Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the ways a battle ends is with a retreat which causes the retreating player to pay 1 prestige to his/her opponent.

Does this mean I can't retreat if I have 0 prestige because I have nothing to pay my opponent with?

Does a retreat with 0 prestige cause me to lose the game in the same way playing Salpinx Call would?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is correct, if you do not have Prestige, you CANNOT retreat for your life's worth...

What's more, if you have 0 Prestige and you are FORCED to play Salpinx Call as the attacker, you lose the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
What's more, if you have 0 Prestige and you are FORCED to play Salpinx Call as the attacker, you lose the game!

Are you just making a joke here? I don't see this in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.
I never joke when answering a question here, if it isn't discernible as such.

You are correct, this is not in the rules. It is a very rare occurrence, and as such was probably overlooked when the rules were conceived.

However, both author and publisher have stated it as resolution of the situation, somewhere here in the threads...

There is one single escape from insta-loss due to being forced to play Salpinx Call - if the OTHER card nets you the necessary prestige to pay Salpinx Call, you do not lose.

However, if your Prestige Points ever need to go below zero, this is an instant loss. There are also a few Event cards that can result in this being the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Siefken
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi, this just happened to me twice in my third polis game, so it seems it's not that rare. As I wasn't aware of this situation with the Salpinx I took a calculated risk to let my prestige go down to zero, planning a 'pass' shortly. Unfortunately my opponent forced a fight.
In the first instance I 'escaped' because there were no cards left to draw and the conflict ended (so there are strictly speaking 2 escapes). In the second instance he forced a fight I didn't net any victory points and I was forced to use the Salpinx Call and lost the game. It felt like a empty victory as we both didn't expect that. We still did a final tally just to see how we did, beyond this bad luck event.
Now that I know this can happen, I'll try to avoid this situation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fsiefken wrote:
Now that I know this can happen, I'll try to avoid this situation!

This is, of course, the important thing to take away from that match. Next time, you know what you get yourself into - or might even try to get your opponent into just that. It's risky, but it can win you the game. However, it is very unlikely to occur, since you can always play Salpinx Call in your Defense phase. It will net you 1 casualty and no Prestige, but at least it doesn't cost any, either (only during the attack).

I wish you good luck in your future games. May you never have less than 1 PP...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.