United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw this and figured Clifton was around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Raw oysters, kimchi, and a spoon full of cayenne pepper. Not all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
Indian restaurant, Gibraltar, 1999. The combined wardrooms of USS MIAMI and HMS OTTER on a run ashore. A lot of beer was flowing that night -- the Brits sure are good at getting Americans drunk.

The most painful meal I ever ate. Don't even want to remember what the next morning was like...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever visit O'ahu, I recommend Giovanni's Shrimp Truck, and its specialty, the Shrimp Scampi.
If you feel really reckless, try the No Refunds Hot&Spicy Shrimp.
Tried it once; it was hot on its way in, but hotter on its way out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goat curry..'Sri Lanka Room' Tamil restaurant above the Agincourt Hotel,Railway Square, Sydney circa 1988...I had the great pleasure of watching my old pal Robbie turn magenta while sweating through the top of his head..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Macc
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
If you ever visit O'ahu, I recommend Giovanni's Shrimp Truck, and its specialty, the Shrimp Scampi.
If you feel really reckless, try the No Refunds Hot&Spicy Shrimp.
Tried it once; it was hot on its way in, but hotter on its way out.

Brings new meaning to "A Ring of Fire"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Macc
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many years ago a freind of mine was making homamade jalapeno poppers. As a joke he made one for me using a habanero. I ate the whole poooer in one bite. I swear I almost passed out from the head rush I recived.
It was'nt long after that that I started using antacids regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenosha_kid wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:

had the great pleasure of watching my old pal Robbie turn magenta while sweating through the top of his head..

Reminds me of a time after my 'baptism of fire' when I goaded a would-be macho co-worker punk into trying Bangalore phaal. He literally started sweating profusely after one bite - never seen anything like it. I don't think he finished it.

It's the macho ones who suffer the most..I always make sure I have a nice cucumber and mint Raita near to hand..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beijing, 1997 or so. Went with a bunch of friends to a Mongolian hotpot restaurant which we frequented when visiting Beijing from Ulaanbaatar. NOT REAL Mongolian food (that's not very good), just a name for a type of restaurant. Basically, everybody at the big round table gets their own pretty large bowl of broth - spicy or not, your preference - which is on a little burner. The table orders a bunch of different meats & veggies, raw and sliced thin. Bung 'em in your bowl to cook them, and eat. Very tasty. Also a good place to eat on a cold night because of all the burners. Kind of like shabu shabu in Japan.

Well I ordered the spicy, because that's how I roll. Clearly the cook had scraped the bottom of the huge broth pot because when the lid came off of my pot of broth, it had a 2-inch layer of red chilis floating on it. Everybody at the table laughed and laughed - so naturally I had to eat it.

I removed some of the chilis just to make room to cook the meat & veggies. It was incredibly hot, I was soon sweating like a pig. Went thru about three big beers in short order to quell the heat a little. But by jove I ate it. It was actually pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
You guys are crazy. I went to a Thai restaurant knowing that the food would be hot, so I asked for the absolute, most gentle meal they could offer me. DO NOT add fiery stuff, I insisted. Well, that didn't work. I couldn't finish even the first dish and I almost refused to pay the bill. My student, however, was digging in with great pleasure. I should have made him pay the bill!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
"I am living off the government tit! Sucking it dry!"
(since 1970)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
My student, however, was digging in with great pleasure.

"My student"? what do you teach Kluvon? :O
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon, you spice wimp!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
No surprise that South Asia is the source of many of singed tongues. Sri Lanka Curry House is where I've had the hottest food I've ever tasted. No contest. The waitress warned me that the food was quite hot, but I responded by bragging about the spicy hot foods I regularly eat and that I didn't need my dish to be Americanized. I swear the cook (who looked a lot like Kevin Kline with a tan) was glaring at me from the kitchen as he took over an hour to prepare my dish. It was inedible. I took it home and kept adding white rice to the dish until I could eat it. Four parts rice and one part Sri Lankan dish. The restaurant is also now long gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Sword, Board and Pen
badge
Hey! I run a board game blog at swordboardandpen.com! Come check it out!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a local Thai restaurant in town that my wife and I love. The first time we went, I ordered it "Thai" hot because of course we are in the middle of the midwest, so it's not like it's authentic...

blush

Big mistake. It was good, but I couldn't really taste anything the next day. I order it Hot now, and I swear that the cooks (who own the restaurant) give a little chuckle anytime I walk in.

Footnote: As to it being authentic, they close the restaurant down for 1-2 months every summer to go visit family in Thailand, so I'm pretty sure it's 'close'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
brodemir wrote:
Kluvon wrote:
My student, however, was digging in with great pleasure.

"My student"? what do you teach Kluvon? :O

At this point in my life I was just doing some tutoring, in math if you can believe it. Math is not my strong point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I lived in Austin, I went to several of the "nuclear taco" events, basically meat or veggie tacos with large quantities of habanero pepper and red savina pepper. (Red savinas were considered the hottest pepper in the world until 2007.) Those are hot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd09dbYHAqM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My GI tract and I are often at war.

I occasionally decide to use scorched earth tactics, so I always have a bottle of this at home:

I've always loved this note on the side:

It is pretty hot. If I have it for dinner and get any on my hands, soap and water does not remove it, even hours later. I've had some interesting experiences removing my contacts later in the evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
egg_salad wrote:
I've had some interesting experiences removing my contacts later in the evening.

That's happened to my wife too! I play it safe and wear glasses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
egg_salad wrote:
If I have it for dinner and get any on my hands, soap and water does not remove it, even hours later. I've had some interesting experiences removing my contacts later in the evening.

How was your experience using the bathroom? I had a buddy who found it hilarious to supply us with Dave's insanity sauce. He did the dishes by hand and then used the bathroom. That sapped the hilarity for him and supplied it to the rest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was this one girl I was dating...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sager
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was a scallop and habenero pizza. (Hey, I'm from San Diego!).
Pretty soon I was talking with a coyote that sounded like Johnny Cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to this pizza place I used to love when I was about 17, and I had asked for jalapeños on the side because I love jalapeños. Well, I get there, get my pizza, and my buddy and I pop open the container of "jalapeños" and they're reddish, so he decides he is not going to eat them because he doesn't remember ever trying red jalapeños.

I laugh at him and pop a handful of them (slices) into my face and eat thm, mocking him for being a wuss. About ten seconds later I felt my face melting, and I almost couldn't breathe, so I drove to the chevron across the lot where my friend worked and ran inside, so his bright idea was to remove the spigot from the Mountain Dew and let me drink some of the syrup to coat it... Yeah, it burned worse. After getting into the milk, a couple bottles of water, and some cinnamon rolls, all of which burned while I consumed it, it stopped hurting long enough for me to go home, I couldn't eat or drink anything room temperature or warmer the rest of the day because it literally hurt my face. I still don't know what kind of peppers those were, but I'm a Lot more careful in choosing my snacks these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
What is the remedy for spicy-hot food?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
What is the remedy for spicy-hot food?

Capsaicin is the active ingredient in many spicy foods that produces the burning sensation. It is hydrophobic so it has the same effect when mixed with water that fat does, ie it doesn't mix with water. Water just sloshes it around.

Drinking something that also contains hydrophobic properties, like milk, helps rinse it out of your mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
egg_salad wrote:
If I have it for dinner and get any on my hands, soap and water does not remove it, even hours later. I've had some interesting experiences removing my contacts later in the evening.

How was your experience using the bathroom? I had a buddy who found it hilarious to supply us with Dave's insanity sauce. He did the dishes by hand and then used the bathroom. That sapped the hilarity for him and supplied it to the rest of us.

I sing "Ring of Fire" a lot on the crapper (the youtube video was perfect). The pain is part of the fun.

I had a friend who used to go with me to Thai restaurants. This was back when we had just gotten the very first blackberry text pagers. We would provide each other vivid real time AARs from the Thai food fallout. Gross, but funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.