The Man
msg tools
Is there anything official on this? For example, Cain draws a couple purple, a couple green, and then a choice of one of those colours. Can she see the result of the 2 green and 2 purple, before choosing the final card? There are advantages if you are fishing for a card, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
At least I play in a way that you can't see what you draw before you make the decision.

(Edit: The same 'rule' applies to Consolidate Power and other draw effects.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Papageorgiou
Greece
Larisa
Larisa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Same here we don't look the cards until we have finished drawing for that turn.
Although no official rules refer to this, it feels more appropriate that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 9 under Receive Skills Step:
Quote:
. When a character with a multi-skill receives Skill Cards, he must first decide how many cards he will draw from
each type.

A player who has an option during the draw step must announce what he or she will draw before drawing any cards. In your example, Cain cannot look at her 4 fixed cards before deciding what her multi-skill draw is.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if it weren't the rule, I would look disfavourably apon anyone needlessly slowing down the game to do this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
Even if it weren't the rule, I would look disfavourably apon anyone needlessly slowing down the game to do this...
Well, some people can be quick about this... Starbuck draws her 2 purple and 2 red. Takes 5s to look at them, then declares she wants to draw a blue or green.

The other way, she gets her card all at once after declaring blue or green, and it takes the same amount of time anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps, but that is forgetting the human factor. All it takes is one slow player to drive other players in an already epic game around the bend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
Perhaps, but that is forgetting the human factor. All it takes is one slow player to drive other players in an already epic game around the bend.

If Cain, for example is fishing for a specific card, then she'll actually be faster looking at her fixed draw and seeing whether she has that card or not than if she tries to weigh up her chances of drawing it with 2 of that colour rather than 3.

I'm not saying I'd allow it either way, but it's not as simple as "extra decision slows things down"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Unofficial FAQ (which is honestly pretty darn canonical):
Unofficial FAQ wrote:
Q: Do characters with choices in their skill sets make the choice before seeing any cards or only before seeing any of the split set? (thread)
A: (Corey, FFG, by way of coltsfan76): Before seeing any of their cards. (This came up because of a poorly worded section in the Pegasus rulebook, which seemed to contradict the original rulebook.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:

I'm not saying I'd allow it either way, but it's not as simple as "extra decision slows things down"

They do when one happens in the middle of your draw and the other can be had during soemone else's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

They do when one happens in the middle of your draw and the other can be had during soemone else's turn.

Unless things happen during that turn - a Cylon Attack Crisis can make drawing a Strategic Plan (for Nuke or FTL) suddenly much more important, or Apollo discarding all his Executive Orders may encourage him to up his Leadership draw, etc.

Yes, you can decide your intended variable draw in advance, but a player doing that sort of forward planning is unlikely to need to do more than glance at his fixed cards to decide his variable ones anyway. It's the players who take ages over their decisions that are the problem - and they rarely plan ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and i'd rather not make it any harder for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.