Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi

Three plays into this great game and I have 3 questions that I'm still not totally sure how to play, two are fairly minor (and so far have not really caused an issue) but the third is a game changer which I only realized upon reading this forum.

Minor ones 1st;
One of the Senate cards gives a bonus for every yellow card you have. Does this strictly mean only the yellow side of the card or the yellow cards in general, ie either grey or yellow side. We ruled with the former - yellow side only - but I want to be sure.

Senate tie break. If someone is on the zero spot with a +3 bonus vote token and someone else is on the 3 spot with no bonus votes, who breaks the tie? This has yet to arise in any game I've played but it could and I'd not know the answer (tho I'd favour the person actually on the track).

Ok now the major one;
The +1, +2 action tokens. Exactly what is the timing of these? I used to play this wrongly till I read a thread about it here, which still left me unsure hence me asking specifically about now.

From what I understand when you get a forum tile, you then *immediately* take either a +1 or +2 action of the same type depending on whether you have a +1 or +2 token (ok I know there's no +1 token since that's the default). My question is this though - does taking the tile warrant an action in and of itself? eg, if I take the shipping forum tile, do I get a shipping action straight away AND THEN a second shipping action (if I have +1 on the shipping space), or a second and third shipping action (if I have the +2 tile)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunmachine wrote:
Minor ones 1st;
One of the Senate cards gives a bonus for every yellow card you have. Does this strictly mean only the yellow side of the card or the yellow cards in general, ie either grey or yellow side. We ruled with the former - yellow side only - but I want to be sure.

Yellow side only.

Quote:
Senate tie break. If someone is on the zero spot with a +3 bonus vote token and someone else is on the 3 spot with no bonus votes, who breaks the tie? This has yet to arise in any game I've played but it could and I'd not know the answer (tho I'd favour the person actually on the track).

The person whose token is physically further along the senate track breaks ties. In case that too is a tie, the token higher up the stack.

Quote:
Ok now the major one;
The +1, +2 action tokens. Exactly what is the timing of these? I used to play this wrongly till I read a thread about it here, which still left me unsure hence me asking specifically about now.

From what I understand when you get a forum tile, you then *immediately* take either a +1 or +2 action of the same type depending on whether you have a +1 or +2 token (ok I know there's no +1 token since that's the default). My question is this though - does taking the tile warrant an action in and of itself? eg, if I take the shipping forum tile, do I get a shipping action straight away AND THEN a second shipping action (if I have +1 on the shipping space), or a second and third shipping action (if I have the +2 tile)?

The +2 tokens don't have anything to do per se with the forum. You can get the +1 tiles from military as well. You can hold on to them until you use them. You can use them whenever you take an action of that type, either by last cylinder on the mancala "primary" action, or secondary based on "first construction tile of that type". When you use an extra action tile, you get an extra action of that type (i.e. a 2nd action). If you also have a +2 Trajan tile allocated to that action, you get a third.

You can only use one extra action tile per turn, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunmachine wrote:
Minor ones 1st;

Pure yellow only.

Sunmachine wrote:

Yes, whoever has actually moved more on the track wins the tie.

Sunmachine wrote:

Ok now the major one;

You appear to have this ALL messed up. When you take one of those yellow action tiles it goes on to your board. In the future, when you take THAT action, you can use the tile up to take the same action again (or twice more if you have the +2 chip). For example, I take a Forum action and pick up a shipping tile. Later, when I take a shipping action, I use that tile up to take a second shipping action right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
You appear to have this ALL messed up. When you take one of those yellow action tiles it goes on to your board. In the future, when you take THAT action, you can use the tile up to take the same action again (or twice more if you have the +2 chip).

It doesn't have to be in the future. You can use the tile as you pick it up if it is the matching action, for example take the forum bonus tile from the forum and immediately redeem it.

Or you could take a construction action that lets you take the military option (only the first building of a type triggers the bonus action), and if that let you move your leader to pick up either a construction or military bonus tile, you could immediately use one of them. Note: only one bonus action tile can be used on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the answers guys. 1&2 are fine.

3 has confused me more though.

Michael - that's how I used to play it but can I refer you here; http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/990417/forum-action-choosing...

This thread suggests that these actions may be used *immediately* upon collecting the tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bryan - Does that mean you can only *immediately* use a tile if it's the same action you're performing for the round indicated by your manacala? eg if I pick the shipping forum tile, I can only use it when my mancala lands me on a shipping action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunmachine wrote:
Bryan - Does that mean you can only *immediately* use a tile if it's the same action you're performing for the round indicated by your manacala? eg if I pick the shipping forum tile, I can only use it when my mancala lands me on a shipping action?

Mostly. But as I suggested before, you can also use it if you get a shipping action from taking your first "fountain" construction tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jay - Thanks

I've played this 3 times and can I see I've played wrong every time

1st & 2nd time, played it that extra action tiles were placed on your board and only used when you performed that action again later in the game.

3rd time, played it that you could take the extra action immediately (either +1 or +2) upon aquiring a tile, any tile, regardless of what mancala action you had.

So, just going through this like a dullard, is this right?

1. I complete a +2 Trajan tile and place the +2 on Military.
2. Later, I get the Military Forum tile, bt cannot use the +2 actions till I am able to take another Military action later in the game (question though, does gaining the Military forum tile allow me to take one military action now, ie is the tile an action in and of itself?)
3. Later, my mancala lands me on military. I can take three actions, 1 for the mancala and +2 for having previously gained the +2 action tile and forum tile.

What about cascades from building? Say I build something that lets me take military, do I take it then take two more using my +2 bonus tile?

Furthermore, as as addition to the above;
1. Instead of placing the +2 tile on military I place it on the Forum.
2. Later I get the Forum action via my mancala and take the Forum tile.
3. I can then immediately activate my +2 tile since it is also a forum action, but for a total of 2 or 3 forum actions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunmachine wrote:
Thanks for the answers guys. 1&2 are fine.

3 has confused me more though.

Michael - that's how I used to play it but can I refer you here; http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/990417/forum-action-choosing...

This thread suggests that these actions may be used *immediately* upon collecting the tile.

What you're seeing in that thread is a specific case. Over there, you are taking the Forum action AND using it to pick up a yellow Forum action tile AND then turning in that tile to take another Forum action. So the tile type you are using matches the action you are doing. Usually, this specific case wouldn't matter anyway. There's no gain involved. However, IF you have a +2 chip on the Forum action, then this could give you a bonus action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunmachine wrote:
1. I complete a +2 Trajan tile and place the +2 on Military.
2. Later, I get the Military Forum tile, bt cannot use the +2 actions till I am able to take another Military action later in the game (question though, does gaining the Military forum tile allow me to take one military action now, ie is the tile an action in and of itself?)
3. Later, my mancala lands me on military. I can take three actions, 1 for the mancala and +2 for having previously gained the +2 action tile and forum tile.

Right. The military forum tile is then "consumed" and discarded (but not, of course, the +2 Trajan tile).

Quote:
What about cascades from building? Say I build something that lets me take military, do I take it then take two more using my +2 bonus tile?

Assuming you have a military action forum tile available to use, yes.

If you also had a construction action forum tile, you could instead use that (and with a 3rd if you had a +2 on construction). However, you could not use both the military and construction action tiles.

Quote:
Furthermore, as as addition to the above;
1. Instead of placing the +2 tile on military I place it on the Forum.
2. Later I get the Forum action via my mancala and take the Forum tile.
3. I can then immediately activate my +2 tile since it is also a forum action, but for a total of 2 or 3 forum actions?

If you had the +2 on the Forum, it's hard to think of a case where you wouldn't want to take 3. But, yes.

Hmm -- note that the +2 does you no good without the corresponding forum action tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
Sunmachine wrote:

Mostly. But as I suggested before, you can also use it if you get a shipping action from taking your first "fountain" construction tile.

What Jay said. To clarify, you may only ever use the bonus tiles if you perform that action on your turn. So to immediately use a tile, you must be taking that action on the same turn that you pick it up. The construction first-build bonus actions can be handy for this... triggering a forum or military building bonus action to pick up their respective action bonus tile or a construction one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
If you had the +2 on the Forum, it's hard to think of a case where you wouldn't want to take 3. But, yes.

If for some reason there is still a forum bonus tile but no other bonus tiles, and it isn't the last period, I might hold onto it rather than just taking people's demands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, everyone, really appreciate all the help and feedback. I just had the chance to play again and this all makes perfect sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.