Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was watching a political panel show on the tele last night, and I was surprised to see that a friend of mine was one of the panellists. She was on the show because -- and this was news to me! -- she is the director of a libertarian think tank.

Have you ever been shocked in a like manner? I was seriously waiting for Olaf to meow plaintively indicating it was all one of my weird RSP dreams, but no, it was for real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Have you ever been shocked in a like manner?

Yes it was the time I pulled up behind a teal colored Cooper Mini that had a rainbow sticker on the left and a Darwin sticker on the right.

I laughed so hard that I nearly wrecked....

The Teal Mini pretty much negated the need for the rainbow sticker and the rainbow sticker canceled out the Darwin fish sticker.. I still laugh about that every time I see a Mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
So I was watching a political panel show on the tele last night, and I was surprised to see that a friend of mine was one of the panellists. She was on the show because -- and this was news to me! -- she is the director of a libertarian think tank.

Have you ever been shocked in a like manner? I was seriously waiting for Olaf to meow plaintively indicating it was all one of my weird RSP dreams, but no, it was for real.

Wow. Good on her. Agree or disagree with her, that takes brains and guts. Given societal prejudices, even more so for a woman. Kudos.

What kind of think-tank is it? One that advises governments, businesses or what exactly does it do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
The Teal Mini pretty much negated the need for the rainbow sticker and the rainbow sticker canceled out the Darwin fish sticker.. I still laugh about that every time I see a Mini.

Eh, that is kind of the opposite. There is no surprise that a hippie is a queer and an evolutionist. Fair enough. I'm talking shock, like you catch someone at your tea party meeting watching Al-Jazeera on a little portable TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:

Have you ever been shocked in a like manner?

Libertarian? Thanks god, no!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Wow. Good on her. Agree or disagree with her, that takes brains and guts. Given societal prejudices, even more so for a woman. Kudos.

Yah, Australia doesn't really have a libertarian political voice so it is a unique thing.

whac3 wrote:
What kind of think-tank is it? One that advises governments, businesses or what exactly does it do?

Mostly generates white papers and opinion pieces as far as I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
I was seriously waiting for Olaf to meow plaintively indicating it was all one of my weird RSP dreams, but no, it was for real.

Meow? I don't think Olaf meows at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
When my uncle died, we learned at his funeral that he'd been awarded the Silver Star for doing some serious Audie Murphy shit in Vietnam. He'd never told anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
When my uncle died, we learned at his funeral that he'd been awarded the Silver Star for doing some serious Audie Murphy shit in Vietnam. He'd never told anyone.

That does seem how true heroes handle their acts, they are truly uncomfortable when recognized for them. I wonder sometimes, after reading some military nonfiction from actual boots on the ground, not officer strategy books, that the people who really sacrifice for others are actually not satisfied with what they did. They think about the people they didn't save and wonder what they could have done differently. I see it as a kind of hero guilt. I am skeptical of the circumstances and the motives of those who parade their recognitions for accolades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest I can think of is that one of my sociology department colleagues, who is a bit of an ass, doesn't do shit for service and largely blows off his classes was, during a leave of absence, a senior adviser at the World Bank and was also being considered for the role of Iraq's ambassador to the UN (or was it vice versa, I forget).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
I was shocked to learn that my step uncle was a serial killer. Does that count?

Nope. The minimum level is libertarian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
galad2003 wrote:
sbszine wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Yah, Australia doesn't really have a libertarian political voice so it is a unique thing.

whac3 wrote:

Mostly generates white papers and opinion pieces as far as I can tell.

Does she actually make a paycheck from that?

If so I suggest we turn RSP into a think tank and find a way to make some money from this circus.

Scams like that only work on libertarians.

Let's form an organisation to fight for individualism!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
At least one of the targets I was hired to terminate by the Vietnamese turned out to have a board gaming nephew. Color me remorseful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:

The real ones usually don't. If they brag about it, it probably didn't happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:

Let's form an organisation to fight for individualism!

I'm game. Can I be the token board member that's only there to make the organization look legitimate and non-partisan but doesn't (indeed isn't allowed to) do any work?

I could totally *NAIL* that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one family story that I have that I think it's kind of interesting.

My grandfather essentially had to retire from his full-time job back in the 1950s. (This was back when everyone smoked three packs of cigarettes a days and medical science and health prevention were not what they are today.) Anyway, before he retired he worked in St. Louis with this young "kid" who was about a dozen years younger. The guy was an engineer who left to move to a small town many miles away to help a city build its first hospital, the hospital where I was born many years later as my family actually ended up in this same small town.

During World War II, this family friend worked on this little thing called The Manhattan Project under English physicist James Tuck. He's the only man I know who has had breast cancer. Apparently, he later witnessed one of the Bikini Atoll tests.

Although I knew a vague explanation of the story, some family stories tend to get misinterpreted or exaggerated with time and to me he was just the guy who helped put our house back together after a fire and the substitute teacher who once tried to teach one of my high school math classes how to do square root and logarithm-type functions in our heads.

One family member became quite close to his family, but she never had heard this story until I sent her a television interview link a few years ago. We sent he and his wife a Christmas card, so my mother just told me that she just received a phone from him. (There can't be too many of those Manhattan Project folks still alive...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

The real ones usually don't. If they brag about it, it probably didn't happen.
talking about it can also trigger a ptsd episode in some. Easier to stay quiet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A shock revelation was when I finally worked out my grandmother's family history. She migrated to Australia as a young women and kept her family history to herself. A decade or so after she died I finally discovered she is from a family of explorers. Her uncle is http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Wild one of the most experienced Antarctic explorers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.