Memoir '44» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Longvilly Trap outcome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emma
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the Longvilly Trap scenario from Winter Wars 3 times last nite. To my surprise the Allies won all 3! 6-1 6-1 6-3

Is this the normal outcome or were the Axis just having a bad night?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the online AARs the Allies win this game 54% of the time:

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/battles/?id=1310&ret...

This is based on 57 battles reported. Your grouping of three wins for the Allies would not be out of the ordinary statistically. I have both won and lost this battle as Allies myself and in my own experience come more closer to the mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
memoir44fan fanss
msg tools
just played it twice

in one accasion we had an 6-3 victory for the allies, but i played against an inexperienced player

the other time allied won with 6 to axis 4.

The thing is: agter the Tank Dsteroyer units are busted by allied armor overruns ..as soon as you drive your axis armor into the pocket/ the trap axis gets trapped.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the axis were probably having a bad night losing all 3 and with low scores as well. Ouch. It is difficult for the allies to shift their units to the right to exits with only a 4-card hand. The axis should get 2-3 medals near the roadblock by sniping with their 2 mortars and 2 artillery (and even tank) on the 5, at-start, no-retreat units--flags still count in reduced visibility and that artillery is very vulnerable with only 2 figures. Stars also count so keep firing your TDs (which are pretty tough at 4 figures) at the lead armor. In addition the Germans need to bring their 3 tanks into play to cover the exits--the center tank to the top exit and then at least 1 of the 2 to the other exit. These armor are crucial for stopping any breakthroughs and you need to correctly anticipate where they will be needed. Finally, if the allies just hole up, consider charging with your armor for your remaining medals to close out the game. Yes, if I remember correctly, with the 4-card allies hand, it was tough to win this one against a patient and aggressive German. The combat cards can really make a big impact on this one as well and you should definitely incorporate them into your strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies it gives me hope that it was just a bad nite for the axis. I'm sure I could've supported my tank destroyers a bit better on my axis turn though.

During my allied go I did get some very good cards, armour assault etc which made escape on the road so much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.