Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Ideas wanted from disc golfers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So my nephew is obsessed with disc golf, I mean to the point where he's joked about moving down south for more months of good weather. Anyways, does anyone have any ideas of a good gift for a disc golf enthusiast? Looking for something unique instead of just buying him another disc.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Disc Golf paraphernalia is a limit set of things. Bags, Discs, Shoes, Clothes, and a few tools like disc retrieval contraptions.

It's minimal enough to think that if he is a fanatic, it'll probably be something he already has.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Well, Disc Golf paraphernalia is a limit set of things. Bags, Discs, Shoes, Clothes, and a few tools like disc retrieval contraptions.

It's minimal enough to think that if he is a fanatic, it'll probably be something he already has.

Fair enough. I didn't know if there were any odd outside of the box ideas people could offer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
A disc golf basket to set up at home and practice with might be nice - while the price on real sets may be prohibitive, I seem to recall reading here the bright idea that one could fashion such a thing by dangling chains from an old bike rim attached to a pole, though the actual "basket" part may take some doing to get up to gift-quality levels
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
A disc golf basket to set up at home and practice with might be nice - while the price on real sets may be prohibitive, I seem to recall reading here the bright idea that one could fashion such a thing by dangling chains from an old bike rim attached to a pole, though the actual "basket" part may take some doing to get up to gift-quality levels


Yep, didn't know what your budget was, but a basket would have been my suggestion. I have one in my backyard. It's great, during the summer I putt on it, and do approach shots a couple times a week at least.

I play disc golf, but I doubt I would enjoy getting a disc. I have a pretty much set bag at this point, and don't really swing differently on the discs. If you know what he uses, backups in approximately the same weights I guess might be nice.

Another nice thing, might be some sort of personalized bag tag for him to hang on his bag.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Truthfully, while choosing disc for disc golfers is probably a tricky endeavor, I do find they do like getting custom dye jobs.

I would suggest going on ebay and searching "custom dyed discs".

And buy him something cool.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
So my nephew is obsessed with disc golf, I mean to the point where he's joked about moving down south for more months of good weather. Anyways, does anyone have any ideas of a good gift for a disc golf enthusiast? Looking for something unique instead of just buying him another disc.


A set of golf clubs so he can play a real sport would be appropriate. *duck*

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For a unique gift, get him a bumper basket (bottom of page). I wouldn't mind getting one of those.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
Blott wrote:
So my nephew is obsessed with disc golf, I mean to the point where he's joked about moving down south for more months of good weather. Anyways, does anyone have any ideas of a good gift for a disc golf enthusiast? Looking for something unique instead of just buying him another disc.


A set of golf clubs so he can play a real sport would be appropriate. *duck*



I played a lot of golf growing up, through High School, College, and many years after.

It's a great sport. But, the tee times, Fucking $30 to 80 per round to play, changing your grips every year, etc. I just could not afford to play enough golf to get good at it.

Disc golf gives me the same mental gymnastics that golf did. I have to decide how I want to make a shot, which disc to use, and whether I need to impart any specialized techniques to get from where I am, to where my goal is.

And I get to do it every day if I want to, for free, in one of a half dozen courses within about 40 minutes of my house.

I'm not opposed to still playing golf if I want or need to someday, but if I never do again, I'd be okay with it too.
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
Kafka wrote:
Blott wrote:
So my nephew is obsessed with disc golf, I mean to the point where he's joked about moving down south for more months of good weather. Anyways, does anyone have any ideas of a good gift for a disc golf enthusiast? Looking for something unique instead of just buying him another disc.


A set of golf clubs so he can play a real sport would be appropriate. *duck*



I played a lot of golf growing up, through High School, College, and many years after.

It's a great sport. But, the tee times, Fucking $30 to 80 per round to play, changing your grips every year, etc. I just could not afford to play enough golf to get good at it.

Disc golf gives me the same mental gymnastics that golf did. I have to decide how I want to make a shot, which disc to use, and whether I need to impart any specialized techniques to get from where I am, to where my goal is.

And I get to do it every day if I want to, for free, in one of a half dozen courses within about 40 minutes of my house.

I'm not opposed to still playing golf if I want or need to someday, but if I never do again, I'd be okay with it too.


I hear you. I work in the industry and it's generally too expensive for the average Joe to play once a week like I did back in the day. It's a strange industry where merchants and courses are constantly chasing the affluent consumer and have therefor priced themselves out of the market for the weekend golfer that existed 20 years ago.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
SybotCB wrote:
Kafka wrote:
Blott wrote:
So my nephew is obsessed with disc golf, I mean to the point where he's joked about moving down south for more months of good weather. Anyways, does anyone have any ideas of a good gift for a disc golf enthusiast? Looking for something unique instead of just buying him another disc.


A set of golf clubs so he can play a real sport would be appropriate. *duck*



I played a lot of golf growing up, through High School, College, and many years after.

It's a great sport. But, the tee times, Fucking $30 to 80 per round to play, changing your grips every year, etc. I just could not afford to play enough golf to get good at it.

Disc golf gives me the same mental gymnastics that golf did. I have to decide how I want to make a shot, which disc to use, and whether I need to impart any specialized techniques to get from where I am, to where my goal is.

And I get to do it every day if I want to, for free, in one of a half dozen courses within about 40 minutes of my house.

I'm not opposed to still playing golf if I want or need to someday, but if I never do again, I'd be okay with it too.


I hear you. I work in the industry and it's generally too expensive for the average Joe to play once a week like I did back in the day. It's a strange industry where merchants and courses are constantly chasing the affluent consumer and have therefor priced themselves out of the market for the weekend golfer that existed 20 years ago.



Sad too, I loved it so much. Sad part is, my wife works in the university athletic dept and gets to play the university course for free. She of course, does not play golf though. And that perk does not extend to her family members
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since just about every disc golfer I've ever come across is a stoner, I'd suggest a bag of weed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The next big little thing: mini-disc golf!

http://minidiscgolf.com/

Played a course while at WBC last year. Good times.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sneak a look in his bag and find the ones most beaten up. Get him a new set of those. Sooner or later we all lose our favorite disc, or need to replace the old beaten up ones. If you can, make sure to take note of the weights of them if you can still see it printed underneath. It does matter to some/most players.

Does he have a smart phone? there are some pretty good apps for scorecards and state tracking, if he doesn't have the app offer to buy it.

If he doesn't have a bag or if the bag is crammed full of discs get him a new or bigger one.

How old is he? does he drink? maybe a nice flask with the PDGA, Disccraft, Innova or some such thing engraved or printed on it.

Does he always play the same course? do they have fees? get him a season pass!




2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Find the model and weight of his go-to putter and buy him a bunch of them. Most disc golfers won't spend that kind of money on just the one disc, but it's a necessity for improving your putting game.

A basket for home use is also nice, but a tree or pole can serve for putting practice without any modifications.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.