Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We played our 1st game at my club last night with 6 players. The GOO was Azasthoth we comprensively lost. We lost so badily that we had not completed even one part of the 1st mystery. We are going to try again next week and hope we have more luck. On our 1st turn no one succeded at anything, but we quickily learned not to fear going into debt as most of us got rid of it using influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game's not easy but it's definitely beatable. We're 2-4 so far but the first loss was largely because we had never played before and we got a rule or two wrong that worked against us (we thought monster surges worked on ALL decks, didn't realize it was just that color, and we thought monsters didn't take damage unless you beat their attack value. Both totally wrong and made it a lot harder. )

Quick debt tip: try and buy assets as your first action. That way if you want to go into debt to get two extra successes and buy that big gun or whatever you will have your will have your second action available to try and clear the debt right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damean Rendell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep the game is hard. You can adjust the difficulty Pg 14 reference guide. Maybe a good idea while you get the mechanics down. We played one game like this and won but it was still touch and go. It did allow the new players to not feel like they were being stomped on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got around to playing my first game of EH. I didn't put any expectations into it, even as a huge AH fan.

I will say that, with 2 investigators, Azathoth went down in less than an hour. I was pretty surprised at how easily the 2 characters skated on through. I only had to fight 1 monster, thanks to a well-timed asset acquisition another one was taken off the board early on, and my 2 investigators only visited, maybe, 4 or 5 spaces on the board (meaning they stayed in one spot on most turns instead of moving around) for their encounters before wrapping up the 3rd mystery.

Now, maybe that says more about how the game scales, rather than the overall difficulty. But, as someone who has been obliterated by AH countless times, I couldn't believe I won my 1st game of EH right out of the box.

I plan on setting up again ASAP, though, as 1 game does not make for a good sample size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
I just got around to playing my first game of EH. I didn't put any expectations into it, even as a huge AH fan.

I will say that, with 2 investigators, Azathoth went down in less than an hour. I was pretty surprised at how easily the 2 characters skated on through. I only had to fight 1 monster, thanks to a well-timed asset acquisition another one was taken off the board early on, and my 2 investigators only visited, maybe, 4 or 5 spaces on the board (meaning they stayed in one spot on most turns instead of moving around) for their encounters before wrapping up the 3rd mystery.

Now, maybe that says more about how the game scales, rather than the overall difficulty. But, as someone who has been obliterated by AH countless times, I couldn't believe I won my 1st game of EH right out of the box.

I plan on setting up again ASAP, though, as 1 game does not make for a good sample size.

Yeah, the game is a little two easy for 2 players (at least against Azathoth). I might have to change the scaling effects of the mysteries if other GOOs play similarly.

(i.e. a lot of Azathoths mysteries say stuff like: "blah blah blah, to complete this mystery put clue tokens on this card equal to 1/2 the number of investigators," which is just painfully simple with 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damean Rendell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing happened to me first game. Two players vs Azathoth. We cruised through the game in 90 minutes. The next three games, two two player one four player, did not go nearly as well. The last time, game five, with three newbies we played on easy mode vs Yog and won but it was still rather tight, we were just three turns from the mythos deck running out.

Eldritch does feel less like you are being bludgeoned by the game than Arkham can feel at times, though that may simply be a result of the streamlined rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
weezknight wrote:

Yeah, the game is a little two easy for 2 players (at least against Azathoth). I might have to change the scaling effects of the mysteries if other GOOs play similarly.

(i.e. a lot of Azathoths mysteries say stuff like: "blah blah blah, to complete this mystery put clue tokens on this card equal to 1/2 the number of investigators," which is just painfully simple with 2).

I think Eldritch Horror is on par with or slightly harder to win than Pandemic. It's not punch-you-in-the-face difficult like Ghost Stories but it's definitely harder than Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. Most people I've met don't think Pandemic is "easy" but some people who post here who have played the game a lot and/or are expert gamers claim it's easy. I believe Eldritch Horror falls in the same category; most people who post here and that I've played with don't consider the game easy, but the game is beatable and if you're already an expert Arkham Horror player and/or just an awesome gamer all around then you'll have an easier time beating it.

Personally to me that doesn't mean the game is "easy". It just means the person saying it's easy is awesome at it. But for the average person playing the game it's not that easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:

I think Eldritch Horror is on par with or slightly harder to win than Pandemic. It's not punch-you-in-the-face difficult like Ghost Stories but it's definitely harder than Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. Most people I've met don't think Pandemic is "easy" but some people who post here who have played the game a lot and/or are expert gamers claim it's easy. I believe Eldritch Horror falls in the same category; most people who post here and that I've played with don't consider the game easy, but the game is beatable and if you're already an expert Arkham Horror player and/or just an awesome gamer all around then you'll have an easier time beating it.

Personally to me that doesn't mean the game is "easy". It just means the person saying it's easy is awesome at it. But for the average person playing the game it's not that easy.

True, I wouldn't deny the game has a lurking level of difficulty in it. I suspect the odd numbered sessions will be significantly harder. Even without that, I may have just gotten lucky in my initial session. For example, I didn't learn about the difficulty rating of the mythos cards till long after we finished; I have no idea what the composition of tentacles to snowflakes turned out to be (that's a sentence I never thought I'd be writing ). We also had some pretty powerful character abilities conferred from the random draw (Trish and Kane).

I also concede to the point that the average gamer on BGG is perhaps a touch more experienced than the average bear.

Still, my girlfriend is new to gaming yet found EH simple enough to remark on mid-game. It didn't detract from her sense of fun, but she (a new convert to the cause) found it to be the easiest two player co-op in my collection (which includes Pandemic, Ghost Stories, Legends of Andor, Lord of the Rings LCG, Defenders of the Realm and Forbidden Desert). Fair assessment? I'll let you know after this weekend when we take on Cthulhu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Villanova
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

Half the mysteries say this. The other half say you need to 2 clue tokens to put an Eldritch token on the mystery card of which you need either 1 Eldritch token per investigator or 1/2 an Eldritch token per investigator. I am assuming you noticed the difference between the two types, but I could see how some people would overlook them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ginyu POWER

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 4 times, won once. But one loss was cause it was our first game, and another was due entirely to hubris (pro tip: faffing about trying to collect gear and clues when the world's going to hell in a handbasket is not a winning strategy). And the third was Cthulhu. Our win was a substantial win, and I've been feeling tangible improvement with each game. I think there's a good learning curve to the game, so keep playing! You'll get there (and have plenty of difficulty modifiers waiting when you do goo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
preptime wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:

Half the mysteries say this. The other half say you need to 2 clue tokens to put an Eldritch token on the mystery card of which you need either 1 Eldritch token per investigator or 1/2 an Eldritch token per investigator. I am assuming you noticed the difference between the two types, but I could see how some people would overlook them.

To be fair I think his point was that with two investigators almost all the mysteries aside from epic monster fights only needs half the clues or Eldritch tokens to solve (and the epic monsters typically scale too). So you only need to do half the work with two that you do with four. Of course the counter-argument is that you need to do that work with half the people and meanwhile you lose a bit of possible synergies and map coverage with fewer characters.

Personally I have no idea whether two or four is easier. I do know though that all odd numbers of investigators are harder than the even number one higher (eg three is harder to win with than four) because you need to do the exact same amount of work with one less person. So the moral is always use an even number of investigators (unless of course you think the game is too easy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting you should say that I solo played with two characters and won in 6 turns!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudrun Runix
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I think the game is difficult, particularly for new players. It has something of what I call the "FFG difficulty curve" - easy wins for veteran gamers, very hard-fought wins for new players.

That said, there are a lot of factors that mitigate its difficulty. The rules are straightforward, which really helps. The objectives are fairly clearly outlined, which helps point players in the right direction. Most of the game is straightforward skill tests, and it's not difficult to figure out which tasks are going to require which skills. It doesn't rely heavily on arcane combinations of abilities, and there aren't a lot of weird loopholes that take time to figure out, and which make the game difficult until they're figured out.

In short: it has a lot of the difficulty of Arkham Horror, but it's more approachable than AH, with a smoother and faster learning curve. And it has virtually none of the host of issues that make The Lord of the Rings LCG an exercise in intense frustration.

Most of all, though, it's really rich in flavor and story. That for me makes the difficulty liveable. Win or lose, it feels like I'm experiencing an epic story, so while fateful Mythos draws or unlucky rolls are still unhappy experiences, I'm still enjoying the overall arc of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runix wrote:
I think the game is difficult, particularly for new players. It has something of what I call the "FFG difficulty curve" - easy wins for veteran gamers, very hard-fought wins for new players.

A few people have now mentioned this, and, perhaps, that is the case. Maybe EH isn't for the veteran AH player, but, as many have surmised, a better introduction for players who may see AH as too daunting (an overgeneralized perception IMO, but that's for another thread).

Perhaps because I'm so well acquainted with AH it made my victory far easier than if I had never set foot into FFG's Lovecraft games. It would be interesting to see if those who are having great success are former AH players, and, if the ones who have yet to see victory in 4, 5 or 6 plays, are new to the whole series of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weezknight wrote:

Perhaps because I'm so well acquainted with AH it made my victory far easier than if I had never set foot into FFG's Lovecraft games. It would be interesting to see if those who are having great success are former AH players, and, if the ones who have yet to see victory in 4, 5 or 6 plays, are new to the whole series of games.

I'm not seeing how familiarity with AH aids in the EH play experience. Sure, general game proficiency helps (the more proficient you are in what we can call "systems thinking," the more successful you're likely to be), but so long as you prioritize your goals I suspect most players will do well. I find it hard to believe that anything I learned from playing AH is being drawn upon when prioritizing threats.

Still, I'm not saying you're wrong.. I just find the notion a tad hard to swallow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Villanova
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think playing too much AH would make it more difficult to beat EH because you would be too focused on gathering items and closing gates which you don't really have as much time for in EH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.