Popular Tags: Errata [+] Rules [+] [View All]
Eric Zimmerman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Boardgamegeek Quantum players,

First, I want to thank all of you for your comments, questions, and suggestions over the last several weeks. The game is not yet widely available, but those of you that have played it and offered your feedback have brought some great attention to many small details about the game. I really do want to offer my heartfelt thanks.

I’m sending out this note because my publisher has let me know that for the next print run I can make small changes to some of the paper materials of the game – including the rules text and the cards text. (Thanks, FunForge!) I’m taking advantage of this opportunity to make some small changes. Most are clarifications in the rules – responding in several cases to questions that have come up here in the BGG forums. A few are tweaks to existing map designs. And there are a couple of rules changes too.

Clarifications
There are numerous small edits throughout the game to make things clearer. I have added FAQ entries for questions that have come up here on BGG, including: what happens when your dominance reaches 6 during your advance cards phase or during an opponent’s turn; two separate entries to answer common questions about the flagship’s Transport ability; and FAQ entries for a few more of the card powers. I also cleaned up some of the card language, especially the somewhat confusing text on the STRATEGIC command card.

Map changes
(1) The 2-player basic map on the setup page of the rules now matches the (correct) version of the 2-player basic map on the maps insert.
(2) The 3-player basic map has been opened up a little to avoid shut-out. The three rows, left to right and top to bottom are: 8-9-8, 8-9-8, 8-7-8. The starting locations are the same (upper corners and bottom center).
(3) The NEXUS map has been tweaked so that it doesn’t have too many size 9 planet tiles. The two 9s nearest the center are now 10s.

Rule changes
(1) The CURIOUS command card, which was arguably a little overpowered, has been changed. You now get an extra move action on your turn, as long as you do not attack any other player during your entire turn.

(2) The only substantial change to the game is the introduction of a new concept: quantum entanglement. Quantum entanglement has to do with the possibility of placing 2 or more of your cubes on the same planet. I will quote from the new rules here:

• You can normally have only ONE of your quantum cubes on a planet.
• However, if the ONLY available space on the entire map is on a planet where you already have a cube, then you can place multiple cubes there.
• The special case of placing a second (or third, or fourth) cube of the same color on a planet is called quantum entanglement. When you construct with quantum entanglement, add 3 to the planet number for each cube you already have there. (Remember – quantum entanglement can only happen if you have no other choice for placing a quantum cube.)
• Example: Near the end of a game, the only place you can construct a quantum cube is on a size 8 planet where you already have a quantum cube. Quantum entanglement would increase the planet number to 11 (8+3) for the purposes of constructing the second cube there.

Note that when you are placing cubes because you reached infamy (dominance = 6), the same placement rules apply (you can place on a planet where you already have a cube – but only if you have no other options). There are no other special rules for placing a quantum entanglement cube via infamy.

Why did I make this change? A few of the maps included with the game turned out to have shut-out possibilities. (That’s when one of the players can’t win because there isn’t a planet where they can build a quantum cube.) One option would have been to redesign the maps and just keep the game rules as they were. That would have been simpler in the sense of not changing any of the core rules.

But my goal for Quantum was to make map creation as interesting and open-ended for players as possible. It struck me that if the designer of the game had not been able to catch some of the instances of shut-out, then many of you might not as well. And as I playtested some of the possible solutions to this design dilemma, I realized that quantum entanglement – a special situation that usually happens only at the very endgame on particularly tight maps – can actually be pretty interesting. It opens up whole new kinds of gameplay possibilities. So I made the change.

The rule change actually doesn’t affect the game hardly at all. For almost every game of Quantum you play, quantum entanglement won’t be a factor. On most of the game’s maps, it can’t happen – and on a few of them it will happen so rarely that you likely will never see it. However, just in case it does, on one of my maps or on one of yours, there is now a “safety net” of rules to cover that situation. If you make your own map, you can choose to create one that will never reach quantum entanglement – or maybe you want one specifically designed to have quantum entanglement happen.

That’s it! As a game designer, I find the idea of a living game design – one that can change and grow over time – a beautiful idea. So thanks again for helping make that happen through your insightful discussions and commentary.

I welcome any thoughts or feedback you might have about these adjustments to the game.

-eric zimmerman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mott
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate that you're adjusting the design to address a few issues and to clarify things. I'm still waiting on my pre-order, but am wondering if it would be possible for you guys to design a fancy PDF or printable of some sort that I could print and include in my game box. This would present these changes in an attractive, "official" format that would give us early buyers a nicer fix for our copies of the game.

Thanks again for your ongoing support of this soon-to-be-a-big-hit game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Curious was a little too good, imho, as noted here. Nice to see that change.

The extra ability to place a cube on an already claimed planet is nice, but really rarely comes into play. (On a side note, Eric, why is it that the number of slots on a planet is linked to its target number? In other words, why can't a 2 slot planet have 7,8, 9 or 10 as its target number? Just wonderin'.)

Any chance of getting updated rules/faqs/cards for us early adopters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boomtron wrote:
Yeah, Curious was a little too good, imho, as noted here. Nice to see that change.

The extra ability to place a cube on an already claimed planet is nice, but really rarely comes into play. (On a side note, Eric, why is it that the number of slots on a planet is linked to its target number? In other words, why can't a 2 slot planet have 7,8, 9 or 10 as its target number? Just wonderin'.)

Any chance of getting updated rules/faqs/cards for us early adopters?

+1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Zimmerman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
> Any chance of getting updated rules/faqs/cards for us early adopters?

Absolutely. I assume that FunForge will make PDFs of the updated rules and map inserts available online - the current versions are already posted here on on BGG. It will likely be some weeks before everything is edited and designed and ready for posting.

> On a side note, Eric, why is it that the number of slots on a planet is linked to its target number? In other words, why can't a 2 slot planet have 7,8, 9 or 10 as its target number?

Lucas, you ask an excellent question. It's true that I could disentangle those two planet stats. But I kept them linked for the same reason that I didn't design Quantum's ships to each need a little stat card (movement, combat, construct, etc) - I wanted to keep the game streamlined and elegant. I like the idea that you can scan the board and immediately understand all of the planets, as opposed to having to keep on scanning the map to remind yourself of the particular combinations of stats on each planet. I also found that it feels right from a story point of view: bigger planets have a higher quantum resonance with which the constructing ships need to harmonize, and they also can physically support more orbiting quantum cubes.

-eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericzimmerman wrote:

Absolutely. I assume that FunForge will make PDFs of the updated rules and map inserts available online - the current versions are already posted here on on BGG. It will likely be some weeks before everything is edited and designed and ready for posting.

> On a side note, Eric, why is it that the number of slots on a planet is linked to its target number? In other words, why can't a 2 slot planet have 7,8, 9 or 10 as its target number?

Lucas, you ask an excellent question. It's true that I could disentangle those two planet stats. But I kept them linked for the same reason that I didn't design Quantum's ships to each need a little stat card (movement, combat, construct, etc) - I wanted to keep the game streamlined and elegant. I like the idea that you can scan the board and immediately understand all of the planets, as opposed to having to keep on scanning the map to remind yourself of the particular combinations of stats on each planet. I also found that it feels right from a story point of view: bigger planets have a higher quantum resonance with which the constructing ships need to harmonize, and they also can physically support more orbiting quantum cubes.

-eric

Cool, on both counts. That does make a lot of sense, regarding scanning the board. I know that 8's have two slots. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing this second print run would be available sometime later in 2014, not the initial release coming out in January?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Zimmerman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Slyght wrote:
I'm guessing this second print run would be available sometime later in 2014, not the initial release coming out in January?

These changes will not be in the initial release. I don't know when the updated version will be coming out - that is a question for my publisher FunForge. As I mentioned, I hope to have the PDFs of the latest rules online.

-eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericzimmerman wrote:
Slyght wrote:

These changes will not be in the initial release. I don't know when the updated version will be coming out - that is a question for my publisher FunForge. As I mentioned, I hope to have the PDFs of the latest rules online.

-eric

Glad to hear that. The changes seem worthwhile, but I'd hate to have to wait any longer to get my hands on a copy of the game. Unfortunately, I missed out on picking it up at BGG.con when I was unexpectedly unable to make it back to the con the last day. Of the three games I intended to pick up that day, I regret having missed out on picking up Quantum the most. I REALLY enjoyed playing this game and can't wait to finally own it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Zimmerman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Surge1000 wrote:

The changes seem worthwhile, but I'd hate to have to wait any longer to get my hands on a copy of the game.

Sergio, don't wait to get your game! The tweaks to the game rules are very minor. You should definitely get your hands on a first edition - who knows - it might be worth something someday...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericzimmerman wrote:
Surge1000 wrote:

The changes seem worthwhile, but I'd hate to have to wait any longer to get my hands on a copy of the game.

Sergio, don't wait to get your game! The tweaks to the game rules are very minor. You should definitely get your hands on a first edition - who knows - it might be worth something someday...

Don't worry, I'm going to pick this up the very second it's available to me. You can't take my money fast enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news ! I like the way you follow your game.
Maybe you should make an announcment on the french forum TricTrac, lots of people own the game and it seems they don't know about these changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piepio Pio
msg tools
"That’s it! As a game designer, I find the idea of a living game design – one that can change and grow over time – a beautiful idea."

For me, it's not good at all.

When i bought a game, i like it finished. No a beta test! Not at this price!

You're pro designer, you must test your game before selling it!

I'm really concerned for those "normal" buyers no hardcore gamers who don't know and won't know about this new points still important...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
canardcache wrote:
"That’s it! As a game designer, I find the idea of a living game design – one that can change and grow over time – a beautiful idea."

For me, it's not good at all.

When i bought a game, i like it finished. No a beta test! Not at this price!

You're pro designer, you must test your game before selling it!

I'm really concerned for those "normal" buyers no hardcore gamers who don't know and won't know about this new points still important...

I honestly don't believe the issues are going to come top bear in 99% of games people play and after someone has been burned by it noone in the group is likely to be burned by it again.

Having said that I also don't like the idea of living rules, since we're told so much of the money spent on a game is about paying for the production and design teams. If so, we expect a certain level of rules tightness.

I think the main problem for most players is the ambiguities in cards and strengths.

I'm also a little disappointed in the customer service compared to the top publishers in the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice to get a new actual card for the changed command card, for us early adopters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lutovsky
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ericzimmerman wrote:

-eric

Picked up Quantum the other day!

Maybe I'm blind but where on here is the updated FAQ posted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would also like to see an updated FAQ (updated rules/map setup).

There are some unanswered rules questions as well in the forum that probably should also be addressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The STRATEGIC card that has been rephrased, how should it be played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badmojo wrote:
The STRATEGIC card that has been rephrased, how should it be played?

What do you mean by rephrased? As for how it should be played, it is simply so that if you attack square X from square Y, then you get a bonus if you have your own ship on any of the squares next to (not diagonally) either X or Y. But when you defend on area X, then only ships next to X (not diagonally) count.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Zimmerman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badmojo wrote:
There are some unanswered rules questions as well in the forum that probably should also be addressed.

I do my best to address rules questions as they come up in these forums - but sometimes I miss a discussion or two.

I don't think there are any currently unanswered questions - but let me know if there is anything that I might help clarify.

Thanks for playing Quantum!
-eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Eric you are great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericzimmerman wrote:
what happens when your dominance reaches 6 during your advance cards phase or during an opponent’s turn;

I'm still not sure about what happens when your dominance reaches 6 during your opponent's turn - the post about it says that you can to place a Quantum cube right away even during their turn, but do you get an advance card for it? and if so, when?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrytom wrote:
ericzimmerman wrote:
what happens when your dominance reaches 6 during your advance cards phase or during an opponent’s turn;

I'm still not sure about what happens when your dominance reaches 6 during your opponent's turn - the post about it says that you can to place a Quantum cube right away even during their turn, but do you get an advance card for it? and if so, when?

That's a good question. I'd say either in your opponent's advance card phase or in your next advance card phase.

Maybe the first one would be better, even if it makes less sense thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked this up today on amazon - Have the updated rules/FAQ been posted somewhere? I can't seem to find them.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.