Subject: Which Expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so we love PitchCar. We play it with students and they always have a ball. We currently have the base game, first expansion and the cross. I recently discovered that you can get extra cars from Ferti and at the next opportunity, we will play a sort of "pursuit" variation where you have two packs roughly equally spaced - expect carnage!

The question now though is this: my father has given us some money to buy more bits for Christmas, so, what do we get? We can probably get two expansions with the money, but which ones? I've read a lot of stuff and I might have got an extra base game, but we already have spare cars, so am torn between another first expansion, expansion 2, and the stunt race.

All comments gratefully received and for anything that is at all helpful.

Thanks for reading,

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunt race for my finger flickin' flyin' fun.
See the posts in the Stunt Race entry for solutions to the 'cheesy styrofoam problem'. With the extra money (and time) use one of those fixes. If you don't want to mess with it, another First Expansion with its jumps and ramps would do nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I don't care much for the stunt expansion.

What you need is expansion 2, because it contains the 45 degree angle curves, for much more interesting tracks.

If I were you I'd get 2 expansion #2s, or 1 expansion #2 and one more base game.

Also, make sure you check out Pitchcar Track Builder, if you haven't yet. It lets you check off which expansions you own so you can make tracks with just those pieces. Might also help you in seeing what expansions you need to make some tracks you like...
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/32395/pitchcar-trackbuilde...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks guys - I think this gets to the crux of the matter. Both Exp. 2 and the Stunt Racer seem very expensive for the number of pieces, and I've read mixed reviews of the Stunt Racer pack. I'm not sure we really want another copy of the base game, but another copy of the first expansion is a definite possibility.

Thanks,

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just in case anyone is interested, in the end we went for a copy of the second expansion and a copy of the stunt car expansion. We like the idea of the 45 degree turns as we think this will add speed, and we went for the stunt car pack because space is often an issue and this should allow us to play on our table at home.

Thanks to everyone who read and especially those who took the time to comment.

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Murphy
Canada
Halifax
NS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank YOU for closing the loop and letting us know what you took home in the end. It's always nice to be able to see how the conversations end months (or years) later, if people need to dig up an old thread.

Have fun with the expansions!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so one final update:

The boxes arrived just before Christmas and we got one of those silver "flight cases" and spent a merry afternoon squeezing it all in. Our game group had a New Years Eve games party and as last year, out came PitchCar. Unusually, we had a 4-year old who had stayed up specially and he had a ball! We stuck to simpler tracks (on the extended table), but he loved it. A couple of days later, my other half and I used the Stunt Car expansion to create a much smaller track using about half the table un-extended table and had a lot of fun playing with the ramps. We found the styrene blocks a little unstable, so me may work on that, but the ramps are really good.

We are now arranging another games night with the students so we've ordered the straights... blush

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.