Dave Neale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventures by Gaslight is, like The Queens Park Affair (which I reviewed here) a SHCD expansion that is all one large case taking place over multiple days, and, in the case of Adventures by Gaslight, multiple cities. It took us something in the region of 12 to 16 hours to play, and you really need to schedule in times to make sure you do sessions quite close together or you risk forgetting important details. This is a complex case, and we spent a lot of the time feeling completely baffled. As it transpired, we did get a lot of details right, but missed one crucial clue that would have helped fit everything together a bit more (though I think even if we’d got that clue we may still have been puzzled about a few things). I imagine many people who play this find themselves in a similar situation though – this case is hard.

The main plot (I won’t give any spoilers here, this is all stuff you find out in the case description) revolves around the theft of a set of porcelain birds from a house, and the arrest of the client’s fiancé. He asks Holmes to prove her innocence, and you find you are sent out onto the London streets for a day to gather as much information as you can before making a trip to Paris. When you’ve got all you can from Paris, the case is over. In my group, however, we didn’t feel our solution was complete enough at this point and we went back to look at more London clues (and we were right, we had missed some important stuff). We all enjoyed the case (perhaps even more so because we knew it was our last SHCD case until/if Ystari get round to printing new cases in English) but I’ll be a bit more specific and critical and try to say exactly what we liked and didn’t like.

First, the good points: It is well written and interesting, and the plot includes some nice, clever elements. The trip to Paris makes a good change, though is a bit confusing to navigate as a player (see below). There are some interesting historical details. The solution makes sense.
Now the not-so-good-points: Although the solution makes sense, I think it could have been a bit tighter and wrapped everything up a bit more. There are even some elements that are not explained – nothing that leaves any plot holes, but just minor mysteries that we’ve been puzzling over since finishing! Going to Paris is confusing, which I suppose does make it quite realistic. However, I don’t think the designers intended it to be as confusing as it is. One thing you should know, which is not spelled out in the rules, is that you simply treat Paris like an area of the map, so you can go to any Paris address by just taking the house number and looking that up under Paris. We spent a while at a complete loss before figuring that out. Also – and again this is realistic but difficult for the player – you’ll find that the Paris map is in French. We had to type the words for places onto the map into an online translator in order to figure out where certain government offices or shops were.

Adventures by Gaslight is the hardest SHCD expansion to acquire, and the most costly. I spent approx. £100 and have seen it go for much more. Before going to the necessary effort and expense make sure you are prepared to spend this long on one case – try the Queens Park Affair first, because if you don’t get into that you probably won’t get into Adventures by Gaslight. All in all, it is a good case with a lot of threads to explore and one that fully absorbs you into the atmosphere of Holmes’ world.

I just hope there’s still some more of that world to come…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the interesting review. I have all of the expansions (although have not gotten around to play them yet) and have always kept my eye open for this one. So far, I have not been willing to pay the high cost for it. I'm glad to hear that I might be able to judge if I like it or not by first playing the Queen's Park Affair.

Cheers,
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Rautenberg
Germany
Lich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank your for the good review without giving away the secrets. Which edition did you play, the first or the second one? Is there someone out there who has a complete errata for the first edition since this is the one I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Neale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know there was more than one edition of Adventures by Gaslight, apart from the French and English versions, and I can't see anything on the BGG page about a 2nd edition?

It's the sleuth version, and I assume first edition. Perhaps if there is an errata for it it makes it slightly easier and would explain why we spent so much time utterly confused...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Beauchamp
msg tools
Hello!

I have the chance to pick up a copy of this that is missing the postcard. Is it completely taboo to ask someone (who?! maybe you!?) to scan JUST THE POSTCARD and email it to me?

Thought it was worth an ask!
Thanks -
Elizabeth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The front and back are in the image section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Beauchamp
msg tools
WONDERFUL! And thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.