Railways of Mexico» Forums » General

Subject: 2 player game: is 8 empty city markers too many? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Railways of the World, and the Mexico map is very fun to play with at a lower player count. However I'm wondering how others have experienced the two player game using 8 empty city markers as the end game trigger.

There are quite a few "New Industry" and "City Growth" cards in the Railroad Operations deck, and often it is to a player's advantage to use these. With new cubes being added to the board in this way, the inevitable result is that it takes longer for the empty city markers to be placed, and the game goes on for quite a while.

In the most recent games we played (like the one pictured below), there were virtually no cubes left on the board when the game ended, and nearly every city had links built to it. In another game, only one city (Tampico) did not have a link built to it! As a consequence, these games turned out to be longer than we expected; as I recall they lasted over two hours.

I'm curious to hear some thoughts on this from others, and how appropriate you think that 8 empty city markers is for triggering the end of a two-player game, and whether you've found that games last quite long. Winning scores for us have typically been around 100 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender in my earliest games I didn't really keep good comments about the game, but what I can see for us, our scores are about half of what you shared, so ~50.

For whatever reason my RotW plays in general have not seen a major focus on "New Industry" and "City Growth" Ops cards. Sure they get played from time to time, but they are also likely to stay available as they are to be claimed and played. Perhaps we're missing something there, but its our game group's personality none the less.

I'll admit that I often play with 2 less Empty City Markers than suggested regardless of the map or player count. This keeps the game from dragging on too long which is what I experienced in the first handful of plays.

My .02, I don't feel you would be throwing the game completely out of balance by dropping your count down by two, especially if you described a typical end game scenario in your OP.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 2 player Mexico a few times (and it has been a while) but I recall 2+ hour games and I do seem to recall thinking that the nature of the map (and or deck) seemed to encourage adding cubes ...

I'm interested to hear how it feels playing to less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkunes wrote:
our scores are about half of what you shared, so ~50.

Thanks for your feedback Bill. In our most recent two-player game today, our scores were both in the mid 80s, and the two games before that saw winning scores over 100 points. I can't remember the extent to which triggering the game end was delayed through urbanization and city growth, but I think they did play a role in the 100+ point games.

We're using the full number of cubes at set-up, even in the two player game - is that how you also play the Mexico map?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have also played with the full allotment of cubes, not realizing until just recently with RONA that the rules say to place one less for 2-3p games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkunes wrote:
I think I have also played with the full allotment of cubes, not realizing until just recently with RONA that the rules say to place one less for 2-3p games.

Yes, that's the general rule, although the rules for Railways of Mexico specifically say that this doesn't apply to the Mexico map, as discussed in this thread:

Do you remove cubes with 3 players??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.