Jeremy Williams
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not the werewolf!
mbmbmbmbmb
In this update, Ensignia has announced that there will be included ca 2 community cardcards!!!. Lets get these ideas here where we can thumbs up the popular ideas and have a better visual representation of whats popular.

I'll refrain from posting my ideas right away Have fun!

Things to keep in mind
- We'll probably want this as a bottom up design. That means we'll pick a well known object, maybe/maybe not tweak it a little, and come up w/ a mechanic for that object.
- Don't make it so OP. It'll be awesome enough because it comes from us and the Kickstarter will be the only crew that has it.
- Make it different from what we've seen. I don't think we want to see something that just flat out gives infamy. Make it interesting!
- Ensignia suggests using the Crew score. Also, if designing a Fortune, make sure that it can be resolved on that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
msg tools
1) Roll a dice and get 1-6 of your favorite cargo (still obey cargohold limits)

2) "You found the eye of the future" which reveals the top card of each pile

3) "You found the secret sand of time" and can take two turns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Chapman
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about something that gives a pretty good advantage?

Like a set of sails that allows you to ignore negative wind effects?

Perhaps a figurehead that if you're within a certain range of another player's ship makes all their moves count as against the wind?

A spyglass that lets you get a preview of a card stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Whitehair
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
a get out of free 'losing your relic' card. thats my idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack R
msg tools
arrrhRelic: Fine Bottle of Rum: +3 to Cannons; -1 to Crew, Sails and Hold (or roll for a random direction when moving--you know, drunk sailing and all).

arrrhRelic: Cursed Treasure: +3 to Cannons, Sails, Hold; You may not increase Crew.

arrrhRelic: Captain's Mistress: Whenever you gain doubloons for traded goods, +2 doubloons

arrrhRelic: Dead Albatross: When a player forces you to give up a relic, shuffle all of your relics (including this one) and they draw one at random. If you took this from someone, -1 to all attributes.

arrrhRelic: Lost Map of Isla Escondita: Remove this relic from the game to immediately draw a port card. Trade goods immediately and discard the port card. Otherwise +1 to sails, crew, cannon and hold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Williams
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not the werewolf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Davy Jones' Locker - worth 0 infamy. Each time the owners ship is scuttled, it goes to the victor and is worth +1 infamy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Falconer

Saint Louis
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Relic: Mermaid's Blessing: +2 to sails, Whenever you sell goods add 1 to the price for the item.

arrrh Relic: Sparrow's Compass: Swap port cards between 2 ports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Bennett
Canada
Canwood
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heres a couple, one based on legend another on a real ship

Perhaps also Lost Treasure of Flor de la Mar - Maybe similiar to Warren's idea. In that its potentially dropped. When attacked it is dropped on that sea space. The player that dropped it cannot retrieve it again until it has been picked up by someone else and dropped. Grants a certain amount of infamy or bonus. could use a marker to show where treasure is dropped.

Or

Paititi Plunder - another treasure - maybe grants additional currency based on how many goods you can carry. The more goods you can carry the more it grants you, such as +2 or +3 or however much seems good for each upgrade slot.

Monkeys paw - cursed relic. Gives -1 or -2 infamy? But can automatically be given to an attacking player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McCauley
msg tools
jibbyjackjoe wrote:
Davy Jones' Locker - worth 0 infamy. Each time the owners ship is scuttled, it goes to the victor and is worth +1 infamy.
my vote would Definitly go to this relic. I think it would force more player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Morgan
msg tools
my idea was some sort of kickstart mechanic where you critical success whatever your first thing you try and do each turn - thus kickstarting the turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Douglass
United States
California
flag msg tools
Mctool wrote:
jibbyjackjoe wrote:
my vote would Definitly go to this relic. I think it would force more player interaction.

+1 Couldn't agree more for the same reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Dunn
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajriii wrote:
Relic: Fine Bottle of Rum: +3 to Cannons; -1 to Crew, Sails and Hold (or roll for a random direction when moving--you know, drunk sailing all)

I like this idea only maybe something like "Choose +1 to crew or +2/3 to crew and -1 to sails... effective only as long as you hold the card." After all, I think a fine bottle of rum would certainly increase your influence with your crew!

I also like the captain's mistress, and I love the albatross (great literary reference!) but I'm not sure how it would play out... it might hinder stealing too much.

If they hadn't specified relic cards... I would love to see some event-type cards.

"The Kraken strikes! Effectively lose sail upgrades until you make port."

"Hurricane season! At your next port all prices are driven up by one dubloon, but there are no goods available for your hold."

"A sea serpent was hungry! Lose one crew."

"Blown off course! You MUST move in the direction of the wind... at 3x sails."

"A great whale attacks! Lose half your cargo."

I can keep going. Wishful thinking? Maybe if we reach the fantasy expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Bennett
Canada
Canwood
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some more. I thought the new card was a relic card if so

Pieces of eight - when you get this card you can either pick a new captain and get a free upgrade, or steal an upgrade from another player.

If the card can be anything

Plunder - when you get this card attack another player. If successful increase your hold or crew by 1 if unsuccessful give card to other player.

Winds of change- roll d6 1-3 can change wind direction that turn, 3-6 cannot. Can be stolen when attacked. Maybe limit uses per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For easier voting remember to only put one idea per post. Then we get a better idea which idea users here like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gibson
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Old enough to know better
badge
Exterminate!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Magellan's Astrolabe. Once per game you can move your ship to any sea space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack R
msg tools
How about this for player interaction:

arrrh Commodore's Cutlass: +1 to Sails, Cannons and Crew: Gain all that ship's resources from successful attacks. Give up Commodore's Cutlass for failed attacks/defenses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a name for it, but my idea is a card that "freezes" one or more other players for one round, so that the owner of the card can sail safely for one turn without fear of being attacked by other players.

This could be either a "Player may not be attacked for one turn," or "All other players are not permitted to move on their next turn," or something else.

I can imagine many games where one or more players are "blockading" one or more ports, and this card would allow the player to slip through the blockade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mctool wrote:
jibbyjackjoe wrote:

I think there would have to be an upper limit to this card, IMHO. Otherwise the game quickly devolves into a game of "musical chairs" with the owner of this card at the end of the game automatically winning.

Seems to me that there should always be multiple ways to win, rather than being required to focus on one particular relic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack R
msg tools
GreenLaborMike wrote:
I don't have a name for it, but my idea is a card that "freezes" one or more other players for one round, so that the owner of the card can sail safely for one turn without fear of being attacked by other players.

This could be either a "Player may not be attacked for one turn," or "All other players are not permitted to move on their next turn," or something else.

I can imagine many games where one or more players are "blockading" one or more ports, and this card would allow the player to slip through the blockade.

Interesting card, but there's already a perception that attacking other ships is probably not going to happen alot...this would increase that likelihood, IMHO. If the game gets more 'attack-y' (yeah, new word there for Webster's) in an expansion, perhaps, then this would be awesome.arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ensignia Games
msg tools
mb
I think the misconception that games are passive and that players don't often attack each other is mostly propagated by the Crits Happen video preview. In that video it just happened that all of them chose and played as merchant captains. Due to their inexperience, no player chose to capitalize on that fact and adjust their strategy to become more aggressive.

I would dare anybody to try to go full merchant without any cannons upgrades in one of the games at my table arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Bonilla
United States
Winneconne
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go ahead and repost my relic here:

RELIC IDEA (featuring a core & expansion ability): Aztec Dagger - When you plunder a player ship, reduce their Crew by 1 and gain 1 Infamy.

Sacrifice an Officer and put a counter on Aztec Dagger - When you plunder a ship, gain 3 Silver for each counter on Aztec Dagger.

Something like that maybe. Haven't seen enough of the relics to know what all is in there and how powerful they get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ajriii wrote:
GreenLaborMike wrote:

Interesting card, but there's already a perception that attacking other ships is probably not going to happen alot...this would increase that likelihood, IMHO. If the game gets more 'attack-y' (yeah, new word there for Webster's) in an expansion, perhaps, then this would be awesome.arrrh

I'm going with EG's description of the play style in their games. My group is very aggressive too, so my suggested relic would be extremely useful.

Having said that, if other groups are less "attack-ey" (I like it!), then it wouldn't make as much sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
terry chang
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"You found the Gomu Gomu no Mi devil fruit", Cannons + 3, Crew+1, Sails-2 (you're now devil fruit user, your combat skill and captain's influence are significantly gained, but your sails -3 cos you cannot swim anymore)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I.M. Fried

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenLaborMike wrote:
Mctool wrote:
jibbyjackjoe wrote:

I think there would have to be an upper limit to this card, IMHO. Otherwise the game quickly devolves into a game of "musical chairs" with the owner of this card at the end of the game automatically winning.

Seems to me that there should always be multiple ways to win, rather than being required to focus on one particular relic.

I think that it should be +1 only to whomever has it at the end -- so if you lose it in battle then you drop your infamy back down one, with the victor raising his/her infamy by one unless they lose a battle. Kind of like King of the Hill. That would increase interaction but not make it the whole point of the game. I really like the idea behind this card -- plus if a player who holds this card is nearing the 20 point end of game goal, it will give others more incentive to go after their ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blusoul wrote:
GreenLaborMike wrote:
Mctool wrote:
jibbyjackjoe wrote:

I think that it should be +1 only to whomever has it at the end -- so if you lose it in battle then you drop your infamy back down one, with the victor raising his/her infamy by one unless they lose a battle. Kind of like King of the Hill. That would increase interaction but not make it the whole point of the game. I really like the idea behind this card -- plus if a player who holds this card is nearing the 20 point end of game goal, it will give others more incentive to go after their ship.

The upper limit can be half the value of the number of players, round up. 2 player = 1; 3-4 player = 2; 5-6 player = 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.