Popular Tags: [View All]
Javier murillo
Spain
madrid
madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi guys,

We are playing the full campaign game and as the axis we have played a strategy of not attacking france.

We understand the short 4 month 1939 attack on poland SCENARIO implies France is part of the allies and thus at war with the axis, but when playing the full campaign game, France is not at war with Germany.

We as the axis have played by not attacking france at all. The UK has declared war on us and then the soviet union (after due prerequisites), so now we are playing a game where the french-german border is empty, germany is launching invasions on the UK (unsuccessful so far), and the soviet-german border is roaring with intense fighting.

The allied/soviet players are complaining that there is something wrong and that it makes no sense that france remains neutral (there is no DE that allows for France to directly declare war on Germany)

Are we doing anything wrong? Have we missed some crucial rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lags
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no rule I can find (implied or otherwise) that states France is neutral?

The only major power that is neutral at start is soviet union.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p. 69
1939: ASSAULT ON POLAND
AXIS Germany: includes Austria and East Prussia, and controls Czechoslovakia. The Axis is at war with the ALLIES.

ALLIES Britain: controls Gibraltar, Malta, Egypt, Sudan, Palestine, Afghanistan, India, Aden, Kenya, and South Africa. France: includes Corsica. Controls Morocco, West Africa, Algeria, and Tunisia. Poland: excludes Danzig (see below). Allied Naval Supremacy is in effect.

NEUTRALS Soviet Union: The Allied/Soviet side sets up and plays the Soviet Union. See the Soviet Union neutrality rules (20.51). 1939 Finnish Borders are in effect. Baltic States (Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia) are unarmed neutral countries. Under the Molotov Pact (see #2 below), Axis forces cannot enter their territory without a Declaration of War upon the Soviet Union. All other powers are also neutral (none are Cooperating).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier murillo
Spain
madrid
madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We are playing the full campaign game, not the 1939 assault on poland scenario.

I do not think the game rules are clear on France being at war or not. I understand germany would have to declare war on France, right?

Or should we understand France is already at war and can even attack German territory without Germany having attacked France first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Craig never believes in saying the same thing twice, so your answer is in rule 3.11, and is not repeated:

3.11 The Campaign Games
The full EuroFront 1939-1945 Campaign Game starts with the 1939 Scenario and ends after May 1945.

As you correctly noted, the 1939 Scenario does state France is belligerent, and thus they are at war in the Campaign Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
tashiro wrote:
...Or should we understand France is already at war and can even attack German territory without Germany having attacked France first?

Historically, this is what actually happened. France made an eight-mile deep incursion into Germany and then, as per their WWI doctrine, dug in.

This sums up the differences in doctrine between France and Germany where the former is content with overrunning a couple of fields and the latter will only be satisfied when they have overrun a couple of countries.

Fascinating game.

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier murillo
Spain
madrid
madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks so much guys. All looks clearer now :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an interesting ploy the Allies can take in Sep39: attack Saarbrucken. If the German West defense is spread to include the Belgium and Holland borders (new players beware!), the French can get 3 units, admittedly SF, into that hex. It can sure embarrass the German. As German, I always put the fort there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.