Subject: Conquest and Combat variant rules for AH first edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CONQUEST: Even after centurys, we still can admire such monuments like the Pyramides, the Roman Coliseum, the Aztec Temples, etc. The same is true for long standing cities (Roma, Baghdad, City of Mexico, Barcelona). Not always conquest mean destruction. This is the variant proposal: When you conquest a land with Capital, City or monument, roll 1 D in the folowing table:
CAPITAL: 1-2= Destroyed.
3-5= City
6= Remains Capital.

CITY: 1-3= Destroyed.
4-6= No effect.

MONUMENT: 1-2= Destroyed
3-6= No effect.

Die Roll Modifiers: -1 Siege event in effect.
-1 Barbarians event in effect.
-1 Conqueror is Nomad.

COMBAT: War against older empires usually gives advantage to the newer civilizations (new tactics, superior technology, more moral, etc), so in combat against older civilizations, the attacker wins the ties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first place monuments get built is at a capital. The monument remains after the capital is gone. I believe this is simulating what you are trying to simulate with the die rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but i also wanted to reflect when the capital is destroyed and with his monumentums. I'm thinking in Assur, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichols
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the latest edition of History of the World (Ragnar Brothers' Brief History), a monument is destroyed if it is the only structure in a conquered land. I think that's a more elegant way to simulate the destruction of monuments in first-edition HotW, unless you like rolling dice (in which case your variant makes sense.)

There are actually rather few cities in the world that have lasted as long as a couple of HoTW epochs (approximately 1000 years), and most of the "real world's" wonders and monuments have short lifespans too. Think of the so-called "New Seven Wonders of the World": the Colosseum and Macchu Picchu are ruins, most of the Great Wall of China is decrepit, Chichen Itza and Petra have seen better days. The Taj Mahal is in good shape but it was built at the end of Epoch VI.

I have spent entirely too much time playing this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't kmow the last edition rules, sorry. And my first intention was to give some random "chance" to the monuments and cities survival.
About your second sentence it's true most monuments are in ruins,but others not, and the same is true for cities like Roma or my home city.
But remember, it's only a possible variant, i don't want to "redesign" the game. In fact is a very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original AH rules and it states that monuments are only destroyed by play of event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:
I have the original AH rules and it states that monuments are only destroyed by play of event cards.

Likewise for the 2001 edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.