Riccardo Simoni
Belgium
Diegem
Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the ways the OL may gain threat tokens the LT pack rules read:

Each time the overlord plays a Rumor card featuring a quest, he gains one threat token. Rumor cards and applicable rules are included in some Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition expansions.

Would this apply to the advanced rumor card quest that is put in play after completing any Act I rumor card quest?

Ok, the fact that the rule explicitly refers to the OL playing a rumor quest seems to rule this option out as the advanced quest is put in play by the game mechanics themselves and not by the OL.

Also should the OL win the rumor quest he/she would already gain 2 TT due to another way TT are gained:
At the end of each quest, the overlord receives one threat token. If the overlord wins the quest, he receives one additional threat token.

However considering that the advantages for the OL to play a rumor quest are immensely lower than heroes' it does not seem to me a bad idea rewarding the OL with an extra TT by loosing up the rules a little bit.

What do you think?

As a side note, I played yesterday for the first time on my second campaign played as OL 'What's yours is mine" rumor quest against 4 heroes.
I learned all the lesson taught on the forum and I consequently added the rumor quests after adding a LT plot deck first [Splig] to make the use of such side quests more meaningful.
I played it as the first quest after First Blood (which I incredibly won for the first time!!! …applause… )
I picked the Giants as the open group (WOW they are war/blocking machines… never used them before) who were basically unbeatable also thanks to the Splig plot card which cures monster (can't recall its name now).
I easily thrashed the heroes in about 1 hour as my friend, who is playing with 4 heroes, instead of rushing to the blocked door wasted precious time fighting with the hybrid sentinels (still don't understand why) who were respawning on every turn until they were reached by the 2 giants… although the heroes fought bravely there was no real contest, specially at this early stage of the game. Since he was not happy with his choice he somehow convinced me to have another go. This time he played much better (at least that was his idea) but the luck factor did not help him. I got on my initial 4 OL cards [Basic II] 2x Blinding Speed that I played on my 2 giants against Steelhorns who obviously failed both tests --- Muhahahaha
So my giants were on top of all heroes on turn 1 also managing to block their path to the blocked door and the room with the key. And the massacre commenced!!!! devil

You would ask 'why this guy after winning the quests twice wants to make the OL even stronger'?
Well, beside the immense fun I had playing this quest, in the end the relic I got is partially useful as all relics for the OL are. The real benefit for the OLs are TT's. On the contrary if I would have lost it the heroes would have gotten the amazing aurium mail armor… They still got away with lots of gold and guess what a Rune Plate armor (Nooooooooo) they found when they searched a token [the underestimated treasure hunter skill is pretty good in my opinion instead].
Having one more TT would minimally rebalance the use of the side quests, in my opinion.

Last question, do you confirm that no XP's are gained after playing rumor quests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis West
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sabbione wrote:
Last question, do you confirm that no XP's are gained after playing rumor quests?

Unless you are playing the mini Lair of the Wyrm Campaign (rules are here) you do not gain XP after playing a rumor quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbione wrote:

Correct, no XP. Adding extra XP to Act I and the Interlude would warp things a bit. The Advanced Sidequest cards in Act II do reward XP however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Bertelsen
msg tools
sabbione wrote:
Among the ways the OL may gain threat tokens the LT pack rules read:
Each time the overlord plays a Rumor card featuring a quest, he gains one threat token. Rumor cards and applicable rules are included in some Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition expansions.

Would this apply to the advanced rumor card quest that is put in play after completing any Act I rumor card quest?

Ok, the fact that the rule explicitly refers to the OL playing a rumor quest seems to rule this option out as the advanced quest is put in play by the game mechanics themselves and not by the OL.

Also should the OL win the rumor quest he/she would already gain 2 TT due to another way TT are gained:
At the end of each quest, the overlord receives one threat token. If the overlord wins the quest, he receives one additional threat token.

However considering that the advantages for the OL to play a rumor quest are immensely lower than heroes' it does not seem to me a bad idea rewarding the OL with an extra TT by loosing up the rules a little bit.

What do you think?

Only the Act 1 rumor card would give threat, as the one for Act 2 isn't played by the Overlord.

Until the lieutenant packs came the rumor quests generally favored the heroes, as they can usually benefit more from the rewards and also get to search for treasures. Now it's more even.

And as an Overlord you might want to play the rumor card featuring a quest as early as possible to get the threat tokens early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Simoni
Belgium
Diegem
Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afrostb wrote:

And as an Overlord you might want to play the rumor card featuring a quest as early as possible to get the threat tokens early on.

This is what I did indeed!

thanks for your comments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.