Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just soloing the game to get the rules, and Cthulu has just obliterated Paris in which there is a hidden old one - does the old one survive (and thus the hiding player retain the 4 VPs for hiding the spanner in the toolchest), or does the old one die along with the hiding player's VPs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How does he obliterate Paris ?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duckizz wrote:
How does he obliterate Paris ?!?

When you take the Cthulu card, 'you select one city to destroy' (page 14 of the rules, which then goes on to outline the damage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. Silly me I haven't encountered the card /ignoreme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume the royalty has been hidden far enough from Paris to survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my view the rules of Cthulhu are pretty clear (but easy to overlook):
Quote:
Any Control disc in the city is returned to the owning player, who then reduces his victory point total.

Since you also place a control disk, when hiding a royalty, you should also lose the points, if Cthulhu destroys the City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But is that control disk in the city? I'm not sure about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:

I would say so. There are only control disks for the city itself and for assassination/hiding of the royalty. The text of Cthulhu would probably point out, that only the control disk for control of the city is to be removed, if that was true.

From a thematic stand point, you surely may understand the way you do: On one hand, the royalty is hidden and far away from Cthulhu's destruction. On the other hand, an assassinated royalty does not come back to life, if the city is destroyed. But still, this is not the way I interpret the rules text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:

I also don't think the control disk for the Royalty is in the city. The Cthulhu card specifically tells you what to do with the game cards on the city, and what to do with the city card itself, but it makes no mention of the royalty.

If we ignore the rules and argue thematically, I interpret "Hide Royalty" as meaning the royal is nowhere to be found. They didn't just move him across the street, but he's totally gone and effectively not on the board anymore. The royal represents a character, not a location-specific appendage to the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
If cards are in the city, and royals to be hidden or assassinated are in the city, then I see no reasonable argument (from a rules perspective) that control disks for assassinated or hidden royals are not also in the city.

I refuse to argue what is thematically correct as that is a wormhole of despair. Games are games. Not simulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the other possibility- an assassinated royal. If Cthulhu destroys the city, the royal is somehow no longer assassinated because you consider that control disc inside the city, and have removed it.

I don't consider royals to be *inside* the cities for this reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
I'm surprised Martin hasn't commented here. I can see either rules option working.

I'm not sure "cards are in the city" is entirely accurate. Part of the problem is that "City" seems to be rather loosely defined. It seems to sometimes means the combined card/city area, and it sometimes just means the city box area.

The exact same problem follows Devil's Island.

I'm more likely to say that it only affects the control marker on the city box BUT I admit I very well could be wrong. Without MW telling us otherwise we will never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the assassination case makes the point quite clearly. And note that the rule uses disc in the singular. To be clear, Cthulhu can't reinstate an assassinated royal, so doesn't remove all discs, so no reason to assume it removes a hidden royal disc. And to do so would require a plural too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerhardt Schroeder
msg tools
mbmb
Dearlove wrote:
I think the assassination case makes the point quite clearly. And note that the rule uses disc in the singular. To be clear, Cthulhu can't reinstate an assassinated royal, so doesn't remove all discs, so no reason to assume it removes a hidden royal disc. And to do so would require a plural too.

Yup. The rules aren't totally clear on this, but killing a hidden royal would require also un-killing an assassinated royal, which would be an absurd result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.