Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Fuentes
United States
Long Island City Apt 3G
New York
flag msg tools
Hello All,

So the wife is into competitive games that include dice, cards, light strategy and destruction. Building armies and sending them forward but not too time-consuming or too much reading.

Next on our list to try is Warhammer: Invasion.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders (no direct combat and destruction per se, no dice)
Small World (no cards)
X-Wing (no cards)
Seasons (cards! Dice! Light strategy! Not a lot of destruction but you can lock out opponents)
Magic (dice usage is low)

These might fit your bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I recommend the command and colors line. These are light to medium light strategy games with troop movements, dice rolls and destruction. Just pick your genre;

Battle Cry (civil war)
Memoir '44 (WWII)
Battlelore (fantasy... Recently reprinted)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Gkitnnek wrote:
Hello All,

So the wife is into competitive games that include dice, cards, light strategy and destruction. Building armies and sending them forward but not too time-consuming or too much reading.

Next on our list to try is Warhammer: Invasion.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Rune Age maybe. It is the first thing that came to mind while reading your description.

Another (maybe better?) one could be Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game. No army, but football-like (American football) teams, that is almost the same thing. No permanent destruction but you can injure your opponent's players.

(Both games use a deckbuilding mechanic, but neither is a deckbuilding game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Blood Bowl: Team Manager

In addition to Memoir 44, you could look at Commands & Colors: Ancients. Both games do the same thing, with different time periods being covered. There's also one on the Civil War, I believe, and a couple others.

Also perhaps Small World with the added cards from Small World: Tales and Legends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I might try out 1775:Rebellion as it checks several of your boxes.

Awesome dice for battle results, cards for movement and events, strategy in gathering units and moving them, and not a large amount of reading.

Definitely a fun one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Fuentes
United States
Long Island City Apt 3G
New York
flag msg tools
Was thinking Hive before but neither of us can do bugs.

Blood Bowl seems fun and not sure if she would dig the military stuff.

We do have Small World but not Tales and Legends. I usually don't get the expansions unless she likes the game (City of Thieves + King of Ashes is one example).

How is Battlelore? I was looking into that one too and also Mage Wars and SDE.

Still trying to get her into the hobby, almost had her reading a rulebook the other day.

Thank you all again for the responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Arena: Roma II for a light 2p. It has dice and you buy cards to set opposite each other. If you are clever/lucky you can blow up the other player's stuff. Quick game, I consider it a gateway game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation (2-4) around an hour - a card game with direct interaction, and plenty of different kinds to take-that. It's also chaotic enough that you have a different game every time.

Core Worlds (2-5) around 75min with 2 - draft troops, deploy them, then invade worlds. No direct attacking of the other player(s), but the indirect interaction can be really fierce for the best cards and worlds. (Even greater game with the expansion Core Worlds: Galactic Orders.)

Carcassonne can also be pretty brutal when played competitively (even 2p), especially with Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals and Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders.

You already mentioned Small World / Small World Underground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Byrd
United States
Ocean Grove
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this game, but I think Memoir '44 is what you are looking for. Cards, Dice, Armies, attacking, quickish play and set up.

Summoner Wars might also be worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.