Subject: Which Expansion Map Are You Most Interested In? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So most of the factions have been revealed, ala the videos GEG has been kind enough to share. All of them look pretty neat.

But what hasn't been discussed that much is the expansion maps. The ones we have are Dreamlands Primeval Yuggoth

Dreamlands: Your Units can travel between two maps at specific locations. Dominate one map to win the game. On the surface world, the Zoogs spy on you and harass your forces. In the Underworld, you are preyed on by the terrifying Bhole.

Primeval: It changes play dramatically. Each turn, a glacier piece appears in one of the polar areas, and moves south (or north). As the game progresses, the glaciers begin constraining the actions and movements of the players, until everyone is forced to move into the equatorial regions, which naturally enough ensures in a bloodbath.

Yuggoth: The faction which controls the Slime Sea Overlook is allowed to summon the useful Slime Mold monsters, which are a good-level monster. The problme is that they obey anyone who controls the Overlook. So if you have summoned a batch of Slime Molds, and then another person captures the Outloook from you, they take control!

The faction which controls the Laboratory is able to use it to transform his Cultists into Brand Cylinders. The cylinders still produce Power like a normal Cultist, but cannot move on their own.

The Green Pyramid contains the mighty Brain of Yuggoth, which boosts your faction in useful ways. However, the Green Pyramid Watch has a chance of awakening and after destroying all units in the Green Pyramid, will go around destroying everyone in a set path.

Of all the maps, I'm most excited about Primeval. They all seem awesome, but Primeval seems to raise the stakes, higher and higher each turn, until things explode from conflict.

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am looking forward to the Yuggoth Map the most, mainly due to my love of the Mythos and its stories, plus you also have an extra GOO in play goo

I'm in at DVM so lucky old me will be getting all three whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could only choose one to start and i picked Yuggoth as well.

I feel like a map that forces more and more conflict as you move closer will make some factions very, very hard to play well and make cthulu more dominating.

I've only played the game once mind you but after seeing the base 4 races i could see the the king in yellow becoming very challenging on a permanently shrinking map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't a shrinking map. What I heard from Sandy at Spiel is that: You can still move around in the outer areas, it's just that the gates in the outer areas get blocked over time. The glaciers sit on top of the gates, not allowing any cultists in. Which means the only gates you can put a cultist on are in the center of the map. But because off all the gates that are blocked everyone gets a lot of power (any not claimed gate gives everyone power).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Valandor is correct:

the glaciers do not constrain movement, but rather, they clog gates. Clogged gates simply cannot be controlled (but they DO still give 1 power to everyone during gather power). So, it becomes a HIGH power game, yet a low scoring game per ritual!

So, yes, over time, there is more and more conflict over fewer and fewer power centers, because you have the power to make the monsters and need all the gates because there are so few. This also gives the elder tokens a more pronounced value, as those are not related to number of gates!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered the Faction bundle with my pledge. If I see that I can bring this a lot to the table I'll definetly get the Primeval map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
While the map does not "shrink" per se, the number of areas you are interested in capturing certainly gets significantly smaller.

The Yellow Sign is both fearsome and vulnerable on the Primeval Map. Fearsome, because you cannot escape him. Vulnerable, because he cannot readily escape you.

On the normal map, if a player loses 2-3 Gates, the next turn is usually a "recovery" turn, in which he builds his strength back up. A player might drop from 17 Power to 6-7 the following turn which forces him to pull in his horns, and gives the other players a respite, which they spend building up their own Doom points.

But on the Primeval map, no matter how hard you hammer your enemy, he does not stay weak. Sure you stole a gate from him (rarely more than one, on this map), but he typically has a Power boost of 4-6 points from the abandoned Gates. Add this to the "6-7" you knocked him down to, and he is still up at 10-13 points (In fact I don't recall ever seeing a player lower than 12 points on Primeval, at least not after the second turn.)

Plus the most "dominating" player only has 2-3 Gates, which means that the Power range from the weakest player to the mightiest is not as big a gap. Carnage ensues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of Yuggoth as well. It mimics the kind of PVP maps in video games that I prefer, where the map is asymmetrical and different areas can do different things.

Dreamlands will be interesting for sure. How the BHole will act differently than the Zoogs is intriguing by itself. If I had to guess, I'd say Bholes assign kills automatically while Zoogs do the same with pains.

Can't wait to see the maps themselves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuggoth is the way to go! The ability to utilize the slime mobs will become very useful. The Overlook will be a key area to maintain as this allows you to control said slime.

Think of this map as a capture the fortress scenario. Everyone wants the overlook for the added mobs. Plus, it makes you think more before making a movement or combat action.

Now all we need is the game at our front doors and we are golden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Primeval has the most excited. Why else have all these great mini's if not to battle it out!?

That said, the Dreamlands could end up being my favourite if the area-control win condition is fairly common. I like the idea of the game being about something more than just "points". If it's just one of those long shot events that is easily prevented it won't be all that exciting for me though.

Buying all three maps was a priority for me though (even more than all the factions) so I can't wait to hear more about them and get them in my hands. Ultimately I ended up going DVM so I bought it all, but for a time I considered just buying one extra faction and the three maps. I really like how they expand the replayability of this game and seem to offer interesting twists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
Primeval has the most excited. Why else have all these great mini's if not to battle it out!?

That said, the Dreamlands could end up being my favourite if the area-control win condition is fairly common. I like the idea of the game being about something more than just "points". If it's just one of those long shot events that is easily prevented it won't be all that exciting for me though.

Buying all three maps was a priority for me though (even more than all the factions) so I can't wait to hear more about them and get them in my hands. Ultimately I ended up going DVM so I bought it all, but for a time I considered just buying one extra faction and the three maps. I really like how they expand the replayability of this game and seem to offer interesting twists.

Word on the street is that on the Dreamlands you get an Area control victory half of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You pretty much have to be sneaky and not tell anyone you're doing it. Also it helps if you go last and everyone else is out of power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: Dreamlands

Even in games which end in the conventional way (i.e., Doom points), the fact that there is an instant-win available affects the play considerably.

Initially, Dreamlands citadel wins were maybe 30% of the time but they are now up to 50%, and who knows may go even higher as players become more expert.

In one Dreamlands game we played, I was threatening to win via Citadel (on the Surface), while two other players were trying to win conventionally. They calculated their best chance of stopping me, and then realized that this could leave the game open for an Underworld Citadel win by Sleeper. So they split their options, managing to stop me, but not Sleeper. But this same turn one of them would plainly have won via conventional means, so it came down to the wire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
RE: Dreamlands

Even in games which end in the conventional way (i.e., Doom points), the fact that there is an instant-win available affects the play considerably.

Initially, Dreamlands citadel wins were maybe 30% of the time but they are now up to 50%, and who knows may go even higher as players become more expert.

In one Dreamlands game we played, I was threatening to win via Citadel (on the Surface), while two other players were trying to win conventionally. They calculated their best chance of stopping me, and then realized that this could leave the game open for an Underworld Citadel win by Sleeper. So they split their options, managing to stop me, but not Sleeper. But this same turn one of them would plainly have won via conventional means, so it came down to the wire.

This is the kind of game play we all want. Down to the wire, last minute decisions that could turn the game to your favor. Even if you lose the game... it's worth it to see who wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.