United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
A fantastic university for studying...
badge
SPACE!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have about $30, but I can probably get about $15 more if I think it's worth it. It's for his birthday party.

He isn't a huge gamer, but I've introduced him to a few games, and he's loved ALL of them.
Those games are:

Memoir '44
The Resistance
Kill Doctor Lucky

I'm thinking Ticket to Ride, because it's really easy to learn, fun, and short. Do you have any better suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend a good gateway game:

Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Finseth
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
SPACE!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
I'd recommend a good gateway game:

Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Dominion

I own all three of those, and since we live literally a block away, giving those to him doesn't make much sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had great success with all of these amongst non-gamers. Usually they result in group cheers or groans.

Long Shot
Lords of Vegas
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Coup
Bohnanza
Las Vegas
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game - If he Isn't against getting into a money sink
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Finseth
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
SPACE!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
He isn't a non gamer, it's just that he hasn't played games in a REALLY long time, and doesn't know many board games. He's great with card games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny E
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG Gift Guide is a great resource, but I'll add my personal opinions as well.

Ticket to Ride and King of Tokyo aren't bad choices, so I'll just add to, not replace that suggestion.

It looks like you and your friend are able to play games with larger groups. Considering that, I would suggest Formula D, as it can play up to 10 people and is quite fun all the way down to 2. However, it seems this game costs around $40, towards the upper end of your price range. This is one of my favorite gateway games and people really seem to enjoy it.

Another one to look at would be Small World. It's listed at an 80 minute game, but I find the games I play, even with 4 people (it is 2-5 players), go about an hour. It's fun, easy to understand, and always involves interaction.

I suggest these two because both you and your friend can play a two player game, they can be unwrapped and almost immediately played at the party with many people, and are fast paced.

If you wanted to go a different route and buy a smaller group game he might enjoy, I would suggest Forbidden Desert if he's never played a cooperative game, Hive if you think he'd like a good abstract and/or travels. In addition, buy a cheap, fast, fun party game like We Didn't Playtest This At All to play with larger groups when you have them, like at the party. It looks like that wouldn't cost more than about $35 including shipping, so it would stay within your price range and give two different game experiences.

Make sure you check out the dozens of online tutorials, and reviews about these games so you get a feel for them. Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Edit: Forgot to personally endorse King of Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.