Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Good. If consenting human adults want to plural marry, I say more to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as we agree on our definition of "consenting adults".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastard, I was about to post this. For the love of Thumbs!

The main problem I have with this is that women should also have the ability to have four husbands as well! Don't think that will happen in Utah, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as everyone knows what they're getting themselves into I see no real problem with it. After all, from the point of view of the "state", a marriage is nothing more than a particular sort of contract. At least that's as it should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
"Religious cohabitation" -- looks like political correctness is older than we thought.

bjlillo wrote:
Hearkening back to the days before modern society went and screwed up traditional marriage

I agree, all these people seeking divorces really screwed up traditional marriage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, but in some states you can get thrown in jail for cheating on your spouse because you're in violation of your contract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gialmere wrote:
Ah, but in some states you can get thrown in jail for cheating on your spouse because you're in violation of your contract.

When did these states enact Sharia law?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gialmere wrote:

Bizzare. Where is it that breach of contract is illegal? Typically one pursues a breach of contract in a civil not criminal court.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm ... There appear to be twenty states with anti adultery laws--a criminal offense--that involve fines and/or jail time. Only the (no doubt very pissed off) injured spouse, however, can press charges on the matter on the grounds of breach of contract.

Here's part of a law from Arizona...

A. A married person who has sexual intercourse with another than his or her spouse, and an unmarried person who has sexual intercourse with a married person not his or her spouse, commits adultery and is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor. When the act is committed between parties only one of whom is married, both shall be punished.

B. No prosecution for adultery shall be commenced except upon complaint of the husband or wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Gialmere wrote:
Hmm ... There appear to be twenty states with anti adultery laws--a criminal offense--that involve fines and/or jail time. Only the (no doubt very pissed off) injured spouse, however, can press charges on the matter on the grounds of breach of contract.

Here's part of a law from Arizona...

A. A married person who has sexual intercourse with another than his or her spouse, and an unmarried person who has sexual intercourse with a married person not his or her spouse, commits adultery and is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor. When the act is committed between parties only one of whom is married, both shall be punished.

B. No prosecution for adultery shall be commenced except upon complaint of the husband or wife.

I tried to look up when the last person actually *charged* with Adultery was (weirdly enough it was in NY http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/woman-charged-adultery-challeng...).

Funnily, it's just article after article of people from various news sources being surprised that so many adultery statutes are still on the books. THere's this great sense of '...really? REALLY?' as you read them.

Edit: The actual case! THe most recent I can find is from 2010, and I think it only hit the news because the lady charged was cheating on a 'famous celebrity divorce lawyer'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just all goes to show, 'traditional marriage' is all a matter of culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there would be less of an uproar over polygamy if two issues were fixed:

1. Must be between consenting adults, not children.

2. The family must be responsible for providing for itself, not one husband, one wife, and 5 single 'other' wives collecting welfare benefits.

Personally, I'm not a fan of polygamy as it stands right now. But we knew there'd be more of a focus on legalizing and accepting it when gay marriage started making progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
Bastard, I was about to post this. For the love of Thumbs!

The main problem I have with this is that women should also have the ability to have four husbands as well! Don't think that will happen in Utah, however.

Perhaps both men and women should have the ability to have four husbands- what's Utah's position on same sex marriage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Make them pool income the way a husband and wife normally do. Then each is entitled to an equal share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Make them pool income the way a husband and wife normally do. Then each is entitled to an equal share.

I wonder how they'd handle it if one wife decided to get a divorce. Is she entitled to alimony/child support based on the husband's income (take for example, the man has 5 wives, 20 kids, is it fair to take half his income and starve 4 other families?), or based on the income of the other wives as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to pick nits, but this is about the state criminalizing cohabitation, not about marriage...yet.

It's more analogous to the courts striking down anti-sodomy laws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Traditional marriage? So we're going back to our families arranging them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The libs are squirming on this one. They want to like it, but it a freedom of religion case, not an anti-religious ruling. That's a quandary for intellectually dishonest people. laugh

Up until a couple of years ago, Mormons excluded black people from their religion, so I guess establishing Jim Crow laws in Utah would also count as a freedom of religion case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The libs are squirming on this one. They want to like it, but it a freedom of religion case, not an anti-religious ruling. That's a quandary for intellectually dishonest people. laugh

Apparently, you are confused about the difference between "accepting" and "denying". Yeah, there isn't any dishonesty here.

I'm accepting of Christian marriage, polygamy marriage, and gay marraige.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
The libs are squirming on this one. They want to like it, but it a freedom of religion case, not an anti-religious ruling. That's a quandary for intellectually dishonest people. :laugh:

Apparently, you are confused about the difference between "accepting" and "denying". Yeah, there isn't any dishonesty here.

I'm accepting of Christian marriage, polygamy marriage, and gay marraige.

That's the fun of the thread, BJ seems to think it was gonna be this huge "GOTCHA!" moment, and everyones like 'right on!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Not to pick nits, but this is about the state criminalizing cohabitation, not about marriage...yet.

It's more analogous to the courts striking down anti-sodomy laws.

This is where I came out reading this. Criminalization of sexual relations has been on its way out for a long time. I don't think it's really a nit-pick to point it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Up until a couple of years ago, Mormons excluded black people from their religion, so I guess establishing Jim Crow laws in Utah would also count as a freedom of religion case.

Actually, the Mormon church has never excluded black people from the religion, so that probably wouldn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I was expecting no such gotcha moment. I just wanted to make a joke about traditional marriage since this isn't the tradition that people using the vernacular of the day refer to when they say that. Come on now.

Though, I suspect you got a lot of yawns and people moving on, not knowing the case you were referring to. If I hadn't just seen an article on this case, I would have passed this thread. I nearly did. Lucky you!

I think (in my Boxcars-muddled state) that the lesson here is that the Bill of Rights, has it right. If marriage had been left a purely religious, non-governmental institution, we wouldn't have had an annoying amount of time wasted by government (and various electorates) trying to decide what marriage is or is not, presumably religious groups would be happy because it could mean exactly what they wanted it to mean (naive, I know!)--and a marriage tax would be an impossibility, since government couldn't take notice of a religious status.

I will resist mentioning that our almost-Euro Founding Fathers had it right, while our current wrong-headed AT politicians continue to write themselves into writing longer and longer chrome rules.
Well, I guess I won't. Where's B when you need him? laugh
(If someone doesn't get the above, no worries: just random snarkage.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can people please stop saying things like, "if marriage had been left a purely religious, non-governmental institution" as though that had ever been the case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Can people please stop saying things like, "if marriage had been left a purely religious, non-governmental institution" as though that had ever been the case?

Seems like the beef there is 'had been left', how do you feel about 'was made?' I admit I'm partial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.