Subject: [Deck] HBFA - Barrier only - Thoughts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Now with another cheap barrier ICE (Paper Wall) around and the beloved Power Shutdown (to keep Corroder somewhat in check), I was thinking about a barrier only, more streamlined, fast-advance deck.

Something like this:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:
Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (11)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core) x3
Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus) x3
Gila Hands Arcology (Creation and Control) x1
False Lead (A Study in Static) x1
Efficiency Committee (Creation and Control) x3

Asset: (3)
Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) x3 ■

ICE: (16)
Ice Wall (Core) x3 ■
Wall of Static (Core) x3
Paper Wall (Mala Tempora) x3
Eli 1.0 (Future Proof) x3
Chimera (Cyber Exodus) x1
Bastion (Creation and Control) x3

Operation: (16)
Power Shutdown (Mala Tempora) x3 ■■
Green Level Clearance (A Study in Static) x3
Hedge Fund (Core) x3
Archived Memories (Core) x3
Restructure (Second Thoughts) x3
Interns (Mala Tempora) x1

Upgrade: (3)
SanSan City Grid (Core) x1 ■■■
Corporate Troubleshooter (Core) x1
Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead) x1

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 15
Jinteki: 0
NBN: 6
The Weyland Consortium: 9

What do you guys think, is it possible to just focus on one kind of ICE?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Norman
msg tools
I think the problem is that Power Shutdown is not reliable to kill a particular thing. Even if you want to focus on cheap end the runs, which seems reasonable, why not use NEXT Bronze and Rototurret to force out the other types of breakers. It's not that you have to, but more of why not. It doesn't cost you extra and buys you time until the rig is up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjnorman90 wrote:
I think the problem is that Power Shutdown is not reliable to kill a particular thing. Even if you want to focus on cheap end the runs, which seems reasonable, why not use NEXT Bronze and Rototurret to force out the other types of breakers. It's not that you have to, but more of why not. It doesn't cost you extra and buys you time until the rig is up.

I'm trying something similar(but im doing it in weyland with lots of program trash sentries) but the general gist is this:

If you only install barriers, they will usually only install barrier breakers.

Corroder is in almost every deck nowadays, and thats not too terrible to trash with power shutdown.

If they only install barrier breakers, it makes it more likely that their only choice for what to trash is corroder.

I dont think its a good idea in HBFA, since you dont have archer to back up the plan, but i think the idea is sound.

Also, how is this fast advance? You're only running 1 Sansan and no biotics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Saan wrote:

Also, how is this fast advance? You're only running 1 Sansan and no biotics.

I knew, I forgot to include something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Gauthier
France
flag msg tools
I think sentries trash program would be a nice addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth M
msg tools
mbmb
This deck instantly folds to Anarch (Datasucker, Parasite, Djinn all eat Power Shutdown, Corroder in-faction means they have multiple copies) and Shaper (SMC and Clone chip eat Power Shutdown, risk that they're running an in-faction barrier breaker instead)

It's a decent trick against Criminal running a singleton Corroder with no recursion, but not a great one because you've made one Special Order into three Special Orders. Not to mention that Criminal deck is often running Faerie, Datasucker, Parasite or Gorman Drip, all of which will eat the Shutdown.

Making this choice makes your deck weaker against the field and you don't need to do it to Shutdown Corroder, nothing is stopping you from including some Rototurrets or Enigmas and still having Power Shutdown to hit Corroder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David L.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I would think you would get stomped in the cases in which your fracter-sniping plan does not work (i.e. when they have cheaper programs/hardware installed, when they have pricier fracters than Corroder, when they have program recursion, etc.) Once they have gotten around the threat of you making them fracter-less, you're left with 16 pieces of relatively easy to get through Ice.

I think including PS with the intent of being able to snipe an early breaker is a decent enough idea. I just don't think you need to handicap your Ice suite to do it.

That, and you need some FA cards in there somewhere .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott West
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's possible to focus on only one kind of ICE, but it's just a bad idea. Making it easier for the runner to build their rig is only going to tilt the game in their favour. Even if you're trying to maximize the cost to break on your ICE, all the clicks the runner saves looking for and then installing other breakers will be used on economy instead. Until there are legitimately good ICE-type pumping cards, (and the ones from ONR were not good enough,) mono-ICE is nothing but a drawback for the corp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you do if your opponent runs Morningstar? Power Shutdown is going to have difficulty destroying it, and Chimera is the only piece of ICE that can stop it. Since they are likely to either be The Professor or Anarch if they are running Morningstar, this also likely means they have Parasite, so they can just destroy Chimera.

The problem with choosing all of the same type of ICE is that you don't force the Runner to setup more of their rig. They just need one icebreaker and they can get through everything you throw at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.