Subject: My first DC Deckbuilding Tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ramirez

Seymour
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played in my first DC Deckbuilding tourney today and ended up winning it. Several things happened that did make me scratch my head though. First off they ran it with all 12 Super Villains in play. I honestly prefer 8. I feel that 8 keeps the game balanced. I tried to talk to the owner of the store who was also playing in the tournament into only having 8 Super Villains but I just ended up rubbing him the wrong way and he got an attitude.
Which brings me to my next point. The organization of the tournament wasn't very good. Things that should have been clear weren't and I kind of made myself look like a dick. The owner of the store printed off the Cryptozoic recommendation for how to run the tournament and the paper said it was going to be 3 rounds with the top three players of each game scoring points. And whoever has the highest score after the third round is the winner. Going into the third round he mentioned something about a fourth round with the top for scorers playing for the top prize. I was openly against this because it didn't seem fair. As a poker player it just seemed wrong that out of a 16 man tournament 4 people had their hand in the prize pool. So I called him on it.
This store is a nice store and honestly even though I bumped heads with the owner. I feel he and his wife are really good people that provide and awesome resource for gamers. I started to think that maybe that's just how these tournaments are run. My gaming group is very competitive with this game and playing against the other players I noticed that most players had no idea of what to buy or what anyone else had bought for that matter. It just seemed pretty casual. I was expecting more structure.
Another awkward thing about this was catching a cheater. I knew this guy was cheating but how do you go about proving it. He played 3 Suicide Squads on us twice. Now I have played this game over 200 times and haven't seen this happen ever. My buddy also caught him when he was playing at the same table during a different round. Neither of us said anything but if he had done better I think I would have.
All in all I had a lot of fun. Especially since I won, I guess. lol I am looking forward to more tournaments. That's for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's crazy about cheating in a tourney. I wish you would have caught him.

I am like you though, I have played the game 100+ times and not once have I even seen the SS power pulled off.

As for the 12 Villains, that is also a head scratcher. Was there any official rules from Crypto about how to run a tourney? I would really agree that 12 Villains makes it WAY too imbalanced with a run away leader. Not only that it makes it take a ton more time altogether.

I played in a big DC DBG tourney at Gen Con and they did 3 or 4 rounds, ranked everyone by points based on 1,2,3rd finishes (There was un-even # of players I finished 1st of 23), and then we had a final table of the final 4. (FWIW I had quite possibly the worst luck/game I have ever seen in that one and lost--frustrating that you finish 1st of 23 and lose at final table... Even MORE frustrating was that Crypto gave us nothing for playing and NOTHING for getting to the final table. All they had was a play mat for the winner. At $10 or whatever we payed they could have at least given the final table a play mat or have a promo made up for Gen Con... a Great company IMO but they really dropped the ball on that one.... /end rant sorry bout that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Hal Jordan. You payed $10 to enter the tournament and there was no prize pool???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope just a play mat for the winner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ramirez

Seymour
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is pretty weak of Cryptozoic to just give the winner a playmat and nothing else for everyone else.

Yeah, in retrospect the whole 12 Super Villains thing only benefited me because I was so far ahead of most of the other players in the tournament skill wise. Only me and the 4 other guys I came to the tourney with were actually keeping track of what everyone else was buying during the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumpygunz wrote:
That is pretty weak of Cryptozoic to just give the winner a playmat and nothing else for everyone else.

Agreed. But, hey, at least Cryptozoic made $230!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I was real on the fence. I have always loved the company and the people who represent them, but I was real annoyed to play this thing for hours get as far as I did, and have nothing to show for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Davis
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been in a tourney, & haven't played near 100 games, but lightning can strike, even twice. To wit:

1st time I experienced the 3x Suicide Squad, another player & I were the victims.

2nd time I experienced the 3x Suicide Squad, I did it to my opponent...& twice in 3 turns, no less.

surprise surprise surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Rohr
msg tools
SS isnt terribly hard to get if you opponent leaves you to get bat signals and Zattanas. Granted there are better uses for the two, but if you just want to go for the discards it can be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chaulklin
United States
hartland
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in that tournament, and I actually completely disagree with allmof your observations. Me and my group were just as good as yours and 2 of my group were in the top 4. The only reason the 4th round wasnt played was because you threw a fit. And that was announced after round 1 that there wasgoing to be a final sshowdown.your observation of only your group paying attention to what others bought is a little douchey because how do you know that, your not in their heads. Truthfully there should have been a 4th roun,winning a tourney on points alone makes no sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Mchaulklin wrote:
And that was announced after round 1 that there wasgoing to be a final sshowdown.

But did the advance advertising and/or "standard" Cryptozoic tournament rules say that it would only be three rounds?

Folks potentially driving dozens/hundreds of miles for an advertised event, and finding a relatively major change in the structure, arguably have a right to be upset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.