Subject: show me more p2p/area movment large counter ancient-ww2 wargames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no interest in monster/traditional hex based mass counter games. I want something like No Retreat (nice large small-count beauty counters, large small-count hexes on a large scale) or Here I stand (minimal stacks being moved, p2p) or Europe Engulfed (blocks/area movement).

Even blocks are losing their lustre as it simply doesnt look as good on the tabletop, and the fog of war is somewhat questionable (most commanders knew ahead of time where and what their enemy was, if not exactly..thinking modern era here anyways ie: "we knew it was the 21st panzer"...not interested in hearing the counterarguments here, I know and understand them but just feel the immersive game experience and playability suffer somewhat...I want to see the forces moving on both sides and 'get to it' and not fuss about with rotating blocks etc.)

Ideally the game would have area or p2p only, and a small count of large beautiful counters. Sword of Rome might be the better example.

Eyeing Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War for instance, and find myself just wishing it was big counters No Retreat style instead of blocks.

So...ancients to WW2. Suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Napoleon
A House Divided
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Command Series May be a good choice, though I haven't played them myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CDGs fit your description pretty well: Washington's War, Wilderness War, Paths of Glory, etc.

The Commands & Colors family might fit despite the hexes. Most are attractive (blocks are used in GMT's in place of counters, but not for fog of war), and all are fun and light.

I second the mention of A House Divided and Age of Napoleon.

Worthington Games has several that use squares and hexes at a very large scale so they aren't overwhelming. They play a bit like area games. Gettysburg 150 and Chainmail come to mind.

Compass Games has a Napoleonic series that uses areas to model individual battles, and does it pretty well: Medina de Rioseco and Eagles of the Empire: Spanish Eagles.

MMP even has a few area/PtP games. King Philip's War is my favorite among them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Kienzle
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my favorite games of all time seem to fit the bill. Out of print, but not terribly hard to track down:

Victory in the Pacific

Storm over Arnhem

There were a number of games that used the Storm Over Arnhem system, though most featured escalating complexity and number of units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Battles if you can find it.

Rome at War (ancient) Eagles Of The Empire (Napoleonics), Wars of the States and Empires series (19th century) all use large counters and area movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
Eyeing Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War for instance, and find myself just wishing it was big counters No Retreat style instead of blocks.

You could just lay down the blocks and treat them like counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for A House Divided, which is exactly what you ordered: Point-to-point, large counters, and pretty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendations for Wilderness War and Victory in the Pacific.

And as an earlier poster noted regarding block games, all one has to do is lay them flat and they become large, thick counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be a lot more interesting if bgg image server was working...

Anyways, I think the blocksflatascounters idea is problematic, due to step reduction. "Was this a 2 step or 3 step unit?" "Beats me."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
Anyways, I think the blocksflatascounters idea is problematic, due to step reduction. "Was this a 2 step or 3 step unit?" "Beats me."
It works if you are consistent in how you "face" your blocks. Every once in a while I forget tis simple rule and set up a block game for solitaire play and face the blocks "locally northward" (ie. relative to me) and then switch sides and do the same thins. Then when I start to play I forget that I have done that and so all the opposing blocks start weak and get stronger!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Coconut Creek
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it lacks the large pretty counters, I will echo the calls for Wilderness War. An excellent game.

I'm a new convert to Warriors of God. It has area movement and nice large counters, so you might want to give it a look (once the images come back).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Strahm
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well it's not point to point, but Empire of the Sun has pretty big counters and quite low counter density.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.