Trent B
msg tools
Here is the question :

After completing a scenario/adventure , when you rebuild the deck there are cards leftover that have been acquired during the adventure. Do these card get :

a) Recorded on the character sheet to used for later adventures? (stored in an oak tree,buried in the ground ect)
if so then can these stored items be traded to other players later on?

b) discarded ?

The spell casters would if "a" is in effect be able to build their spellbooks for greater versatility as they progress Choosing spells they have acquired to suit the adventure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is b.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, just to avoid confusion, they are not 'discarded' in game terms, they're 'banished' - put back in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Actually, just to avoid confusion, they are not 'discarded' in game terms, they're 'banished' - put back in the box.

Put back in the box - yes, but not 'banished' by the game term as 'to banish a card' has a stronger meaning after starting AP3 (Hook Mountain) when certain cards can be removed from the game entirely by 'banishing' them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrentB wrote:
Here is the question :

After completing a scenario/adventure , when you rebuild the deck there are cards leftover that have been acquired during the adventure. Do these card get :

a) Recorded on the character sheet to used for later adventures? (stored in an oak tree,buried in the ground ect)

b) discarded ?

The spell casters would if "a" is in effect be able to build their spellbooks for greater versatility as they progress Choosing spells they have acquired to suit the adventure
Can you please explain which part of the rulebook was lacking enough information for you to have not had a clear understanding that the cards are returned?

When asking this question of yourself, which part of the rulebook did you turn to that didn't have the proper information?

Knowing why you were unable to find the answer in the rulebook even though it's there would better help the designers when they're working on their next version of the rules and also help us other forum-ers to be able to better explain the answer when questions like this come up.

Rules v1 wrote:
Between Games[...]
If you have cards left over after rebuilding
all of the surviving characters’ decks, put them back in the box.[...]

Rules v2 wrote:
Between Games[...]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Partridge
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theashers wrote:
Wulf Corbett wrote:

Put back in the box - yes, but not 'banished' by the game term as 'to banish a card' has a stronger meaning after starting AP3 (Hook Mountain) when certain cards can be removed from the game entirely by 'banishing' them.

This is incorrect. Banish means "return to the box." Once you start Hook Mountain Massacre, Basic Banes are, and Basic Boons may be removed from the game when they are banished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
bampop wrote:
theashers wrote:
Wulf Corbett wrote:

This is incorrect. Banish means "return to the box." Once you start Hook Mountain Massacre, Basic Banes are, and Basic Boons may be removed from the game when they are banished.

When you "banish" cards, they are put back in the box; but that does not mean that all cards that are put back in the box are "banished". It's kind of like "every square is a rectangle, but not every rectangle is a square".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bampop wrote:
theashers wrote:
Wulf Corbett wrote:

Yes, that is correct, however the topic from the OP is basically "what to do with extra boons after a scenario." They are returned to the box, but not "banished" as that would imply triggering other actions when cards are banished.

Lol I think we've beaten this semantic horse!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
theashers wrote:
bampop wrote:
theashers wrote:
Wulf Corbett wrote:

Yes, that is correct, however the topic from the OP is basically "what to do with extra boons after a scenario." They are returned to the box, but not "banished" as that would imply triggering other actions when cards are banished.

Correct. Cards that don't make the cut between scenarios are returned to the box, but not technically "banished"; meaning that you do not get the option to remove them from the game if they have the "basic" trait.

If it helps, there was another similar discussion regarding the technical difference between "acquiring" and "adding to your hand". When you "acquire" a card, it is added to your hand, but this does not mean that all cards that are added to you hand are "acquired" in the technical sense. I CBA to link that thread, right now. Maybe someone else could be so kind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
theashers wrote:
bampop wrote:
theashers wrote:
Wulf Corbett wrote:

Correct. Cards that don't make the cut between scenarios are returned to the box, but not technically "banished"; meaning that you do not get the option to remove them from the game if they have the "basic" trait.

If it helps, there was another similar discussion regarding the technical difference between "acquiring" and "adding to your hand". When you "acquire" a card, it is added to your hand, but this does not mean that all cards that are added to you hand are "acquired" in the technical sense. I CBA to link that thread, right now. Maybe someone else could be so kind.

Found it: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14046290#14046290

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to restate (most of these have been mentioned already) and clarify:

To those above, it has been stated correctly. The cards are returned to the box but not "Banished" as the "Banish" word is actually a rule term that has certain other rules and connotations with it.

PART of "Banishing" is returning the card to the box. But just returning cards to the box isn't "Banishing."

Simply placing something back into the box is not "Banishing" and things that rely on that keyword do not activate.

There is only one instance (so far) where a card gets banished and it is not an ability or card-play type, and that is when you close a location. Upon successfully closing a location, you do "Banish" the cards back to the box (except for the villain if one is in that location).

Other than that, all other use of Banishing is when you play a card for an effect. There's the possibility of character abilities also using it, though I can't think of any off the top of my head, but it is specifically listed under the ways to play a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Partridge
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All fair points and I feel silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent B
msg tools
lets see , i played my second game ever of Pathfinder, i do not own the copy , the persons who supposedly read through the rules said there was nothing one way or the other. I was posing this question on the information that i had.

A thought occurred for a rules suggestion :

Extra cards gained over the deck limit earn temporary tokens granting a +1 on die rolls. These tokens are single use and must be if unused banished at the completion of the next scenario.Tokens may be applied 1 for 1 before a die roll or 2 for 1 after a die roll. These tokens reflect minor items and short term lucky breaks. Use your imagination when using and describing them."i use my trusty spoon to cut its heart out !!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrentB wrote:
lets see , i played my second game ever of Pathfinder, i do not own the copy , the persons who supposedly read through the rules said there was nothing one way or the other. I was posing this question on the information that i had.[...]
If there's one thing I've learned reading through the forums here and answering questions, it's that the rules, while most of the questions are already answered by them, are easily misread and the places things can be found is sometimes unintuitive, and when people look for them in places they think they should be, they're not there, and so they come here to ask.

Your friend may have read the rulebook cover to cover, but there's probably even some rules that your friend might be messing up on but is absolutely sure they're playing right. That comes with any game, really, but PACG can be complicated at times and simple at times, and because of how Card A works with Ability B on Monster C, weird things can happen sometimes, too. So don't be upset with your friend for not knowing the answer, as sometimes it is quite easy to forget or skim over an important part that didn't look important at first.

Because of the parts of rules being located in different places in the book than someone thinks they should look, it's easy for some people to forget some rules because it doesn't stay in their brain associated with whatever it's actually associated with.

For example, the information on 'add a die,' is only in the rules where Blessings are mentioned and described, and not anywhere in the 'how to make a check' section where it talks about playing cards to assist the check.

Things like that are why I sometimes ask what part of the rules were checked and didn't have the information or gave misleading or easily-mistaken information, etc. Because the designers knowing this will help them improve their rules (which are still changing, they're on version 2 now), add errata where necessary, and also helps people that answer the questions explain where to find it instead, and possibly give insight on why it is where it is, or have some conversations on the best place to put it, which, again, will help the designers, and in helping the designers, it helps the game, which makes it that much more enjoyable for all of us.

Paizo is being really good right now with this game, they're following the forums (both here and at the main website) and helping to answer new questions that are asked, and they're also taking that information and using it to improve the rules and keep the FAQ updated with questions that end up helping out everyone when it's iffy.

Lastly, the rules are currently available online, both the official rules and a PDF of the version 2 rules they're working on and still updating, so anyone in your group (including you) can go get 'em for free to take a look and help out in making sure your friend 'knows' what he/she actually knows. You might even learn a tactic or something you didn't know existed that can end up helping you.

There's lots of questions on the forums asking how others can help with checks because they skimmed over or didn't read certain sections in the book. Even now, there's some people that don't know Blessings can be played on anyone's turn to help someone at a different location when they're making any kind of check.

So you might be amazed what a second set of eyes on the rules and a second brain for memory of the rules can do. I highly recommend going and downloading the rules and taking a look at them yourself. Also make sure to check the FAQ/Errata. There have been some interesting changes there, as well.

--

Also, as far as the 'one way or another' thing goes, if it makes the game more fun for you and your group, feel free to houserule it, just keep in mind that houserules can change the balance of the game.

Even Mike can be seen on some posts saying that it's our game and to do what we need to to make it [more] enjoyable. Even the rules have certain information in them on how to deal with times where things seem impossible just because of a bad character or card choice. They even have information on how to create your own adventures and heroes, etc.

So if your group ended up thinking it's better to save the cards 'for later' or your group has just been confused this entire time, then go ahead and keep with it until you're done with the campaign, and then try it again the vanilla way from the start, that way, it doesn't suddenly change the dynamic that you've been playing, and you'll actually be able to compare the two and then in the end decide on if you want to make it a permanent house rule or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bampop wrote:
All fair points and I feel silly.

Don't sweat it! We've all been in similar states at some point while learning this game! (except for one or two who may hop in and let us know!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can probably house rule this differently if you want; I'm not sure that it really matters. It seems reasonable to give your party a "stash" that can hold a finite number of armor/weapons/items. That having been said, I think that the difficult decisions that you have to make about getting rid of stuff that you can't carry really adds to the game. I had to make the difficult choice to toss a Warhammer last game because my Valeros had so much good stuff, there was nothing else to cut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg DeLong
Canada
Wyoming
flag msg tools
firedale2002 wrote:
TrentB wrote:
Here is the question :

b) discarded ?

Can you please explain which part of the rulebook was lacking enough information for you to have not had a clear understanding that the cards are returned?

When asking this question of yourself, which part of the rulebook did you turn to that didn't have the proper information?

Knowing why you were unable to find the answer in the rulebook even though it's there would better help the designers when they're working on their next version of the rules and also help us other forum-ers to be able to better explain the answer when questions like this come up.

Rules v1 wrote:
Between Games[...]

Rules v2 wrote:
Between Games[...]

I played with the OP and two members in our group who own the game both said you build your deck between scenarios in compliance with your character sheet and the rest of the cards you acquired go back into the box. I know I said it twice after confirming in the rules. There were some members that were confused or didn't like the rules and caused a bit of confusion. The rule book is more than clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.