up +1 to compensate.

I will say we had one 5p game where a cylon revealed ASAP, did ALOT of damage, and we barely won. We officially won the game, but technically, he won since he nearly killed us in a 1 vs. 4 situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, a while after I posted this I realized that Exodus has them so that whenever someone is executed you won't know for sure if they're a cylon or human. Executions are probably more common in Pegasus but they can happen in Exodus too. So even without using the personal motives or final five it's still probably a good idea to have the extra card in the deck in case someone is executed. (I have a feeling the odds of a potential execution are a bit higher than the odds that the last card is a cylon. Maybe, depending on the group.)

Anyway I did end up picking up Exodus on the way home today. The cylon fleet board looked worth it plus I like the characters and cards. I'm not sold on the other optional rules yet but maybe once we play more I'll try some of them out. I already have Daybreak also, not planning to get Pegasus yet though since I'm not really interested in anything in that expansion other than the characters maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
My group never adds the extra loyalty card to the deck, regardless of which game mode we're playing. (We hate the chance of 'missing cylon syndrome'. It ruins the game)
Instead, if someone is executed, currently we always make a new loyalty deck of 3 YANAC cards(which might also be FF or PG cards) and one YAAC card.
So they have a quarter chance of coming back as a cylon, so their allegiance is still unknown after execution.

I think it might need fixing though, if they do come back as a cylon, then sometimes cylons end up outnumbering the humans, and it's too easy for them.
Maybe this: If a player is executed and is human, they are dealt new loyalty cards from a deck comprising completely of PG cards, equal to the amount of loyalty cards they discarded when they were executed.
If they were executed by another player, that player is also dealt 1 PG card.

So executing a human would be very damaging to the whole crew. As well as the loss of morale, extra personal goals would make things a lot harder for them. This way, they wont execute a player unless they know for certain that it's a cylon. Getting it wrong would just be too painful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't that then give a hidden cylon a great incentive to execute someone, spreading PGs around to the killed person and then getting one themselves that they get to pass off when they reveal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:
My group never adds the extra loyalty card to the deck, regardless of which game mode we're playing. (We hate the chance of 'missing cylon syndrome'. It ruins the game)
Instead, if someone is executed, currently we always make a new loyalty deck of 3 YANAC cards(which might also be FF or PG cards) and one YAAC card.
So they have a quarter chance of coming back as a cylon, so their allegiance is still unknown after execution.

I think it might need fixing though, if they do come back as a cylon, then sometimes cylons end up outnumbering the humans, and it's too easy for them.
Maybe this: If a player is executed and is human, they are dealt new loyalty cards from a deck comprising completely of PG cards, equal to the amount of loyalty cards they discarded when they were executed.
If they were executed by another player, that player is also dealt 1 PG card.

So executing a human would be very damaging to the whole crew. As well as the loss of morale, extra personal goals would make things a lot harder for them. This way, they wont execute a player unless they know for certain that it's a cylon. Getting it wrong would just be too painful.

We used to do this, and found it worked fairly well, although we used 5 YANAC cards, which you might want to consider. 25% is pretty high.
Nowadays, we use a Sympathizer card instead of the Cylon card in the execution deck, although we have homebrewed agendas that work better than base game sympathizer. The lower the chance of turning into a Cylon, the fewer games messed up due to imbalance, but you'll always maintain the post-execution paranoia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.