Dark Darker Darkest» Forums » General

Subject: Play with 4-5 players (characters) only. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I feel that the game suffers if you try to play 2-3 characters. There are not enough actions and not enough chances for chaos to occur. You simply run out of rounds without barely anything done.

I almost feel like using below 4 characters shouldn't be allowed as it changes up the dynamics of the game a lot. There is much less of that "do we split up or stick together" thought that crosses your mind.

I'm just worried if people tried tried this game first with only 2-3 characters. They'd probably give up on the game after that. That being said the game with 5 characters is crazy fun.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's best with five by far, and I enjoy four players a lot, but I've had great games with three characters. In my experience, three characters makes for the easiest game. You still have to split up, so it doesn't change the team dynamic completely, but you're right that the strategy for three chars is different than with more chars. But you should probably never play with just two.
-ryanjamal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We played with four characters and the game was far far too easy. I would say stick with 2 or 3 or, better yet, play a better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
We played with four characters and the game was far far too easy. I would say stick with 2 or 3 or, better yet, play a better game.
In my experience, 4 is the most difficult after 2 (but I don't think 2 is really worth playing). Some games can turn out to be extremely lucky, but the game overall is decidedly not easy, not matter how many characters you play with. Furthermore, the game is extremely customizable, so you can adjust the difficulty to your own liking (by trying harder layouts, using the darker or darkest setting, using the room icon rules, adding in some of the kickstarter expansions, etc.). So, I gotta say Magic Pink, I disagree strongly with your assessment. If the easiness of play is one of the main reasons you didn't like it, I would give it another shot. Your experience is an uncommon one.
-ryanjamal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runner_boy_4ever wrote:

I'm just worried if people tried tried this game first with only 2-3 characters. They'd probably give up on the game after that.

Try this Variant when using fewer than 5 characters. I've played several more games this way, and (for me) it solves the "charactaers overwhelmed by a million zombies" problem.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.