Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to delve into the strategy of Acquire and know when to merge two companies and just what to do with the stock.

So here's the scenario:

There's one company that is at 35 tiles (nearing game end basically). This company has no more stock available.

There are two small companies of 2 to 3 tiles that are very near it and I have the merging tiles for both.

I own stock in both of the small companies and I again have the merging tiles. I'm not sure if I'm the majority or minority owner but I feel like I could be in the running.

Do I merge either or both of the small companies with the large company knowing I cannot get any more stock in the big company because it is no longer available?

Do I just hang on to the stock and not merge the companies so I can get the value of the stock at game end for the two smaller companies?

Do I merge the companies and hope that I will profit as the majority or minority holder because the bonus will be worth more than the stock will be at game end?

Will the stock at game end, which will be soon, be worth more than merging and selling the stocks for cash since there is no more stock to buy?

Sorry for all of the questions but I feel like if I get these answers, I'll have a better understanding of what to do at the end game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
Do I merge either or both of the small companies with the large company knowing I cannot get any more stock in the big company because it is no longer available?

Can you get more stock in the small companies? Can your opponents?
If you cannot and they can, then you want to merge now to end the game rather than letting them buy more stock (whose value may increase). Unless you believe the others who have cash and can buy more are not your serious competitors anyway (i.e. they'll finish behind you in any case). Then you'd rather let the game continue and increase the size of the chain - assuming you own more stock in it than your serious competitors.

Quote:
Do I just hang on to the stock and not merge the companies so I can get the value of the stock at game end for the two smaller companies?

You get the value of your stock either way (whether it merges or whether it's game over).

Quote:
Do I merge the companies and hope that I will profit as the majority or minority holder because the bonus will be worth more than the stock will be at game end?

That dichotomy doesn't make sense; you get the value of the stock either way (whether it merges or whether it's game over), and you get the majority holder bonus if you deserve it either way (whether it merges or whether it's game over).

Quote:
Will the stock at game end, which will be soon, be worth more than merging and selling the stocks for cash since there is no more stock to buy?

Only if the chains can grow larger so that the price goes up. That's usually pretty easy to see if they have room to grow or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If all you are going to do is increase the size and value of the large corporation for others, don't merge. Unless you need the money. Actually, I think it's pretty situation specific, and more information would be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.