United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the opposite sides of the ship's base have different firing arcs and points of sail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't so. Why?

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
I wouldn't so. Why?

-Ski

I would so.

If they're the same both sides, why make them flippable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
Teamski wrote:
I wouldn't so. Why?

-Ski

I would so.

If they're the same both sides, why make them flippable?

I meant to say I didn't think so. I misunderstood the question, which is a good one. I don't know if they are simply different ships with the same stats or different ones.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are "sister ships" and built very similarly.

I suspect there might be minor gun differences in term of weight but can't imagine the arcs themselves being different. I think the "arcs" are pretty much standard, just like range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The ships on the two sides are essentially the same ship in build. There are sometimes small differencies in armament and crew, which are visible on the ship logs (gun and crew stats), but not on the ship base itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there may be some confusion here.

Some folks seem to think this is referring to the opposite sides larboard/starboard (a.k.a. port/starboard), that is, to the left/right of the sailing direction of the ship. I would think those sides would indeed be exact mirrors of one another. I'm sure there's some exception out there, but I don't recall reading about any ships being build non-symmetrically in that manner, unless it was some special purpose ship (victualing ship or something).

Other folks seem to be thinking of what I might call the top/bottom (or top/flip side) of the base for the ship. Perhaps the OP was thinking this, and thinking that a single ship model might be used to represent two ships fairly similar in appearance, but with slightly different points of sailing, or gun arcs.

Hmm, on re-reading, perhaps I'm the only one who was thinking port/starboard at all, as I haven't been keeping close watch on the ship models, and haven't seen if the bases are printed on both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:

Hmm, on re-reading, perhaps I'm the only one who was thinking port/starboard at all, as I haven't been keeping close watch on the ship models, and haven't seen if the bases are printed on both sides.

You weren't the only one. My initial response was thinking he meant port/starboard. Re-reading it, he meant the base. Remember, it is the card on the base that has two sides, not the base itself. You flip the card under the ship to change it's ID. This is why I bought two of very ship of the line and only one of each frigate for larger battles.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I did mean two sides as in flipping the card over. Not port vs starboard. I was thinking that this would be a way of having two ships of very similar makeup have slightly different handling characteristics...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.