Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a simple variant we use when playing:

As Head of Council: On your turn and as your action, you "MAY" discard one of your cards to draw one new random card. This action costs 1 coin and cannot be blocked. Be sure to show the card then shuffle it into the stack before drawing a new card. We call this action "Government Purge" and your turn ends after drawing a new card.

EDIT: thanks to Ash1138 for the coin twist on the variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused, there is already a role to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I'm confused, there is already a role to do this.

Forgot the last part: show discarded card and it cannot be blocked. There is the ambassador that allows this to a greater extent, but oddly, I liked this minor implementation that the wife recommended we try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I'm still confused. How is this any better than just bluffing the Ambassador? Or is it just about the action not being blockable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Jesurun
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I wanted to do this I would just use the Ambassador instead. It's better in every way except for the small risk of being challenged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I'm still confused. How is this any better than just bluffing the Ambassador? Or is it just about the action not being blockable?

It's about having to show the card you purged and the action not being blockable. I said the same thing to my wife when she said "let's try it" and for some odd reason, I quite enjoyed the slight twist in the game. It gave me the feeling that I had ultimate control over my government and its advisors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, this is one of the things the designer tried while developing the game:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/893534/variants-we-tested

(Wasn't explicit about whether you had to reveal the card first or not)

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horatio252 wrote:
If I wanted to do this I would just use the Ambassador instead. It's better in every way except for the small risk of being challenged.

If you've painted yourself into a corner (down to one card, and you've been calling the same role for several turns) finally calling ambassador would be suicidal.

Of course, the "right" play is to have been bluffing all along, but some of us can't get away with that.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
Interestingly, this is one of the things the designer tried while developing the game:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/893534/variants-we-tested

(Wasn't explicit about whether you had to reveal the card first or not)

-Dave

The reveal is what makes it interesting and why I liked it. I went and read the post, she mentions discarding without showing the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lucero
United States
Centennial
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I like the idea for this variant. The reason being is that Coup is a bluffing game, and this variant is designed to help players win without bluffing. However, I can understand those rare times where you do get painted into a corner with one role that everyone knows you have, and it's not the ambassador. This happened in our last game in fact where one player was down to one Contessa that everyone knew he had. I thought at that moment it would be nice to have a way to switch out that character.

I would suggest that if you keep wanting to use this variant that you modify it with a cost. At least one coin, maybe two, in order to use this unblockable/unchallengable ability. This way, if you REALLY need it, it's there to pull your fat out of the fire, but would also really punish someone who tried to use this in place of an Ambassador.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ash1138 wrote:
I don't think I like the idea for this variant. The reason being is that Coup is a bluffing game, and this variant is designed to help players win without bluffing. However, I can understand those rare times where you do get painted into a corner with one role that everyone knows you have, and it's not the ambassador. This happened in our last game in fact where one player was down to one Contessa that everyone knew he had. I thought at that moment it would be nice to have a way to switch out that character.

I would suggest that if you keep wanting to use this variant that you modify it with a cost. At least one coin, maybe two, in order to use this unblockable/unchallengable ability. This way, if you REALLY need it, it's there to pull your fat out of the fire, but would also really punish someone who tried to use this in place of an Ambassador.

Mechanically, we really enjoy playing with the variant, but I do like the coin cost and will give it a try next play. I'm thinking 2 coins. Great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoyed the coin cost addition. Worked really well and added a much needed risk / reward element. Thanks for the great recommendation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lucero
United States
Centennial
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to hear it worked. Did you find you liked it best with a one coin cost or two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ash1138 wrote:
I'm happy to hear it worked. Did you find you liked it best with a one coin cost or two?

Tried both but 1 coin stuck probably because it was easiest to remember. "Pay 1 coin, show then purge the council member" was easy to teach and for everyone to remember. Will always play this way going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
could you ratchet up the price so its $1 first time, then $2 the second time its used etc. Is the ability often used more than once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.