Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zak
Canada
Wolfville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, one unboxing video after another is getting old pretty fast. I can summarize pretty much every video I've seen about this game as saying "wow, look at how big this game is!". It would be nice to know someone's thoughts as to how the game actually plays. Are there any good video or written reviews available or coming down the pipe?

Cheers,

Zak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I had the same thought when I saw my FLGS had a couple copies of the new edition. No way am I dropping that much on a game when I have no idea how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The gameplay hasn't changed in over 30 years. Just go into the reviews section and read the various older reviews before the 6th edition came out. They still apply to how the game plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
The ODE release also covers GEV and Shockwave so you might want to look there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You have to admit though, if you are going to choose a game to do a unboxing video for, this is a great one to choose. I don't blame any of those people having some fun and showing off how ridiculously huge and awesome the game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on reviewing it but probably won't get enough games in for a few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also surprised that this edition has no video reviews (there are some written ones). I think they will come though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no video reviews yet because the video reviewers have to save up for bigger cameras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
I am also surprised that this edition has no video reviews (there are some written ones). I think they will come though.

Well, in a way, reviews are often a way to expand the player base. A review of this (version of the) game is sort of moot because it's kind of like...here is this great game and here is how it plays...sorry it was a limited edition and there is no way for you to get it and play it.

Most people looking for a good review are like the Mike above:

"No way am I dropping that much on a game when I have no idea how it plays. "

...and for a "normal" game, the publisher and fans would want to show him why he should run out and buy it. In this case. there is no reason to convince him...if he doesn't buy it, someone else will and then it will be gone.

MHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a hard time imagining anyone not being able to find sufficient information here in the forum already to let them know if Ogre Designer Edition is for them or not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Radiation_King wrote:
I have to say, one unboxing video after another is getting old pretty fast. I can summarize pretty much every video I've seen about this game as saying "wow, look at how big this game is!". It would be nice to know someone's thoughts as to how the game actually plays. Are there any good video or written reviews available or coming down the pipe?

There are twelve reviews in the reviews section of the game's forums...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe everyone is having too much fun playing to film a video review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
M St wrote:
Radiation_King wrote:

There are twelve reviews in the reviews section of the game's forums...

There is a marked difference between a written review and a video review. I am a very visual person. I don't truly get how a game works till I see it played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ellis
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparticuse wrote:
There is a marked difference between a written review and a video review. I am a very visual person. I don't truly get how a game works till I see it played.

You can check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fybx0jIIiCg for a basic intro done by Steve Jackson. The second page of the videos section also has simple play-thru videos for both Ogre and GEV (although the strategy is poor and the GEV walk-thru misses some scenario rules for the specific one they're playing (the cities are supposed to be rubble which cuts the roads). Those are done with previous editions, but since they play the same, it should give you a pretty good feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Pooler
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
check out the intro videos that were posted up in the Videos section. Takes you through a baseic Mark III scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YouTube has a playthru by Andrew Walters. He did both basic OGRE and a different playthru of a GEV scenario.

// OGRE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8imOsFVVXA

// GEV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjGWO2B4aWE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has been around for 25 years without any major changes to the rules. Any of the hundreds of reviews out there will work. Except for the "Wow, look at how big it is!" nothing much else has changed. Asking about a review of this particular edition is similar to asking for a review of an anniversary edition of Monopoly, the only thing you can review is the pieces as the game play is unchanged ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
Canada
Wolfville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True enough, there are some quality written reviews of the 6th Ed. I was mostly referring to video reviews in my original post. Even if the game is similar to previous editions (although I have seen posts saying there is more included in DE compared to the older versions) it would be helpful to have a good overview of how the game plays using the new boards and components.

As a side note, I guess I am becoming critical of unboxing videos in general, and the fact that users are posting one after another for this game is a bit irritating. It's a waste of time to watch someone who hasn't played a game (or at least chooses not to offer opinions) opening it up and "discussing" all of the wonderful components that they don't know anything about. Anyhow, whatever, I ended up buying the game so I guess I'll see for myself how it plays . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Radiation_King wrote:

As a side note, I guess I am becoming critical of unboxing videos in general, and the fact that users are posting one after another for this game is a bit irritating.

I guess I don't understand. Did the video posters stop by your house to force you to watch them? If not, they are clearly labeled as unboxing videos so they are easily avoided if they do not interest you. Since other people are watching them and thumbing their submissions, it certainly seems like there is a market for them. I wouldn't let a few videos you can choose not to watch ruin your day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Go to the Ogre game page, scroll down to Forums and click on reviews. There are four reviews specifically of the Designer's Edition that I can see at the top of the list.
d10-2 As has been mentioned above, it is the same game with different pimped bits and the bits are covered in the unboxing videos and elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Karlsen wrote:
d10-1 Go to the Ogre game page, scroll down to Forums and click on reviews. There are four reviews specifically of the Designer's Edition that I can see at the top of the list.
d10-2 As has been mentioned above, it is the same game with different pimped bits and the bits are covered in the unboxing videos and elsewhere.

And has been said before, reading about a game doesn't explain it the same way a video explanation does. Being condescending about it doesn't change that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Radiation_King wrote:
True enough, there are some quality written reviews of the 6th Ed. I was mostly referring to video reviews in my original post.  

The problem with video reviews is, I believe, everyone is still assembling their Ogres ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Malechi wrote:
I believe, everyone is still assembling their Ogres ...

The darn sharpie is what is taking so long!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Pooler
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grubman wrote:
Malechi wrote:
I believe, everyone is still assembling their Ogres ...

The darn sharpie is what is taking so long!

Tell me about it! Starting to regret starting it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparticuse wrote:
Karlsen wrote:

And has been said before, reading about a game doesn't explain it the same way a video explanation does. Being condescending about it doesn't change that.

The original post wrote:
Are there any good video or written reviews available or coming down the pipe?

My post points out that there are some (written) and how to find them. It's not condescending, some people don't know how to find stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.