brenton t vallade
United States
Trenton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Brentont’s board game review of: Blueprints

If you have never read one of my reviews before here is how it works, if you have just skip to the next paragraph.
1 components- quality of the components and their function in game play. (this includes the art)
2 box size / components- the size of the box compared to what it holds is important to me for shelf space and is rated here.
3 rule book- how easy is the rule book to understand (I learn most games directly from the books)
4 game play/ adaptability- fun, flat, satisfying or somewhere in between/ how easy is it to adapt to younger players and adaptations made if any.
5 components / game play = price- is it worth the money for what you get.

If it seems that all my reviews of game tend to be on the possitive side that is because they are, I dont like to review games that I didnt enjoy.
Each one being worth 0 to 10 points. These numbers will be averaged for its final score. (This score will not usually match my bgg rating which is based on game play alone)
I do not cover how the game is played. Only the points listed above. Please forgive my typos, spelling and grammar errors. I am a steel worker not an English teacher.

Description taken from BGG description. In Blueprints, players are architects who must use different colored dice to build three different structures from blueprints, with the dice providing different advantages to you. In the game, each round progresses like this:
Discover your blueprint.
Each turn, choose a die and place it in your building.
Reveal your building, tally your points, then discover who wins the awards and prizes.
After three rounds, players tally their awards and prizes to see who wins. Who will be the best architect?

1 components- The box is good and sturdy and has a linen finish wich I love, too bad this finish didnt carry over to the cards. The cards are of good stock I am just nit picking . The dice are standard, not a bad thing. Over all I would say the components are very good, my only complaint would be the size, not the quality, of the bag for the dice. There are 32 dice that need to be kept in the bag and shaken to randomize them and the bag is tiny. Once all the dice are in the bag there is no way you can shake them to randomize them. I had to supply my own dice bag for the game. The art is very simple, wich matches the theme perefectly, it looks very nice with out being to busy. Component Score: 7 (would have been a 9 with a usable dice bag)

2 box size / components- The size of the box is around the size of Bohnanza. It holds the game nicely with out being too large for the amount of stuff in the box. I did throw away the insert. It took up an inch or so top and bottom wich was fine but the width was intentionally short leaving the sides of the insert tapered. It looks nice but functions horroribly. Box Size Score: 7 (would have been a 9 with a usable insert)

3 rule book- The rule book was well written, easy to read and I had no issues learning to play from the book. Rule Book Score: 8

4 game play/ adaptability- The game is fun and easy. The more I play it the more I see that there is some stratigies to be found and played with but I dont think it will ever get too deep. It is a nice light game that can be played the entire family or with my wife as a time passer. The age on the box is very high for the game play. I would say children as young as 8 would be able to play this easily. Game Play Score: 6.6

5 components / game play = price- This game goes for around 30 US dollars. I would say a fair price for what you get and the plays I expect to get out of it. Price Score: 7

Final Score 7.14

I have enjoyed my first several plays of the game and look forward to many more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brentont wrote:
... The age on the box is very high for the game play. I would say children as young as 8 would be able to play this easily.

You're absolutely correct - my 7.5 year old son plays this with me and loves it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hudson
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brentont wrote:
Over all I would say the components are very good, my only complaint would be the size, not the quality, of the bag for the dice. There are 32 dice that need to be kept in the bag and shaken to randomize them and the bag is tiny. Once all the dice are in the bag there is no way you can shake them to randomize them. I had to supply my own dice bag for the game. The art is very simple, wich matches the theme perefectly, it looks very nice with out being to busy. Component Score: 7 (would have been a 9 with a usable dice bag)

I laughed out loud when I read that line because that was my same exact thought the moment I opened the box. I don't know how they didn't see that in play testing.

I just played this for the first time last night with my wife. I liked it but wasn't blown away by it. I do look forward to playing this with 3-4 players to see the difference in game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. We love this game. It's compelling with 2, 3 or 4, something I don't find in too many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls