badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please share if you do...

Here's my first thoughts.

D5?
M2
Flame breath: A4 R2
Two attacks with the arms: A3 R1
Tail whip attack: A2 and attacks all units in all hexes adjacent to Zilla.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think it will be most interesting with some new rules, not just stats.

When giving the arms range 1 remember that a hex is 1.5 km.

I think maybe you give it no ranged attacks but make a monster, if you'll excuse the term, in overrun. It's certainly going to need some kind of breath or other ranged weapon to use as point defense.

While people have toyed with Godzilla rules over the decades I've never loved any of the implementations. Kaiju combat and sci fi tanks are pretty different, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the "Ogre vs. Godzilla" rules in the Ogre Book? If so, there you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they are not.

-Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine von Hoffman
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

I think it will be most interesting with some new rules, not just stats.

I think maybe you give it no ranged attacks but make a monster, if you'll excuse the term, in overrun. It's certainly going to need some kind of breath or other ranged weapon to use as point defense.

While people have toyed with Godzilla rules over the decades I've never loved any of the implementations. Kaiju combat and sci fi tanks are pretty different, after all.

I like your point about the arms. Might still go with range on the breath attack but not sure now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
and I are working up some BGG-zilla rules and a scenario to stick him in. We're going to playtest it a bit Tuesday, but I don't think he'll mind if I attach his summary version of the rules here:

Quote:
BGG-zilla
Move of 2, may be pushed to 3 for 1 ability point. Must stop for rivers.
Defense of 7, 6, 5, 4 (15 points per level)
HP = 10
Ability Pool of 6 points (initially, is not a maximum)
Breath weapon - attack 6 range 2, may be pushed to range 3 for 1 ability point, may be pushed to 8 attack for one ability point.
Tail sweep - Attack 2 range 1 up to 3 adjacent hexes.
HTH - attack 8 range 0. Attacks are doubled in overrun.

Devour a reactor = 1 ability point per 10SP.
Ability points may be used to increase HP (1 for 1), move 3, give breath range of 3, give breath attack of 8 . Cost is 1 each
VP for damage as for Raid scenario.
Examine train = 10 points.

So we wanted him to not just be a re-skinned Ogre; instead he's kind of very vaguely an inverted Ogre. Defender players will have to choose between attacking his Armor/Defense score (which is attacked and damaged at 1/1 like Ogre treads) and then attacking his HP themselves. The lower you knock his armor, the easier it is to get good odds on HP attacks, which, like an Ogre, only are lost on an X result.

Bonus points to anyone who can figure out why we added the optional 'examine train' scenario goal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
The underlying problem is that any set of abilities that reflects Godzilla movie "reality" would have to have all action occur at a zero hex range given the 1.5 kilometer per hex scale of the Ogre game. Godzilla cinematic scale is probably in the range of 100 to 150 meters per hex (depends on which movie you reference).

We will see what we can do to come up with a fun scenario that has a Zilla feel to it without requiring too much suspension of disbelief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

On the other hand, it's a reptile, which means little infra red signature, and we can rationalize somehow that it's not to visible in millimeter radar, either. Add it's non-vehicular motion and it has a high defense, and even *higher* in town and forest hexes. Of course it's amphibious.

If the GEV jockeys of 2085 are forced to resort to manual aiming in overruns this critter could be a problem.

And of course it regenerates. This would usually be done by slithering into a hole of some kind, so it's tough to catch it napping.

So there's lots of room to play around with game functions while maintaining Ogre's "hard science" flavor. It just takes a little work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Are the "Ogre vs. Godzilla" rules in the Ogre Book? If so, there you are.

They're in Pyramid Classic #01, you can download it from E23 on the SJG website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Is just giving the Godzilla stats a copy right infringement?

Otherwise that would be cool Ogre vrs Godzilla

[Edit] - I originally put States; correct to stats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Sunley
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My version is posted here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1089319/my-take-on-the-bgg-z...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some comments:

Movement of 2 I can see, but being bipedal, I would have the Zilla ignore all terrain effects, including water and craters. Godzilla has no trouble stomping through forests, Tokyo (I mean, towns) and swimming in water. The only thing that seems to slow him down is power lines .

I tend to agree that the breath weapon is short range only, so range 1, but I like the idea of simultaneously affecting the current hex and 1-2 adjacent hexes (as long as they are adjacent to each other). That should give him a nice offensive ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone back to a descriptions from the original film (as later ones allowed 'zilla to fly....

D8
M3
A5 two adjacent hexes, one must be next to the monster (so the other can target the hex it is in)

First hit stops beast, following hits will drive it straight away from the source of the attacks. There is no way to kill the monster, just keep it away from your cities.

Radiation makes it it's own jammer
Will move to nearest reactor then largest Ogre
Will get one attack as per a laser tower, one as per laser turret and one as per ogre main for each cruise / ogre missile as it comes in.

Nuclear strikes or eating a reactor will randomly increase one of it's stats by one.
If used in a campaign then start it with stats of
D7
M2
A4 two adjacent hexes, one must be next to the monster (so the other can target the hex it is in)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went ahead and bought the two Pyramid issues. One for Godzilla which I can use for BGG-zilla and the other for King Ghidorah and Mothra.

Not bad actually

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

The arms could still conceivable do damage out to 1.5 km given the beast is probably toppling things and maybe even tossing things as it goes. But rather than thinking 'two attacks' because it 'has two arms', I'd think more along the lines of its two arms working together in a single attack, but possibly getting more than one attack based on the time span involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor Thorne
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
May I ask which issue has the stats for Mothra & King Ghidorah?
Thanks
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought
Pyramid Classic #01:
www.warehouse23.com/products/pyramid-classic-number-01

and

Pyramid Classic #05:
www.warehouse23.com/products/pyramid-classic-number-05

Number 5 has Mothra & Ghidorah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.