Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
... playing Phoenix Elves vs Thundra Orcs on iPad. I've played several games. I've played a lot of CCG/LCG and board/videos games, so I know the drill. Still, I just cannot figure out how to do this. The amount of HP that the Orc summoner has is staggering. I can even get the game state to CPU having only him and me having like 3-4 units, still, I can't kill him, only cripple a bit before he rolls all 4 hits.

It makes the game horribly frustrating. Are these two factions balanced against each other? How to win here? Using far rangers? Or that champion that can hit through the wall? Jesus, this game is literally killing me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are balanced. If you are trying to be overly offensive (always on the attack) with the Phoenix Elves, try playing a more defensive strategy. Slow it down, draw them out and wait for them to come to you.

Each faction plays best a certain way. Part of the fun of this game is learning their characteristics and how to wield them effectively. Eventually you'll find which ones fit best for your playing style.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Do champion play. Save your magic to bring Maelena and the Fire Drake. Build Magic with you commons and a Hero is Born. Only summon commons when you absolutely need to and, if so, favor summoning Warriors. Beware of Orc Fighters, they can be dangerous to Ellien if they get lucky. Spirit of the Phoenix can be of great help to take down Grognack or Orc Champions. Know that a lot of Magic may need to be wasted to unfreeze Ellien, multiple times.

If you can do a little deck building. Dump all the Guardians (except for the one on the initial set up).

If you have reinforcements, dump Kaessel for Laeleya. But, the starter deck is able to consistently beat the Orc AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you are trying to be overly offensive (always on the attack) with the Phoenix Elves, try playing a more defensive strategy. Slow it down, draw them out and wait for them to come to you.

Check.

Quote:
Do champion play. Save your magic to bring Maelena and the Fire Drake.

Check.

Quote:
Build Magic with you commons and a Hero is Born. Only summon commons when you absolutely need to and, if so, favor summoning Warriors.

Check.

Quote:
Beware of Orc Fighters, they can be dangerous to Ellien if they get lucky.

Not really a problem so far.

Quote:
Know that a lot of Magic may need to be wasted to unfreeze Ellien, multiple times.

Check, not a problem also.

Quote:

If you can do a little deck building (...) If you have reinforcements, dump Kaessel for Laeleya

Don't want to deckbuild at this point, need to understand the balance first.

Quote:

But, the starter deck is able to consistently beat the Orc AI.

Not in my experience AT ALL. I'm doing everything you've pointed out. Maybe this game is not for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I agree, you should learn to beat them with the stock deck, these factions are balanced when playing with the real thing, so playing with an AI is just a matter of figuring out the weakness, I suggest you try playing more ranged attacks, try ignoring one side of the board and focus on the other, that app. is made for the phone so the program has to be small, its using a lot of little algorithms to make it choices, just switch it up and remember sacrifice is necessary so expect to lose units and plan your moves around losses, planning on losses is key.

I hope that helps, let me know if my words bring a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Quote:
If you are trying to be overly offensive (always on the attack) with the Phoenix Elves, try playing a more defensive strategy. Slow it down, draw them out and wait for them to come to you.

Check.

Quote:
Do champion play. Save your magic to bring Maelena and the Fire Drake.

Check.

Quote:
Build Magic with you commons and a Hero is Born. Only summon commons when you absolutely need to and, if so, favor summoning Warriors.

Check.

Quote:
Beware of Orc Fighters, they can be dangerous to Ellien if they get lucky.

Not really a problem so far.

Quote:
Know that a lot of Magic may need to be wasted to unfreeze Ellien, multiple times.

Check, not a problem also.

Quote:

If you can do a little deck building (...) If you have reinforcements, dump Kaessel for Laeleya

Don't want to deckbuild at this point, need to understand the balance first.

Quote:

But, the starter deck is able to consistently beat the Orc AI.

Not in my experience AT ALL. I'm doing everything you've pointed out. Maybe this game is not for me.

Just for the record, I played starter deck vs starter deck before my first reply and won without a sweat. There must be a detail missed in translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ratkin - Do you win consistently when you play TO?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried TO yet. The question wasn't really about balance, but rather about a general strategy against TO when playing PE.

But, yup, I've finally won, funny enough, using my own proposed strategy from first post. They key was to have 2-3 archers in the lategame, to shoot at Grognack without taking much risk. I've comboed it with that fire drake (forgot the name), that has this special ability, which can damage from behind the wall.

That said, it's a little bit concerning. Grognack is so strong that even if you manage to kill everything else, it's hard to approach him and attack in consistent manner using melee. The use of Archers is almost a must here. It sort of looks to me like each faction is one-trick pony in this game. Given the very limited amount of cards, once you solve the puzzle, it's done. I'm getting a physical version as a xmas gift for my brother - we'll play it a bit more to figure out the tactical depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
I haven't tried TO yet. The question wasn't really about balance, but rather about a general strategy against TO when playing PE.

But, yup, I've finally won, funny enough, using my own proposed strategy from first post. They key was to have 2-3 archers in the lategame, to shoot at Grognack without taking much risk. I've comboed it with that fire drake (forgot the name), that has this special ability, which can damage from behind the wall.

That said, it's a little bit concerning. Grognack is so strong that even if you manage to kill everything else, it's hard to approach him and attack in consistent manner using melee. The use of Archers is almost a must here. It sort of looks to me like each faction is one-trick pony in this game. Given the very limited amount of cards, once you solve the puzzle, it's done. I'm getting a physical version as a xmas gift for my brother - we'll play it a bit more to figure out the tactical depth.

Everyone will tell you its far better balanced with the real game, the AI does not play like an opponent would, I know you will be far more happy with the real thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
Do you still need help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
That's nice of you, thanks. I think I've finally understood the strategy. But it's true what Todd above said - when playing with real opponent, the game progresses very differently. iOS AI optimizes all moves toward a certain strategy and I was just forced to find this one answer that would counter the always the same game the AI was playing. With that in mind, CPU level should be modifiable in the iOS app - the initial experience can be a little frustrating as mine was.

That said, I've ordered the master set :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
That's nice of you, thanks. I think I've finally understood the strategy. But it's true what Todd above said - when playing with real opponent, the game progresses very differently. iOS AI optimizes all moves toward a certain strategy and I was just forced to find this one answer that would counter the always the same game the AI was playing. With that in mind, CPU level should be modifiable in the iOS app - the initial experience can be a little frustrating as mine was.

That said, I've ordered the master set

You are going to love the set.
May I suggest starting with the Mountain Vargath, I think they are both fun and easy to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.