Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 3 Player Session: Winging it (SPOILERS FOR HAUNT 35) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Sexton
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
There were three of us playing, two of which (myself included) had played the game once before and one newbie. The characters chosen were Madame Zostra for the newbie, 'Flash' Williams for my teenage son and I chose Professor Longfellow. Zostra went first and began to explore the ground floor. She triggered and event immediately: the Burning Man, she managed not to catch fire but had to flee back to the entrance hall. Flash then found the coal chute on his turn and slid into the basement handily finding the medallion but forcing us to take a make a haunt roll. We passed easily. I took it upon myself to also explore the ground floor and found the graveyard which so shocked me that I went from a Phd to MSc in one dice-roll (I failed my sanity roll and lost 1 knowledge). As if that wasn't bad enough, blood began to run down the walls. Luckily I kept my marbles and actually gained some sanity.

In the second turn Zostra explored the ground floor further and found the Skull (still haunt free), Flash triggered the mystic slide which sent me tumbling into the basement but luckily without a scratch and I found a puzzle box which opened to reveal a bell and the book. The house was opening up nicely and bestowing us with giving us some nice items. Things were looking rosy.

Turn three went fairly uneventfully for Zostra, finding the music box and revealed the Vault for Flash who just didn't have the acumen to open it. So it fell to me (since I was in the vicinity) to crack the code. I was having an off day but I wouldn't give up that easily. Both Flash and I plugged away at it, and I finally opened it on turn six, claiming the Amulet of Ages and some Dynamite. I joked that it had better not be me who turned traitor and the laughs were a little nervous in reply.

The subsequent turns revealed Omen after Omen: Mask for Zostra, Madman for Flash and (after being taken to the first floor by the mystic elevator) Girl for me. Still, we successfully avoided the Haunt but things were getting tense. Then Flash found Bite, that's when the wheels fell off and the Haunt began.

It turns out that sweet Professor Longfellow wasn't so sweet after all and had, in fact, lured the others to his house only to release a gas that shrank them all to the size of mice and had released a cat to finish them off. Their only escape was to find a toy aeroplane and fly to safety.

It was the professor's turn next but we were unsure when the monster got a turn. Not wanting to put off our newbie by ending the game too soon and on a sour note, I ruled that everyone could have one more turn before the feline began to prowl. So I mistakenly began to search further into the house before realising there was no point now that I was unable to collect anything, Zostra searched for and found the plane immediately and started it successfully but had to wait for her next turn to fly it. Flash began to search desperately for the stairs and I turned around and resolved to take the risky descent of the main staircase to try and intercept the plane should it escape my feline assassin. The cat found Zostra easily and threw her around like a tiny rag-doll. It was only a matter of time before she became its next meal.

Flash found his staircase and successfully scrambled up but failed to rescue Zostra from the cat. He did however manage to board the plane, evade the kitty's claws and make it to the hallway where I was waiting with my dynamite. I lobbed it into the cockpit and the plane exploded. I had won.

Once the Haunt began we found we had to make a few rules up: there were no rules we could find for when the Monsters took their turn, it could just be I couldn't see them but I didn't want to slow things down by poring over the rule-book for 10 minutes; I couldn't see a rule for damaging the plane with the dynamite, although the players told me that it could be done so we had to fudge that one, too. Basically, as it was getting late, I gave Flash two options: either we could call it a night and declare the plane destroyed and him killed or we could just destroy the plane and play on, allowing him to find another while also being hunted by the cat. He was pretty tired so he opted for the first option, vowing to return to the game again for revenge. I'm not sure if those events were actually covered and we were just too tired to find them or if they are as vague as we found them to be. I'd be interested to hear if other players have encountered these problems or similar in this haunt and how they resolved them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoLeftThumbs wrote:
there were no rules we could find for when the Monsters took their turn, it could just be I couldn't see them but I didn't want to slow things down by poring over the rule-book for 10 minutes
I don't know about this specific haunt, but the standard rule is that you start the haunt with the player to the left of the traitor, then you go around the table until you get to the traitor, and the monsters go right before the traitor takes his own turn (if any). (going from memory: hope I got that right)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sexton
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
So the turn order resets? I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.