17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Card Game for 8 Yr Old Boy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Brown
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi, I am looking at getting a card game for my son. I used to play MTG years ago and wanted a similar game preferably without the collecting angle. He has not really played many games so I would like something accessible introducing ideas of strategy, resource management etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mckail
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matt. I would like to suggest to you any of the following: Munchkin, Smash Up or King of Tokyo. Munchkin in particular as the rules are very easy to learn, and the card art is nice, simple, comical and enjoyable for kids/adults alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
ausbrown wrote:
Hi, I am looking at getting a card game for my son. I used to play MTG years ago and wanted a similar game preferably without the collecting angle. He has not really played many games so I would like something accessible introducing ideas of strategy, resource management etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Archaeology: The Card Game
Call to Glory
Jambo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash Up might fit the bill as a competitive game using a deck with different strategies, combos and management.

Summoner Wars (in one of its forms) could be another idea, but it's very different in play from other card games. It does require strategic thinking and resource management though.

You might want to think about a deckbuilder game too. The obvious to claim is Dominion, but there are a variety of others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son will be 8 next month, and he thought Munchkin was too long and Smash Up too hard. King of Tokyo is a HUGE hit, but it's really more of a dice game than a card game. I would think Jambo and Summoner Wars would be too hard for my son just yet too - to be clear, my son loves games and we play a lot of them, but he does want to keep them short & not overly complex. He does like Dominion, but it's clear he doesn't understand all the card interactions and strategies yet.

His favorite card game is a game very similar to Dominion but easier to grasp, Ascension, of which there is a cheap two player intro version. You can pick up the intro version for about $10, I think. If he likes it, there are a boatload of expansions. We do make it a little shorter by playing to about half the amount of victory points suggested in the rules, but other than that, we play by all the rules and he understands the game play very well.

He hasn't played it yet, but for Christmas my son is getting DC Comics Deck-Building Game, which is very similar to Ascension in a lot of ways. I think we will probably have to alter the rules a bit like we do for Ascension & fight fewer super-villains to make it a little shorter, but if your son like superheroes and gets into Ascension or any other similar game, I would definitely check that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play munchkin with my son when he was around that age, almost daily. It kept things lite and was a good spring board into other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dwyer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice card game for my kids when they were that age was GUBS: A Game of Wit and Luck, which has the beginning elements of planning and strategy with a very friendly theme. It can be a bit random, but that works with this age group, it plays in 15-20 minutes, and it introduces the idea of interactive card effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bone
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 year old is nuts for Pokemon and I was shocked to learn that the Pokemon card game isn't bad at all. It meets your criteria of resource management and reminded me of playing Magic (20! years ago). There is the collecting angle, but you can avoid the madness by buying a "trainer's kit" or a couple preconstructed decks and avoid researching the hot cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 King of Tokyo
+1 Summoner Wars

I play King Of Tokyo with 4 12 year old autistic kids at the school I work at. It is a massive hit. Better than heroscape to them. Dice rolling, iconography, cards, monsters...you can not go wrong.

Summoner Wars will be harder in some ways, but still a good fit.

Could also look at a deck builder. Thunderstone might be hard but it could be worth looking in to.

He'll, even 7 Wonders would be good. Simple icons, card drafting and lots of history to boot.

Good luck to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the reason you don't want Magic: The Gathering is the cost of the cards, then maybe try "Penny Magic". I bought 2000 cards for something like $29.

The game itself is still well designed and plenty fun as is the deck building. And penny magic is not expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbone2112 wrote:
My 8 year old is nuts for Pokemon and I was shocked to learn that the Pokemon card game isn't bad at all. It meets your criteria of resource management and reminded me of playing Magic (20! years ago). There is the collecting angle, but you can avoid the madness by buying a "trainer's kit" or a couple preconstructed decks and avoid researching the hot cards.

This. My 8 year old plays other euro style games with me, but this is the game he dreams of when we aren't playing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renee Thorson
United States
Albert Lea
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 year old son's favorite card game would be Dominion. A non collectible deck building game with tons of expansions. plays in about 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Cash
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 yr old loves Smash Up, Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin, and Ascension: Deckbuilding Game. We are also awaiting the release of IncrediBrawl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Henley
United States
Hopkinton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
When you mentioned a CCG-style game without the collectibility, it immediately put me in mind of Sirlin Games. I'm a fan of Yomi, but Flash Duel would be more appropriate for an 8-year-old. It is a riff on En Garde with special player powers.

But really, you have a huge range of options. You may want to narrow the range by the themes that interest your son: science fiction, fantasy, pirates, etc.

Some options include:
Loot
Scallywags
Coloretto/Zooloretto Junior
Bohnanza Fun & Easy
6 nimmt! Junior
Café International Junior
Battle Line
Crazy Creatures of Dr. Doom
Numbers League: Adventures in Addiplication

If you don't mind card-driven board games, there is the excellent space-themed, pick-up-and-deliver game Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League. The designer has posted simplified rules for 6 and up, so there's an easy on-ramp to the game.

In the area-control genre, there is Eight-Minute Empire.

For giant monsters, +1 King of Tokyo; although, that is primarily a dice game.

For sheer value, there are excellent books containing games that use regular playing cards, in particular A Gamut of Games and Blazing Aces! A Fistful of Family Card Games.

Also, The Dice Tower podcast recently covered games for children 8 and under (episode 329), some of which were card games, and you may find inspiration there.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Brown
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks heaps for the suggestions. To add, the themes I think might be good are dinosaur, pirates and some fantasy. I have looked at the suggestions and found a few that seem great:

Archeology
Smashup
Ascension
Summoner Wars
King of Tokyo and Munchkin

are on the list. Now for the really hard part, finding them in Australia without bleeding through the nose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Milsims Games (Melbourne based store, online store).
Ascension Apprentice Edition is only $12, Smash Up is $36.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
skr8cash wrote:
My 8 yr old loves Smash Up, Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin, and Ascension: Deckbuilding Game. We are also awaiting the release of IncrediBrawl.

+1 for IncrediBrawl My son and I enjoyed the PnP and are eagerly awaiting the final version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.