Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Correia
Portugal
Nazaré
Leiria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I have several games that for some reasons (lack of partners mostly, time, wife who doesn't like "new" complicated rules) I hadn't the opportunity to play them yet, I have read some of the rule books, others are too complicated just to read and not play it soon, and I would like to share your experience with these games, if they are worth it keeping or I should just trade\sell it.

I love heavy euros, although I don't play them often, i love family games because I can make everybody play it.

What do you say about these games:

Tempus
Strasbourg
Pillars of the Earth
Civilization The Board Game
Jerusalem
La Citta
Maharaja
Munchkin Quest
Shadows Over Camelot (I only played it once solo)
Mykerinos
Descent 1º Edition - Journeys in the dark

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd leave Civilization. The game that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pillar of the earth is a fantastic game.

I like shadows over Camelot but as people have noted it is out shined by newer coop games.

Munchin quest could be used a kindling in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Syvanis wrote:
Pillar of the earth is a fantastic game.

Totally agree with this comment! You definitely should try to get your wife to try it. It isn't too complicated of a game and has quite a bit of depth to the game play.

Probably a small step up from a "gateway" game. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mykerinos is...ok. Well designed, but I never get the urge to play it. And I only played it about 4 or 5 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
La Città is a great game. It takes a while (perhaps three hours or so) but it goes by pretty quickly as you are doing things most of the time.

You are trying to make your city grow by adding buildings and attracting citizens from other nearby cities by having more of certain types of structures.

The rules are quite simple with easy to understand mechanics. The part that become a bit tiresome is counting up the number of citizens in your cities. But that isn't too bad.

The components are pretty cool. The tiles are pretty. The board can be randomized so the strategy changes.

Also, it's a pretty expensive game usually, so I would suggest keeping it. Give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second the recommendation to keep La Citta - I got rid of mine for the same reason you describe, I could never get it on the table, and I've regretted it since. Learn from my mistakes, young grasshopper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fletcher
England
flag msg tools
I must go down to the sea again
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

I like shadows over Camelot but as people have noted it is out shined by newer coop games.

Apart from grammatical details (save the irregular verbs, please!) I have to add that though there might be newer and more complex cooperative games around (some of which I own and enjoy)there is nothing that lets you be part of the round table and withstand an increasing number of Saxons and siege engines like Shadows over Camelot. Play and enjoy it - Eduardus vult!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Of the games I know:

Tempus — Suffered from massive hypeoverexpectation when it came out, somewhat unfairly. Turns out to be a moderately quick area control with a bit of conflict and various development paths. Has since been surpassed by titles like Olympos and Kemet; and depending on what you consider important in this style of game, Vinci / Small World. Has usability issues if you have the ProLudo-edition. My advice: Only interesting if you insist on building a collection out of Martin Wallace games, or if the variety in the games I mentioned limits you in other ways.

Strasbourg — game-technically interesting marriage of a mechanism rarely seen (blind bidding), thus a good example of Stefan Feld's earlier way of game design. Feels off at all player numbers: either there is a lot of control but then the bids are uninteresting, or the other way around. Can also cause nasty and 'unfair' victories simply because a player came earlier or later in turn order, which in this game is hard to plan effectively for. My advice: play for the sake of learning what the old Felds are about.

Jerusalem — odd majorities game which only rewards the player in the lead. Ordinary balance or leeching strategies fail. Your only option is agressively peppering the board which gets old very quickly. The board itself is beautiful to behold, but really too much form over function. Not a bad game in its own right, but given alternatives will always lose out. My advice: sell it on.

La Citta — a plodding game about simplistic city growth fuelled by both public and private action cards. Has an interesting mechanism to steal population from other cities (or being forcefead depending on whether you want the people or not) but has little in terms of a 'story arc' or interesting interactive mechanisms. The concept of city growth has been captured better in later games, although the idea of leeching population has remained fairly unique. Has usability issues with keeping track of the population levels, although it all looks quite cool. Good when it came out, now all but forgotten, and probably with good reason. My advice: this game is rather like a nice red wine which hasn't aged all that well. If you play, play with the variant that cycles the public action cards to prevent them from getting stale. But in the end you may want to sell it on.

Maharaja — If you fancy playing a game where utter player chaos can waylay your plans with ease, then Maharaja's your game. If not, stay away from this title. This is really all you need to know.

Mykerinos — One of the best area majority games out there, and rare in the sense that it also works well with 2 players despite using a neutral colour. It derives much of its strength from its relatively simple structure where not a single detail may escape from your attention. This game is from a previous area when majority games were all in vogue, and may not appeal to today's gamers. My advice: play, be impressed, and keep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fletcher111 wrote:
Syvanis wrote:

Apart from grammatical details (save the irregular verbs, please!) I have to add that though there might be newer and more complex cooperative games around (some of which I own and enjoy)there is nothing that lets you be part of the round table and withstand an increasing number of Saxons and siege engines like Shadows over Camelot. Play and enjoy it - Eduardus vult!

Not working on a thesis and typing on a ipad, sorry to offend your grammatical sensibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hélio Andrade
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tempus - KEEP
Strasbourg - SELL
Pillars of the Earth - SELL
Civilization The Board Game - KEEP
Jerusalem - SELL
La Citta - SELL
Maharaja - KEEP
Munchkin Quest - SELL
Shadows Over Camelot (I only played it once solo) - KEEP
Mykerinos - NOT SURE
Descent 1º Edition - Journeys in the dark - SELL

Se quiseres que elabore algo mais sobre algum em concreto diz. Abr!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.