Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does one search for word phrases in forum keyword searches like "green cards" that only returns postings with these two words right next to each other?

When I enclose a search phrase between quotes (as in Goggle searches) I expect to find only hits that contain that particular phrase, but in BGG I get instead hit results that contain the individual words "green" and "cards" but not necessarily hits that have these two words adjacent to each other. This can be very frustrating especially if you get pages and pages of hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Explosive 6
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Don't know how to do it on the BGG site but you can just use Google to do a site search.

Just put site:http://boardgamegeek.com/ "green cards" in the google search box for example. I find google does a better job searching a site than most sites in built search function so I use it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem I have with Goggle in supplanting the forum discussion threads is that even when I search on a very specific set of words like:

"green cards" coloretto forum boardgamegeek

I still get over 400 hits. It would be so much easier to scan the results directly on BGG's searching engine and just focus on what the BGG community is sharing.

(Using your selection of words plus "coloretto" in Google returned over 500 hits).

Alex

P.S. For those wondering why on earth I was searching for "green cards" in Coloretto, it is because in the rule set Michael refers to 3 additional green cards for the 2-player variant. In my game copy, no such cards exists. I therefore spent a good hour researching this problem until I learned that these cards were only offered as a promotional expansion item. I had no idea why my set didn't include these "green cards". A better search engine on BGG would have answered this question much sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.