Popular Tags: [View All]
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the difference between tech companies who are now "taking on" government spying and actual government spying? Many of these companies track internet use and collect private data just like the NSA, but for different purposes.

Is there a normative difference in the violation of privacy based on who is doing the violating?

See the video here: I'm an Internet Company, I'm the Government

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
What's the difference between tech companies who are now "taking on" government spying and actual government spying? Many of these companies track internet use and collect private data just like the NSA, but for different purposes.

Is there a normative difference in the violation of privacy based on who is doing the violating?

See the video here: I'm an Internet Company, I'm the Government

I sign the Agree for the EULA with the tech company. I give them my data for use of their product and know that going in. I can refuse to use their product and switch to some other company.

The Feds however have signed an agreement with me called the US constitution and are violating it every day. I have no recourse to fight the feds as they have more weaponry then I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say there is a difference. Companies do not have the power of the blackjack the way the government does, and those companies which have my information I have usually given them voluntarily. There are more recourses against companies who abuse this power, greater consequences for those that are caught, and greater oversight of their use. For these reasons I am less troubled by a company using my information than the government.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When talking about privacy concerns with my German colleagues, they are much more worried about corporate tracking and not so much about government tracking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
qzhdad wrote:
When talking about privacy concerns with my German colleagues, they are much more worried about corporate tracking and not so much about government tracking.

As they should be. We all know the German government would never do anything bad.

Well, at the very least we know what the German government is doing and planning. Thanks NSA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
bjlillo wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

As they should be. We all know the German government would never do anything bad.

Good joke, but yeah -- Germans actually expect the government to be functioning. The criticism Americans had for Bush the latter was about the same level Germans have for every current lower-rank minister and above. German naïvety goes so far as to expect politicians to not be corrupt. The last president was kicked out because he received a loan with a low interest rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.