Nicholas Korpelainen
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suppose that a player makes a mistake in calculating his potential score after revealing his identity, and there are not enough VP to trigger the end, post-adjusting the VP track. So... oops, he should not have revealed his identity.

What happens then? Does the game just continue with the revealed information available? Or is the game broken and must be aborted? This was instantly on my mind when reading the conditions for the action. It assumes rather much in terms of infallibility of human players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it has to be continue with the player having handicapped himself by revealing who he is. To abort the game would be both highly unsatisfactory, and allow gamesmanship of the worst sort.

Of course sometimes it might be advantageous to have your identity known. In which case c'est la vie. It's going to be rare enough I think to not worry about it. But if players were to abuse the game and deliberately reveal identity when to their advantage, I suggest the Love Letter approach to the matter.

(Love Letter has one of the all time great rules. Cheating is possible - actually it's possible to make it impossible, but no one I know does that. The rules to prevent cheating? Don't play with people who cheat.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I accidentally did this in our first play without a tutor, it turned out I was 1 point short, sadly everyone else revealed their loyalties at the same time as me, thinking the game was over. So my advice would be to inform everyone not to do this, in case the player taking the action comes up short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asterisk game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is just a points difference then I would probably end the game anyways. Things overall get kinda spoiled since you can figure out what the others have to be.

Still the question has no good answer, its like asking "What If there is a flood, should we call the game a draw, or keep playing and hope the game does not get wet", It has got nothing to do with the game rules, and the decision can't be definite except in specific situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Korpelainen
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's more like having a video game with a game ending bug if the player accidentally explores an area which wasn't intended to be seen... And then make it relatively easy to access this area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamás Fekete
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
I think it has to be continue with the player having handicapped himself by revealing who he is. To abort the game would be both highly unsatisfactory, and allow gamesmanship of the worst sort.

Of course sometimes it might be advantageous to have your identity known. In which case c'est la vie. It's going to be rare enough I think to not worry about it.

To tell the truth, as this move can be a game changer, I would punish the mistaking player with closing out from the winners (as if he is at the loser side).

It sounds harsh and strict, and I believe the most cases would be accidental/miscalculating, not for cheat purposes (I have really never ever met a cheater in boardgames), but still it affects the game end deeply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Offer his corpse to Cthulhu and start a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Czechfan wrote:

That will be highly unsatisfactory to the other players at the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aquir wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

Of course sometimes it might be advantageous to have your identity known. In which case c'est la vie. It's going to be rare enough I think to not worry about it.

To tell the truth, as this move can be a game changer, I would punish the mistaking player with closing out from the winners (as if he is at the loser side).

It sounds harsh and strict, and I believe the most cases would be accidental/miscalculating, not for cheat purposes (I have really never ever met a cheater in boardgames), but still it affects the game end deeply.

It sounds not so much harsh and strict as a bad idea. A player in a game with nothing to play for is bad for pretty much any game, and doubly so in a game like this.

But if someone is running the World Study in Emerald Championship, sure you may want to do something. But in a normal game? Just the scornful comments about messing it up (not the game, the action) will usually do as punishment enough.

As for cheating, I recommend Love Letter's approach. (You can cheat. Actually I could fix that, but the rules don't. They have the enormously superior solution: Don't play with people who cheat.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
Czechfan wrote:

That will be highly unsatisfactory to the other players at the table.

Only to the Restorationists. The Loyalists won't mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I do not have a fix for this situation, except to play on. If a player repeatedly used this tactic then you could ask him to stop cheating. Eliminating a player for such a mistake would be too harsh a penalty. It is also a situation that did not crop up during playtesting, so should be a rare event.

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.