Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euphoria - 6 Player

Sunday Evening - Dragoons Den

I've been wanting to do some more player counts and I finally got the opportunity on Sunday for a 6 player game of Euphoria. This was with all but me as new players (Simon, Ruth, Unnamed (Mark maybe...lets go with Mark), Rod and Dillan. I still don't feel I've quite got a lid on teaching order but I think it was mostly stress from it being so many people!

The game started with 4 players Euphorian, 1 Subterran & 1 Wastelander (Me! Yay for being outsider scum!). My active recruit allowed me to use construction sites using an artifact card instead of a resource, so I tried to make sure to have a few available at all times so that I wouldn't miss out on markets. The 4 Euphorian-recruit players went for a lot of energy and rushed themselves to 3/4 workers. Those who got to 4 often left a worker on a market to avoid losing any. With so many people who had bonuses going to the generator it left the spot almost always on 9+, letting them get back workers for 2 actions anyway.

As the game went on, we built all 6 markets, which I think is the first time I've seen that happen thanks to the higher player count for building them. A couple of players didn't particularly try to get in on them (With Rod missing most as he used the gold he'd gathered to get authority in Icarus). It's interesting how it feels very non-impactful the first time you miss out on a market, but if you let it build up you get into very difficult situations - I think Rod had 'Lose a res/commodity on rolling 4's/5' and only 1 worker at a time' by the end. A couple of players left themselves blocked from Icarus for a large part of the game as well, which actually didn't seem to affect anyone as only one player had an Icaran recruit and it got revealed anyway. Mark was the only person I think to get on all 6 markets, and mostly stockpiled resources/commodities asides from that to make sure he wouldn't miss out.

At the earlier half of the game the allegiance tracks stayed very low as a result of commodity locations constantly being stuck at 5+ from the number of players competing over them. This led to Euphoria/Wastelander recruits both being revealed by tunnels (Something that's rarely happened in 2/4 players). Towards the end all tracks rushed up thanks to many authority placing options giving allegiance, and 3 of the 4 factions got to the star (Only Icarus didn't, and it was 2 spaces off anyway). The main issue with this is that compared to 2/4 players it felt very anticlimactic at the end, as the last few authority went down so fast from stars being hit all across the board (3 Players has 2 Euphorian recruits at the end). The game finish was with Simon putting down an authority on Euphoria and getting one on each of his Euphorian recruits as the track hit the star (3 in one go), this actually made him draw with Ruth who had gotten 3 authority down via recruits completely outside of her turn (i.e. with nothing done on her behalf), with Simon ultimately winning from having higher morale (Although Ruth would have won by the other tie breakers, close!).

I think the finishing scores were:
Simon - 0 (Winner by Morale!)
Ruth - 0
Mark - 1
Dillan - 1
Chris (me) - 2
Rod - 3 (Don't miss out on markets!)

It was a good game, although it took considerably longer than 2/4 took. I think it was the 'bored-between-turns and get distracted' effect, as many of the players at this particular society were inclined to analyse turns a lot more than the others I've played with, which combined with 5 other players turns until a go meant people would start chatting or such and forget what their plans were. I think it took 2-3 hours but I'm not sure whereabouts in that bracket (upper half I think), although I think another game with the same people would be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up. You made an interesting observation regarding how the commodity areas stay at 5+ with more players, requiring players to go elsewhere to advance the allegiance tracks. Since most of the early reports of little tunneling have been with low player counts, it's nice to know the game requires different strategies at different player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting write up, thanks for sharing. We did find our first game with six took about 2 1/2hr with six players, all new to game. Second six player game was 2hr, this had two new players (4 players with two games under belt). Third game we played took 90mins with 1 new player (5 players with 3 games under belt).

So the play time does come down considerably upon repeat plays. Markets can affect the strategy if you miss out and get the penalty against you.

Tunneling has become more and more used in each progressive games. Especially when you hit the bonus area in the allegiance track
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
lol. Good write up.. but I had to do a double check. Look at my name and you'll understand why. Hah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJunon wrote:
lol. Good write up.. but I had to do a double check. Look at my name and you'll understand why. Hah.

Ha I'm sorry for the confusion! I was using my username and calling them 'Smoothsmiths Sessions' but asides from being quite the mouthful it sounds stupid. I figured I'd just go with my name and if all the gazillion Chris's out there get confused..that's their fault for being called Chris as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
LordJunon wrote:

Ha I'm sorry for the confusion! I was using my username and calling them 'Smoothsmiths Sessions' but asides from being quite the mouthful it sounds stupid. I figured I'd just go with my name and if all the gazillion Chris's out there get confused..that's their fault for being called Chris as well

Well I'd venture the guess that there are fairly few people named Chris whose last name is spelled almost exactly like the word "sessions" .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
LordJunon wrote:

oh its okay i just had a chuckle at that (And some people have actually spelled my last name like that)

And as a person who knows about 20 people named chris I understand that. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls