Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, this post should be in http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/8/boardgamegeek/recommend.... You will know for next time

Now, onto the suggestions/ideas:

Have you heard of the Youtube show, Tabletop? They have played a good range of light and medium weight games. http://geekandsundry.com/shows/tabletop/

Do you have the option of joining a local gaming group? Trying other peoples games will give you a much better idea of what you like.

Of the games you have played, what are your favourites? What is it about a game that you like? Are there games you have disliked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think by posting here you're probably outside the realm of 'casual' gaming by a bit, plus the fact that you play Dungeon Twister (great game! ) and Agricola All Creatures ... but I digress.

I'd take a look at some of the following games. I think they're relatively easy to play and offer a lot of game without going too high on complexity:

Pandemic
Hanabi
7 Wonders
Stone Age

If you'd like to stretch yourself just a little in terms of complexity but not too much, these two would be good: The Castles of Burgundy, Bruges

And finally, if you haven't played it, Catan is still a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Mage Knight, watch Ricky Royal's playthroughs so you get a sense of what the game is like. I would also recommend Eldritch Horror over Arkham Horror as EH has been streamlined, which will help a casual gamer out. If you want a big epic game, I would look at Clash of Cultures. The manual is like half the size of Eclipse's and has a play time that's sane so you will get many more plays out of it compared to TI3. F&G tells a decent story and it is very much in the mold of an old school game, but I didn't find it all that streamlined and the downtime could be bad with higher numbers. Merchants and Marauders gives the sense of a story but in a better package. You'll need to house rule how port actions are done to keep downtime in check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Those sure are pretty hardcore heavy games with very long playtimes and long rulebooks.

Of your list I'd start with Small World, it's very fun light-hearted wargame for casual gamers and there are bunch of expansions you can get, so you'll get loads of fun from one game without learning/teaching that much rules.

Personally I hate Zombicide but if you're into those types of games, that's probably one of the best choices too.

Outside your list I think you'd enjoy Mice and Mystics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Mitchell-Dolby
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
RDEtherton wrote:
I've looked into Mage Knight, Twilight Imperium, Arkham Horror (etc) and think they all look superb, but am worried that these games are too complicated for me and take far too long to complete.

You have gone from one extreme to another there, won't be too difficult to find about a million games lower than TI3 on the complexity scale, haha.

Personally I think that if you are even thinking about playing these games you're probably ready for most anything. Maybe not jump straight in at the deep end but find something you like the sound of and go for it, wouldn't worry too much, especially if you're okay with Touch of Evil. Speaking of which if you like Touch of Evil and already have it I would personally recommend the expansions. I have all of them and I love 'em, they add a tonne to the game. I'd maybe choose A Touch of Evil: The Coast over A Touch of Evil: Something Wicked Expansion but it's much of a muchness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Voorhees
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Zombicide, Last Night on Earth and Mice and Mystics would be an amazing start to more challenge. Not too difficult and tons of theme. Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.