Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Diplomacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Disbands and builds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If a power is eligible for 2 builds in a Winter adjustment, can they then disband one existing unit and build 3 (assuming all home SC's are open)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No. They may only disband if a unit is forced to reatreat or if they have more units than supply centers.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. For years my gaming group thought "disband" was a valid move. It's not.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Indeed. For years my gaming group thought "disband" was a valid move. It's not.


It is an opportunity for diplomacy, however. It is legal to have one of your allies attack one of your units and dislodge it and you can choose to disband it at that point rather than retreat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If a unit is forced to retreat, and does have available provinces to retreat into, it can still disband?


downeymb wrote:
No. They may only disband if a unit is forced to reatreat or if they have more units than supply centers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify: my friend, who, like me, is new to the game, thought that he could voluntarily disband his unit in the build phase (even though his number of units equals his number of SCs) and build a different type of unit. Is that legal? I thought it's not, but I know there's a goo chance I might be wrong...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TumblingYak wrote:
If a unit is forced to retreat, and does have available provinces to retreat into, it can still disband?


Yes. You may always retreat "off the board".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Just to clarify: my friend, who, like me, is new to the game, thought that he could voluntarily disband his unit in the build phase (even though his number of units equals his number of SCs) and build a different type of unit. Is that legal? I thought it's not, but I know there's a goo chance I might be wrong...


No, this is not legal.

During the adjustment phase, you count how many units you have and compare it to the number of supply centers you have. You may make adjustments only if they are different.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
Just to clarify: my friend, who, like me, is new to the game, thought that he could voluntarily disband his unit in the build phase (even though his number of units equals his number of SCs) and build a different type of unit. Is that legal? I thought it's not, but I know there's a goo chance I might be wrong...


No, this is not legal.

During the adjustment phase, you count how many units you have and compare it to the number of supply centers you have. You may make adjustments only if they are different.


Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.