Antonio
United States
Sparks
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
~Best for Business~
mbmbmbmbmb
Game night is pretty chilly out here where I live but that doesn't stop me and my friends from having a good time. The first game we played is one that we haven't played in awhile: Settlers of America. If anyone knows the Catan series, then you already know what Settlers of America is all about. However, now that we have to use trains and rails to transport other goods towards our opponents settlements, it will take all the resources to pick a winner.

Once again as the Red player, I hoped that I could win the game against the Blue and White player (note: does anyone know why orange is part of the group? I know since it's Settlers of America it would have red, white and blue. But orange?). We each selected a good area to control and gain resources if we got the lucky roll but that would prove White's strength in the game.

Getting resources are as simple as a roll of a die. But in this case, we were hitting the numbers that White was getting while he was rolling the resources that he needed in the long run. Trading would have to be something that we can use. I hoped to expand towards the west in order to build some rails heading into both Blue and White's settlements. While this proved quite well, White was waiting for the perfect moment to strike when we least expect it.

As we were expanding, White continued to avoid the dreadful 7 being rolled while me and Blue often times had to give up our cards thanks to that robber. But often not, we would gain a card at least in trying to stop White from expanding. But he continued to save up his gold until finally he had enough resources to travel into Blue's areas with his train and drop off those cubes. One by one he continued to pay us with gold in exchange for his cube, that horrible box taunting us as the game drew closer to the end. I was lucky enough to drop a few cubes but that wasn't even close.

In the end, White won the game with Blue in second and me in third but what matters is that we had fun in the process. Sure, Settlers of America is different from the other Catan games but it shares it unique fun as well. It may not be high on my must play list but sometimes, you have to ride the rails across America to enjoy something.

Unless you're playing Ticket to Ride. Then by all means, enjoy that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fullmetalwwant wrote:
(note: does anyone know why orange is part of the group? I know since it's Settlers of America it would have red, white and blue. But orange?)

What other color would you have used for the 4th player?

Personally I would have prefered green, as I always plaý with green when available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Orange is often picked as a player color by publishers, as an alternative to green, because of how many males suffer from some degree of a red/green deficiency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio
United States
Sparks
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
~Best for Business~
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
Fullmetalwwant wrote:
(note: does anyone know why orange is part of the group? I know since it's Settlers of America it would have red, white and blue. But orange?)

What other color would you have used for the 4th player?

Personally I would have prefered green, as I always plaý with green when available.

Yeah green is a good choice to pick but whatever works for everyone in the end

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.