Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is supposed to be more of a downtime/calm before the storm scenario, but I was disappointed with my first play of Local Heroes. Despite the unique structure, it ended up feeling like every other scenario, but without the villains and henchmen that normally make things unique. I came up with a few ideas that would make it feel more meaningful.

1) Setup: Before building the location decks, separate out all named allies from the Ally deck. Do not use these when building locations. When adding 1 Ally per location as "henchmen," take them randomly from the named allies.

2) Gameplay: You may immediately attempt to close a location only after acquiring a NAMED ally. Thematically, you are seeking out the important people in the town for information, and you can't stop searching a location until you find them. However, the penalty for failing to acquire an ally (discard from blessings deck) still applies to ALL allies. This makes it slightly tougher, but the guaranteed chance to meet named allies might balance that, especially for 4 or fewer players.

3) Reward: Instead of gaining a random ally from the box, you get a temporary, onetime card feat of 1 Ally card (don't mark this on your character card). In other words, each character may keep up to 1 additional ally when rebuilding their decks at the end of the scenario. This only applies if you have enough allies to go around; you don't get to draw an additional ally from the box if you haven't earned any extras during the scenario.

Thoughts? Has anybody come up with other tweaks to the existing scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, and the reward... since it was about finding heroes and not just standard allies, this kind of guarantees each may have one of these special allies...though some aren't that great depending on the party makeup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this too. Closing locations and acquiring standard bearers and the ilk is pretty uneventful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Isaak
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions. Almost every scenario of PACG would benefit from a little more purposeful construction.

To achieve increased impact in other scenarios, we've tried things such as putting the villain at a known location and saying that only defeat of a designated henchman opens up the villain's location.

Some may not like that tinkering but we prefer it to "putting all the cards in a blender" scenario construction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donovani wrote:
Great suggestions. Almost every scenario of PACG would benefit from a little more purposeful construction.

To achieve increased impact in other scenarios, we've tried things such as putting the villain at a known location and saying that only defeat of a designated henchman opens up the villain's location.

Some may not like that tinkering but we prefer it to "putting all the cards in a blender" scenario construction.

I'm not sure I would do this in every scenario, but it would be a nice tweak to scenarios with named henchmen...the villain's location doesn't get opened up until the named henchman is defeated. The first scenario of Burnt Offerings would be great to try that on.

I'm working on a variant that introduces new cards into the game more slowly, which I will try after i get through the latest adventure deck, and I'll try out some scenario tweaks and other minor tweaks at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.