Popular Tags: [View All]
bayard catron
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Does the "inevitable betrayal" intrigue card get to go back and forth an unlimited number of times (as long as the game lasts?) This is the card that you give to your opponent after you play it on him and steal from him.

2. There is a way (quest reward, i think) of getting the ability to place an agent on an action space occupied by an opponent's agent. This would apply to the ambassador and the lieutenant as well, but NOT your own agents, correct (that is, it wouldn't let you use the same space twice in a round.)

3. There is a means of playing on an unbuilt building in Builder's Hall. This does not block anyone from playing on Builder's hall... but would that person be able to purchase the building that someone has placed an agent on? What about if someone has the ability to play on a space with an opponent's agent (see question 2 above) - would that person be able to place on the unbuilt building, because there is an opponent's agent on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weis
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bayard wrote:
1. Does the "inevitable betrayal" intrigue card get to go back and forth an unlimited number of times (as long as the game lasts?) This is the card that you give to your opponent after you play it on him and steal from him.

Yes. The trick is to use whatever you stole before the other player has a chance to play it back on you.

bayard wrote:
2. There is a way (quest reward, i think) of getting the ability to place an agent on an action space occupied by an opponent's agent. This would apply to the ambassador and the lieutenant as well, but NOT your own agents, correct (that is, it wouldn't let you use the same space twice in a round.)

Correct, unless you control the Lieutenant, in which case he isn't considered an opponent. The Ambassador is always considered an opponent's agent (this also means you don't get to reassign him from Waterdeep Harbor at the end of the round).

bayard wrote:
3. There is a means of playing on an unbuilt building in Builder's Hall. This does not block anyone from playing on Builder's hall... but would that person be able to purchase the building that someone has placed an agent on? What about if someone has the ability to play on a space with an opponent's agent (see question 2 above) - would that person be able to place on the unbuilt building, because there is an opponent's agent on it?

Yes. You can purchase a building from Builder's Hall if there is an agent on it. The agent moves with the building into play. And a building in Builder's Hall is a valid target for Bride Agent, Zoarstar, Magister's Orb, etc. if there is an opponent's agent on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
incinerator wrote:

Yes. You can purchase a building from Builder's Hall if there is an agent on it. The agent moves with the building into play. And a building in Builder's Hall is a valid target for Bride Agent, Zoarstar, Magister's Orb, etc. if there is an opponent's agent on it.

OK, noob here in great confusion. Am I playing this wrong? When I decide to buy a building in Builder's Hall, I immediately put an agent on it and move it out of the hall into an open building space, taking whatever benefits are shown for the building.

So how can you have a building in Builder's Hall with an agent on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cstimpson wrote:
OK, noob here in great confusion. Am I playing this wrong? When I decide to buy a building in Builder's Hall, I immediately put an agent on it and move it out of the hall into an open building space, taking whatever benefits are shown for the building.

You should be placing an Agent on the Builder's Hall and leaving it there. You put the building into play and you do not get its benefit. Only the player that assigns an Agent to that building gets the benefit.

There are Intrigue cards that allow you to assign an Agent to a building in the Builder's Hall to get its benefit without building the building, though. You could play that Intrigue card, then somebody else could assign an Agent to the Builder's Hall and build the one to which your Agent is already assigned. In this case, your Agent moves with the building (so it won't be accessible to others until the next round, probably).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
cstimpson wrote:

You should be placing an Agent on the Builder's Hall and leaving it there. You put the building into play and you do not get its benefit. Only the player that assigns an Agent to that building gets the benefit.

There are Intrigue cards that allow you to assign an Agent to a building in the Builder's Hall to get its benefit without building the building, though. You could play that Intrigue card, then somebody else could assign an Agent to the Builder's Hall and build the one to which your Agent is already assigned. In this case, your Agent moves with the building (so it won't be accessible to others until the next round, probably).

Clipper is right. You do however place a token of your faction in the corner to mark it is yours. (So you might not get to use the ability this round, but you would instead get the owners benefit.

The only way to build and play a building in the same turn is to first play the Accelerate Plans Intrigue Card (remove 1 worker from Waterdeep Harbour and then play 2 units immediately). Then build the building in the Builder's Hall and place your second worker on your building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

Wow - I was playing it wrong! So - in the above example - I assume that the player who actually pays for the building is the second one, and by paying for it he earns the benefit. (So what's the value of just 'placing an Agent on the Builder's Hall and leaving it there'?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cstimpson wrote:
Clipper wrote:

Wow - I was playing it wrong! So - in the above example - I assume that the player who actually pays for the building is the second one, and by paying for it he earns the benefit. (So what's the value of just 'placing an Agent on the Builder's Hall and leaving it there'?).

It is two actions:

1. Place an Agent on the Builder's Hall.
-- This permits you to pay the coin and place the building into play, with your token on it to represent your ownership.
-- Just like with all other actions, once you place your agent there it remains there until the end of the round, or until some other action retrieves it. (Except for Waterdeep Harbor)

2. You (or someone else) place their Agent on the Building, now that it is build, in the row of buildings. They take the action from the Building for having placed an Agent there, and you receive the Ownership Reward for the building.

Aside from a few notable Intrigue cards, you place your Agent on the Building Hall, and leave it there, to take the action of placing the Building.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my first game (2 up) playing it right! Yes, it works, although for a multiplayer game it must suck buying a building and watching everyone else squat on it! angry

Also, if the agent sits in builders' hall the whole round, it effectively means only one building gets built per round, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cstimpson wrote:
Just finished my first game (2 up) playing it right! Yes, it works, although for a multiplayer game it must suck buying a building and watching everyone else squat on it! angry

Nope, as you get the owner's bonus whenever somebody else uses your building. You only get the building's bonus if you use your own building. Buying a building that you think others will want to use frequently is a very good strategy, as you will get a lot of VPs or extra cubes without needing to take actions to do so. You also have the option to use your own building for its benefit too, but you will not get the owner's bonus in that case.

Quote:
Also, if the agent sits in builders' hall the whole round, it effectively means only one building gets built per round, right?

Yes, unless one of the methods to assign an Agent to an occupied space comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.