BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Christmas Game Idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan B

Minnesota
msg tools
mb
I need a game for 3 - 8 players. It needs to be in the realm of light to medium.

While some of the family members like more advanced games, gateway games have been the most popular. The "take that", screw you over, alliance and enemy kind of games tend to be more popular. Party games are ok, but only used when there is nothing else to play.

Successful games:

Dominion
Catan
Carassonne
Alhambra

Games NOT successful:

Ticket to ride
7 Wonders

Thanks! and Happy Holidays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Shadow Hunters and Bohnanza for some semi-confrontational semi-cooperative games that can handle larger game groups.

Those two have been very successful in my gatherings with gamer and non-gamer mixed groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit: Odyssey doesn't fit the criteria you've listed but it is a fun, light game for 3 to 12 players (plays much better with 4+).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur
I would say 5+ is best

Telestrations / Eat Poop You Cat
The larger the group the better. No conflict, no winners, just fun for families (and anybody).

Mascarade
Has a lot of the screw you in it and works with a varying number of players.

+ 1 for Bohnanza
Shadow Hunters I personally did not have success with my family, although it works for a lot of other groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Survive: Escape from Atlantis! would fit the bill for a light, fun take that game. Will only go up to 6 with the expansion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fearsome Floors sounds like it would hit on all cylinders for you.

Also maybe Letters from Whitechapel, if you think they might enjoy deduction games.

Lastly, check out Small World if you haven't already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For that many players that enjoy being devious, think resistance Avalon is a no brainer. Also, you'd have to fork over for the expansions, but Cosmic Encounter would be absolutely perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely try out Condottiere.
I think better try the old version, first (haven't played the new version yet, but not everyone think's it's better, yet it is a little more complicated). You can play old version with new edition just by sorting soem cards out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.