Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
So if I read the rules for Side Quest Correctly, we would only actually play two (2) side Quests total for the whole expansion? One in Act One and then one in Act 2? That seems so light to me, but the Quest Cards say you can only do one of the three act 1's and based on which act 1 you have to play the subsequent act 2. Is this technically right?

Now, it seems those three Act 1 quest make for a nice story arc. I am aware of the mini campaign that was released online, but does it REALLY gum things up, if you just play 2 or even 3 of the Act 1 side quests anyway during the Shadow Rune campaign??

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You interpreted correctly. During a standard campaign (as with The Shadow Rune or Labyrinth of Ruin), you would only play two Rumor quests.

If you wanted to play more over the course of a campaign, you would be benefiting the heroes in the long run. Many people here agree that it's to the Overlord's detriment to even play the standard number of Rumor quests, because it gives the heroes more opportunities for gold and more Shop phases during which to spend it. Playing all three of the Act I Rumor quests and then both of the Act II Rumor quests would increase that effect.

Also, the flavor might not make sense if you played both of the Act II Rumor quests.

Also also, if you did that, then the heroes would have the opportunity to gain more XP than they should be able to.

Basically, you definitely don't want to play both Act II Rumor quests during a campaign, and you probably still don't want to play more than one of the Act I Rumor quests during a campaign (and if you're an overlord without a Plot deck, you don't want to play any for the most part).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Trollfens expansion in addition to this AND the right rumor card draw. You COULD have the opportunity to play two ACT I and two ACT II rumor quests. assuming the OL played those rumor cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Even with a plot deck, it's not a very stellar gamble. 1 Threat for playing the card, 1 threat for losing the quest, and 0-4 threat for knocking out heroes versus the heroes getting 1 shop step and 0-4 Search cards for attempting the quest. With plot decks and sidequests, the question becomes "Is 1 Shopping Step worth 2 Threat?". In my anecdotal experience of mixing Lair of the Wyrm and Trollfens with The Shadowrune and Belthir's Hybrid Loyalty deck, the answer is no. Even if I had won both What's Yours is Mine and Food for Worms [I was not even close on either], the Relics I'd have won would not have put me ahead in the quest.

The main flaw of the sidequest expansions remains unchanged; the overlord is incredibly disincentivized to play them.

As a variant I'd like to try making some time, there needs to be more of a "time wasted" type thematic penalty for the heroes attempting sidequests. The overlord gaining a threat even if he loses represents this in the current rules, but it is not enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
I'm not a "Descent is and only can be a Tactical Miniatures Game" guy. I'm a lets play this game that feels like a plug an play RPG kind of guy, battling through scenarios, and I will try to win one here and there, but let's have fun like in the old days...guy. I would definitely not play two Act II rumor quests, maybe just two of the Act I.

thanks for the insight!! I consider this question resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimso wrote:
I'm not a "Descent is and only can be a Tactical Miniatures Game" guy. I'm a lets play this game that feels like a plug an play RPG kind of guy, battling through scenarios, and I will try to win one here and there, but let's have fun like in the old days...guy. I would definitely not play two Act II rumor quests, maybe just two of the Act I.

thanks for the insight!! I consider this question resolved.

While this is the correct way to play, I have to say that, as an overlord who hasn't won a single quest except for First blood, the fun realy seeps out sometime when you get crushed without any hope of winning time and time again.

I highly recommend you houserule these quests so that the overlord still gets 1xp when they lose the quest. It's too brutal and unfair otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.