Joshua tymchyn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I recently purchased the new Agricola two-player variant and found its speed of play to be exactly the type of thing I was looking for. I then discovered that Le Havre had a two-player variant as well and it got me to wondering...are there any other variants such as these out there? Or just great two-player only games in general?

My family has been playing a number of games over the years, including Catan, Carcassonne, Puerto Rico, etc and we've been trying to split our group up into smaller pairs of two during a couple gatherings. However we would rather find games specifically designed and balanced for a total of two players, rather than playing the games we already have. Can anyone make some recommendations for us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivals for Catan, or, the original version, Catan Card Game. Same, same, but different - as they say in Vietnam. I don't like The Settlers of Catan, but I love Catan Card Game. I bought it a long time ago, so it's the version I know, not the Rivals new version.

Carcassonne: The Castle. I hesitate to even mention this one because I don't like it. But others do. It's the 2-player entry into the Carcassonne family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieren Medley
United States
Brady
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing that comes to mind as far as a two-player variant is Antike Duellum. It is definitely not for everyone, but one that I enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Zollinhofer
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Puerto Rico, San Juan is the 2 player card game which I really like.

Hive is a great 2 player game (but it's like Chess - so it is a bit more of a strategic game - no luck).

Jaipur, Balloon Cup, and Lost Cities are all good 2 player games as well...

Crokinole is also an awesome game, but it costs a lot, not just something you can easily grab at your FLGS...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you asking for games that play well with exactly 2? Or are you specifically after "little brother" games, as in Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small being the little brother of Agricola?

I'd say that Carcassonne plays best as a 2 player game, so no need to buy anything new

I will second the suggestions of Rivals for Catan and Lost Cities. I have not played the other games that have been suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua tymchyn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Krawhitham wrote:
Are you asking for games that play well with exactly 2? Or are you specifically after "little brother" games, as in Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small being the little brother of Agricola?

Either, or, honestly. I wasn't sure if the "little brother" variants were something new or have been around for a while, but I also wouldn't mind finding other games specifically designed for two players. I've found the majority of the games I already own to not be as much fun with just two players (even carcassonne).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete K
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
new reviews: Bargain Hunter, Sushi Go
mbmbmbmbmb
My go-to two-player game is Lost Cities. However, you can also check out the series of videos by Rahdo, who specializes in review two-player games, or games that play well with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wafflestomper wrote:
If you like Puerto Rico, San Juan is the 2 player card game which I really like. . . .
and Lost Cities are all good 2 player games as well...

San Juan (2004) is NOT a 2-player-only game. It is based on the board game Puerto Rico (2002), and it does play well with two. But it also plays well with 3 or 4.

You might say that Lost Cities (1999) is the 2-player version of Keltis (2008), or Lost Cities: The Board Game (2008). But the 2-player version is the original. The others came later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely check out the following geek lists

Best With 2
Recommended With 2

They will let you look at the highest ranked games that users have voted on to play best with 2, and recommended with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line
Haggis (it's 2-3 players, but the difference is not noticeable at all; basically plays pretty much the same.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaotic Ignorance wrote:
Krawhitham wrote:

I wasn't sure if the "little brother" variants were something new or have been around for a while

This is nit picking but... the word variant is often used on this site to mean "The exact same game, with different rules". This can either be a house rule, or an official variant (such as the 2 player rules for Alhambra.

Sadly, it does sometimes feel like the 2 player option is 'tacked on' so that the game appears to cater for a wider range of player numbers. It is rare that a game that offers 2 to many players is good with just 2 (co-ops being the most common exception to this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How has nobody mentioned Le Havre: The Inland Port yet?

Also, Ascension: Apprentice Edition came out recently. Doesn't quite fit because it uses the same rules and cards as big brother ascension, but is a smaller selection tuned for 2 players only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the OP referenced it, but did not use the full title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel is a 2p version of the board game The Pillars of the Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MP Szakos
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Famiglia,
Targi,
Rapa Nui,
& 1st & Goal.

+1 Jaipur, Lost Cities, Balloon Cup, San Juan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Martinson
United States
Mabank
Texas
flag msg tools
Ignore the masses and find your own truth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game to consider is Stone Age. My husband and I have played it with 4 players and with just the two of us and we feel the game is just as much fun with 2. It has a few changes to the rules for 2 players but they seem to work out so that it is balanced and just as much fun to play.

Other games we enjoy for just the 2 of us:
Jaipur
Jambo
Lost Cities: The Board Game
San Juan
Bananagrams
Monopoly Deal Card Game
Ingenious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:

I'd like to add another one to my earlier suggestion and that is Mr. Jack Pocket, a spin-off to Mr. Jack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Karl
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Just a quick update to this aging post: the game Patchwork has been extremely popular. I just tried it yesterday and then I bought it. It is a new two-player only game. And don't worry – it's not really about quilting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Van Landegem
Belgium
Louvain
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm flabbergasted nobody suggested 7 Wonders Duel yet, awesome game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaelan wrote:
I'm flabbergasted nobody suggested 7 Wonders Duel yet, awesome game!

Because the thread is over three years old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.