12 Posts

Le Havre: The Inland Port» Forums » Rules

Subject: Silly first round question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NH Farmdog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this sounds like a silly question, but are there basically only two buildings that can be acquired in the first round (Farmland and Clay Mound)? The beginning of every game feels like groundhog day to me. Most of the A buildings cannot be purchased until the 2nd or third round. Some of them can't be built until the third or fourth round until after you can actually use an "up and over" building that aren't available until several round later.

Here's how round "A" goes half the time in our house...

1/3 Wife: "Uh, I guess I'll buy Clay mound for 3."
2/3 Me: "Umm, that leaves me with Farmland for 1."
3/3 Wife: "pass?? I can't do anything else"

I bet you can imagine how the other half usually goes...

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Farmer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that you are missing something. Specifically that each player starts with goods and that you can use goods to buy buildings.

Each player starts with 3 Francs, 4 Fish, 3 Clay, 2 Wood, and 1 Grain.

There are 5 buildings available in the first round:

Wood Company costs 2 Clay.
Farmland costs 1 Franc.
Clay Mound costs 3 Francs.
Grocery Store costs 2 Wood.
Hardware Store costs 1 Wood and 2 Clay.

There are three actions in the first round, so at most three of these five can be built. For any combination of three of those buildings, there is some way for the two players to buy them in the three actions in the first round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NH Farmdog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While you are right with the goods count it seems like you would have enough. However, in order to pay 2 of any item, you need to be on a row above the bottom row, you cannot move 1 (left) twice. You can only overpay 3 to get the 2 item (down 1). Hence my confusion. You would have to move 1 twice for the same purchase, which you cannot do (if I understand the directions properly).

From the rules:

"There is no “change”: if the Wood counter is on the 6 in the second column and the player wants to pay 2 Wood, he will have to overpay as he can only get 2 by moving Wood down (3 per move), and cannot move it twice to the left (1 per move)."

This is why I am confused. Purchases can be paid for in combinations of 1, 3, and 4 and only using each combo once. So all combos are 1, 3, 4, 7, and 8. You start the game on the ground floor of the mill, and cannot go down to pay more than 1.

Thanks for looking though!
Farmer

gillum wrote:
I think that you are missing something. Specifically that each player starts with goods and that you can use goods to buy buildings.

Each player starts with 3 Francs, 4 Fish, 3 Clay, 2 Wood, and 1 Grain.

There are 5 buildings available in the first round:

Wood Company costs 2 Clay.
Farmland costs 1 Franc.
Clay Mound costs 3 Francs.
Grocery Store costs 2 Wood.
Hardware Store costs 1 Wood and 2 Clay.

There are three actions in the first round, so at most three of these five can be built. For any combination of three of those buildings, there is some way for the two players to buy them in the three actions in the first round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
But please don't call me Jerry.
badge
At one time, I didn't really like Power Grid so Ted made my piece a Power Grid piece.
mbmbmbmbmb
wpifarmer wrote:

From the rules:

"There is no “change”: if the Wood counter is on the 6 in the second column and the player wants to pay 2 Wood, he will have to overpay as he can only get 2 by moving Wood down (3 per move), and cannot move it twice to the left (1 per move)."

Note that the "(1 per move)" is referring to moving your marker two spaces to the left; in the example, that may not be done because there is only one column to the left! By my reading of the rules, anyway, every turn you may move your marker as many times in as many directions as necessary to pay for the building.

Again, by my reading of the rules, this is to warn you that you may not want your markers too close to the edges of the tracks, as you may overpay or you may not get the full benefit of the action you took.

wpifarmer wrote:

This is why I am confused. Purchases can be paid for in combinations of 1, 3, and 4 and only using each combo once.

I'm not sure where this information comes from. Again, if it's the passage you quoted above, I think "move" refers to moving the chit, not a player turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremiah is correct. To pay for a building, you can move your goods tokens down or left as many spaces as necessary to make the payment, as long as you don't go past the edges of the board. It's all one action.

He is correct that the warning in the rule book about "cannot move it twice to the left" is there simply because, if a goods token is in the second column, there is only more more column to the left. If it were in the third column or further right, you could do so.

The "1 per move" just means that each move to the left pays 1 good - not that it can be done only once per action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NH Farmdog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications everyone! The rules were not 100% clear to me on the movement limitations. I took the example too literal and general.

It turns out we were making this game much harder on ourselves! We were always paying 3 goods for items that cost 2. Now we can save goods! HOORAY!

Have a great day!
Farmer

P.S. Despite our incorrect payment, my wife and I still enjoyed the game greatly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zzz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmb

1) Maybe my questions are silly too, but I'm wondering if I can have few good counters on one spot?
For Example, in the beginning I have 3 woods and 2 clay in the bottom, starting line and I want to buy something for 1 wood. Can I do this and place wood counter on the clay counter?

2) And is there a possibility to combine paying methods?
For example I want to buy something for 7 woods, can I move my counter 2 times down and 1 time to the left?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NH Farmdog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jingowawa wrote:

1) Maybe my questions are silly too, but I'm wondering if I can have few good counters on one spot?
For Example, in the beginning I have 3 woods and 2 clay in the bottom, starting line and I want to buy something for 1 wood. Can I do this and place wood counter on the clay counter?

Yes, they can share the same spot. Just stack them.

jingowawa wrote:

2) And is there a possibility to combine paying methods?
For example I want to buy something for 7 woods, can I move my counter 2 times down and 1 time to the left?

You may pay anyway you want so long as it adds up to at least the price for the building. The only exception is if your counter is at the left or bottom edge of the board. Then you are limited by the edge.

Have fun!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Whitehead
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
MMMM- Look at those points!
mbmbmbmbmb
wpifarmer wrote:
Thanks for the clarifications everyone! The rules were not 100% clear to me on the movement limitations. I took the example too literal and general.

Yeah that example tripped us up also. It's terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
JesseW wrote:
wpifarmer wrote:

Yeah that example tripped us up also. It's terrible.

Absolutely agreed. My first reading of the rules with everything laid out in front of me was exactly the same as the OP's. They really should have added just a few extra words to clarify why the example player couldn't move the wood marker two spaces to the left. Or maybe include a figure showing the valid ways to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasmine Tea
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am so glad I found this post!

I found myself in the same dilemma when I tried to play this game today for the first time! Thank you for the clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvaro Manjon Galan
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was my case as well. Thank you for your answers!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.